Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to the USA - IT Professional

Wikiposts

Looking to move to the USA - IT Professional

Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to the USA - IT Professional

Originally Posted by lookingtothefuture
I work for the MoD in the UK and have past experience of working for an international forbes 100 company, I also hold IT industry certifications. I've always wanted to work in the USA, I will not be able to be transferred through work so am wondering what my chances would be of finding a job/company willing to sponsor me and where you advise looking for these job roles?
From the sounds of it your best bet would be to get a job with an outside contractor who can transfer you to the US, or get a job in the MoD or at GCHQ where they will send you to work in the US and then find an outside contractor in the US that will hire you.

Or marry an American.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Pot Noodles taste like shit Super Noodles are where its at!
Tough choice
Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Reply to posts 11 and 13 (my browser got discombobulated)

OTOH - (or: Oy Vay).....Your Experience May Vary)

Last edited by MMcD; Jun 24th 2014 at 8:32 am.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Reply to posts 11 and 13 (my browser got discombobulated)

OTOH - (or: Oy Vay).....Your Experience May Vary)

Barbra Streisand - Papa can you hear me (Yentl) - YouTube
That's the one. Your Oy may Veyry.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny
That's good and funny
That's gunny
Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Jun 24th 2014, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Ha Ha
Gunny up-(wo)manship

Old Jun 24th 2014, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

alas...poor OP
I think it's safe to say this thread isn't what you envisioned when you posted

But you know....it's not unlike a move to the States...one can never predict what might unfold

Boy scout motto: Be prepared...
Old Jun 24th 2014, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD
alas...poor OP
I think it's safe to say this thread isn't what you envisioned when you posted

But you know....it's not unlike a move to the States...one can never predict what might unfold

Boy scout motto: Be prepared...

Yes, sorry OP.

It seemed to have covered the major bases already.

We can switch back to serious if you think of anything else.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
From the sounds of it your best bet would be to get a job with an outside contractor who can transfer you to the US, or get a job in the MoD or at GCHQ where they will send you to work in the US and then find an outside contractor in the US that will hire you.

Or marry an American.
This pretty much.

Being a newish grad, there's really not that much experience or niche skills that'll entice a employer to bother spending thousands on importing you when so many can work today without the cost.