British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Loose change (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/loose-change-427676/)

Majj Feb 18th 2007 11:25 pm

Loose change

What do you do with all this bloody loose change? i.e. accumulated quarters, dimes, nickels and cents?

Can't keep them in wallet any longer as it hurts my arse when I sit down.

I did start off by trying to get rid off my change as I went along but it is a loosing battle.

penguinsix Feb 18th 2007 11:29 pm

Re: Loose change

A bucket.

Well, not even that. I just have a cup near my desk and I throw it all in there. Then, about once a month or so, I take it to the supermarket where they have a coin counting machine (they take a %). Just pour it all in there, they print a receipt, and you take it to the counter and get cash.

My friend had a giant waterbottle (office water cooler size) filled with coins. He walked out with about $1300.

TruBrit Feb 18th 2007 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Majj (Post 4420012)
What do you do with all this bloody loose change? i.e. accumulated quarters, dimes, nickels and cents?

Can't keep them in wallet any longer as it hurts my arse when I sit down.

I did start off by trying to get rid off my change as I went along but it is a loosing battle.

in our kroger there's a machine where you can put all your loose change and exchange it for notes...a small charge is made.

Irn-bru Feb 18th 2007 11:36 pm

As well as the above I find at most tills, buckets or something for charity so I usually empty my change there.

AdobePinon Feb 19th 2007 1:01 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4420024)
A bucket.

Well, not even that. I just have a cup near my desk and I throw it all in there. Then, about once a month or so, I take it to the supermarket where they have a coin counting machine (they take a %). Just pour it all in there, they print a receipt, and you take it to the counter and get cash.

My friend had a giant waterbottle (office water cooler size) filled with coins. He walked out with about $1300.

Some of the CoinStars will give you a gift card to various places (choice varies) without taking a %. Trick is to make sure you have between $5 and $50 - otherwise it'll default back to the cash - %.

explorerman Feb 19th 2007 1:33 am

I've got around $500 sitting in a water cooler jug. Me and the missus are saving for something. What it is, I don't know :D

Roy

Texas Mom Feb 19th 2007 1:17 pm

I put mine in a big Radio Shack tin. I tend to get my son something with it if he has been behaving himself. When daddy comes in from work he runs to empty his pockets as we're going for a new bike this time as he has taken a stretch and his current one is a little small. ;)
It's amazing how it mounts up. Two weeks and we have almost $50 in there. Now that's a lot of change!

TimFountain Feb 19th 2007 1:29 pm

Err, just like I did in the UK, use it to pay for things. Only have 15c in shrapnel in my pocket now. I do admit some shopfolk get a bit phased out when you buy something, it comes to, say, $6.10 and you give them $10.10. Monumental confusion sometimes, but they get the hang of it, even if you do have to tell them how to type the numbers into the register....

- To,

TruBrit Feb 19th 2007 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 4421953)
, $6.10 and you give them $10.10. Monumental confusion sometimes, but they get the hang of it, even if you do have to tell them how to type the numbers into the register....

- To,

:rofl: that is so true...bless them they get confussed so easily, be patient :rofl:

ironporer Feb 19th 2007 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 4421953)
Err, just like I did in the UK, use it to pay for things. Only have 15c in shrapnel in my pocket now. I do admit some shopfolk get a bit phased out when you buy something, it comes to, say, $6.10 and you give them $10.10. Monumental confusion sometimes, but they get the hang of it, even if you do have to tell them how to type the numbers into the register....

- To,

Especially the idiot 17 year olds who have never done math without a calculator. I make sure they ring up the purchase and the change from say a $20 bill...then offer them up the odd change or the odd pennies- just for the joy of seeing that 'deer in the headlights' look they give. Half the time (or more) I have to tell the twats how much change to give back.

Maz Feb 19th 2007 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 4422012)
Especially the idiot 17 year olds who have never done math without a calculator. I make sure they ring up the purchase and the change from say a $20 bill...then offer them up the odd change or the odd pennies- just for the joy of seeing that 'deer in the headlights' look they give. Half the time (or more) I have to tell the twats how much change to give back.

Same here, irritating isn't it? :lol:

We put ours in a really large flower vase, then take it to the bank, with 5-year old in tow, so she can see the machine count it all. Nice thing about the bank is they don't take a percentage. ;) Last time we ended up with about $170, nice!

Paul S Feb 19th 2007 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 4422012)

thats very familar. I even one call over their manager as they didn't understand the concept at all:ohmy:
We take ours to the coinstar machine in our local Giant Eagle and exchange them for either amazon vouchers or starbucks cards :blink:

Sophia_S Feb 19th 2007 3:25 pm

I never have to worry about my loose change!...my husband lays in wait for me to come home from shopping and he rifles through my purse to dig it all out then runs and adds it to his 'mad money' gallon jar,then, when he can't sqeeze another coin into it he 'weight lifts' it up and runs up to the bank to get it changed.......usually gets about $350 each time......talk about a kid with a new toy!:lol: ...Oh well,it keeps him happy!.....Sophia
p.s.drives me nuts when the bill needs the odd few cents to pay for something at the check-out and I know it's pointless looking for the odd coins!:blink:

Bob Feb 19th 2007 5:19 pm

banks around here won't take it unless it's rolled up into paper rolls....so just use them for tolls, or poker...yup, high stakes here baby :D

those machines at walmart and the like, there crap, 9% commission at our local.

Paul S Feb 19th 2007 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4422591)
those machines at walmart and the like, there crap, 9% commission at our local.

Bob, I thought they all waived the fee if you took a voucher or a store card :ohmy: (well they do in Ohio;) )