Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Loose change

Loose change

Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Loose change

What do you do with all this bloody loose change? i.e. accumulated quarters, dimes, nickels and cents?

Can't keep them in wallet any longer as it hurts my arse when I sit down.

I did start off by trying to get rid off my change as I went along but it is a loosing battle.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loose change

A bucket.

Well, not even that. I just have a cup near my desk and I throw it all in there. Then, about once a month or so, I take it to the supermarket where they have a coin counting machine (they take a %). Just pour it all in there, they print a receipt, and you take it to the counter and get cash.

My friend had a giant waterbottle (office water cooler size) filled with coins. He walked out with about $1300.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Majj
What do you do with all this bloody loose change? i.e. accumulated quarters, dimes, nickels and cents?

Can't keep them in wallet any longer as it hurts my arse when I sit down.

I did start off by trying to get rid off my change as I went along but it is a loosing battle.
in our kroger there's a machine where you can put all your loose change and exchange it for notes...a small charge is made.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:36 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

As well as the above I find at most tills, buckets or something for charity so I usually empty my change there.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:01 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
A bucket.

Well, not even that. I just have a cup near my desk and I throw it all in there. Then, about once a month or so, I take it to the supermarket where they have a coin counting machine (they take a %). Just pour it all in there, they print a receipt, and you take it to the counter and get cash.

My friend had a giant waterbottle (office water cooler size) filled with coins. He walked out with about $1300.
Some of the CoinStars will give you a gift card to various places (choice varies) without taking a %. Trick is to make sure you have between $5 and $50 - otherwise it'll default back to the cash - %.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

I've got around $500 sitting in a water cooler jug. Me and the missus are saving for something. What it is, I don't know

Roy
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I put mine in a big Radio Shack tin. I tend to get my son something with it if he has been behaving himself. When daddy comes in from work he runs to empty his pockets as we're going for a new bike this time as he has taken a stretch and his current one is a little small.
It's amazing how it mounts up. Two weeks and we have almost $50 in there. Now that's a lot of change!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Err, just like I did in the UK, use it to pay for things. Only have 15c in shrapnel in my pocket now. I do admit some shopfolk get a bit phased out when you buy something, it comes to, say, $6.10 and you give them $10.10. Monumental confusion sometimes, but they get the hang of it, even if you do have to tell them how to type the numbers into the register....

- To,
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimFountain
, $6.10 and you give them $10.10. Monumental confusion sometimes, but they get the hang of it, even if you do have to tell them how to type the numbers into the register....

- To,
that is so true...bless them they get confussed so easily, be patient
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:52 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Err, just like I did in the UK, use it to pay for things. Only have 15c in shrapnel in my pocket now. I do admit some shopfolk get a bit phased out when you buy something, it comes to, say, $6.10 and you give them $10.10. Monumental confusion sometimes, but they get the hang of it, even if you do have to tell them how to type the numbers into the register....

- To,
Especially the idiot 17 year olds who have never done math without a calculator. I make sure they ring up the purchase and the change from say a $20 bill...then offer them up the odd change or the odd pennies- just for the joy of seeing that 'deer in the headlights' look they give. Half the time (or more) I have to tell the twats how much change to give back.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:19 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Especially the idiot 17 year olds who have never done math without a calculator. I make sure they ring up the purchase and the change from say a $20 bill...then offer them up the odd change or the odd pennies- just for the joy of seeing that 'deer in the headlights' look they give. Half the time (or more) I have to tell the twats how much change to give back.
Same here, irritating isn't it?

We put ours in a really large flower vase, then take it to the bank, with 5-year old in tow, so she can see the machine count it all. Nice thing about the bank is they don't take a percentage. Last time we ended up with about $170, nice!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:59 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
thats very familar. I even one call over their manager as they didn't understand the concept at all
We take ours to the coinstar machine in our local Giant Eagle and exchange them for either amazon vouchers or starbucks cards
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I never have to worry about my loose change!...my husband lays in wait for me to come home from shopping and he rifles through my purse to dig it all out then runs and adds it to his 'mad money' gallon jar,then, when he can't sqeeze another coin into it he 'weight lifts' it up and runs up to the bank to get it changed.......usually gets about $350 each time......talk about a kid with a new toy! ...Oh well,it keeps him happy!.....Sophia
p.s.drives me nuts when the bill needs the odd few cents to pay for something at the check-out and I know it's pointless looking for the odd coins!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

banks around here won't take it unless it's rolled up into paper rolls....so just use them for tolls, or poker...yup, high stakes here baby

those machines at walmart and the like, there crap, 9% commission at our local.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:25 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
those machines at walmart and the like, there crap, 9% commission at our local.
Bob, I thought they all waived the fee if you took a voucher or a store card (well they do in Ohio )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.