Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Old May 31st 2012, 2:03 pm
  #31  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
big_j is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

FYI, as far as Denver goes, I find the high altitude plays hell with me. I found it very dehydrating and uncomfortable. You might be advised to visit before making a final decision to see if you or anyone in your family has similar discomforts.

Can't speak at all to anywhere else you list; I can only speak to north Texas.
big_j is offline  
Old May 31st 2012, 4:51 pm
  #32  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Midlands - MA - CO-CA
Posts: 2,498
joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Originally Posted by big_j View Post
FYI, as far as Denver goes, I find the high altitude plays hell with me. I found it very dehydrating and uncomfortable. You might be advised to visit before making a final decision to see if you or anyone in your family has similar discomforts.

Can't speak at all to anywhere else you list; I can only speak to north Texas.
It does take a good 3-4 days, sometimes more to get used to the altitude. You have to drink lots of water to try and help counteract it, although you might also get a headache with being dehydrated at this altitude.

There are very few bugs up here to bother you which is a big plus in my book.

Denver is not as big or as busy as London, but much cleaner, although I haven't been to London for a number of years. The infrastructure, roads and bridge maintenance people seem to be on the ball for the most part. Yes, you do get some potholes after a hard, frosty winter, but they are dealt with pretty quickly.

The western line of the light rail will be opening next year and it goes to Golden (government center) not the center of town, which will make it easier to get into the city from some of the western suburbs.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, even back to the UK.
joto is offline  
Old May 31st 2012, 6:36 pm
  #33  
BE Forum Addict
 
Anian's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: WA state
Posts: 2,814
Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

The altitude in Denver is such that you don't feel the heat or cold very much. Makes it feel like a much more consistent temperature throughout the year.
Anian is offline  
Old May 31st 2012, 9:18 pm
  #34  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
big_j is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Originally Posted by joto View Post
It does take a good 3-4 days, sometimes more to get used to the altitude. You have to drink lots of water to try and help counteract it, although you might also get a headache with being dehydrated at this altitude.

There are very few bugs up here to bother you which is a big plus in my book.

Denver is not as big or as busy as London, but much cleaner, although I haven't been to London for a number of years. The infrastructure, roads and bridge maintenance people seem to be on the ball for the most part. Yes, you do get some potholes after a hard, frosty winter, but they are dealt with pretty quickly.

The western line of the light rail will be opening next year and it goes to Golden (government center) not the center of town, which will make it easier to get into the city from some of the western suburbs.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, even back to the UK.
I never spent more than a few days there at a time, so perhaps I would've eventually acclimated. Denver is beautiful but too cold for my taste.
big_j is offline  
Old May 31st 2012, 9:29 pm
  #35  
BE Enthusiast
 
caleyjag's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 921
caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

I'd pick Denver, with SF 2nd.

SF bumped to 2nd purely because the housing situation can be ridiculous. Otherwise it's fantastic.

If your company has an office in Seattle, I'd seriously give that a shot. The best city I've lived in here for sure.

Also a lot of people seem to like San Diego.
caleyjag is offline  
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:56 pm
  #36  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: From a beautiful part of Scotland, now in Colorado
Posts: 265
MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

I live in Colorado, about half an hour's drive from Denver. It's a great state, really nice climate - 300 days or so of sunshine but not humid. It can be below freezing in the winer yet you can still go out without a jacket. Cold in the winter, warm in the summer, spectacular afternoon thunderstorms around June, a proper autumn. If you're remotely outdoorsy the mountains are on the doorstep. Can't comment on housing costs within the city but the surrounding areas are pretty affordable and you can get a lot of space for your money. The lifestyle is pretty relaxed, and the winter sports are top notch.
MadRad is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:34 am
  #37  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
mogmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Hi, I rarely post, but thought I would stick in my tuppenceworth.
I haven't been to any of the places listed, but DH and myself seriously looked at moving to Denver. I know a few people (via internet) who live in that area and it sounds lovely.
FWIW I have four very young children (3 and a half years, 2 year old twins and a four month.... cable is exepnsive, ya know?) and as a SAHM with the kids in Northern Virginia I find the heat, the humidity and the insects etc very difficult to deal with. I like to be outside with the kids, but it can be prohibitively hot in the South (does NoVA count as the South?)
mogmaster is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 7:03 pm
  #38  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6
westcombe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Thanks for all the replies, that certainly helps me figure out where to start!

There definitely seems to be a case for Denver, so that helps narrow down the choices somewhat. I still like the idea of SF, but given all the feedback (and consideration for the grandparents) I'm figuring we can always visit there ourselves. Charlotte is rated as a good office to work in and likely to be an easy switch, so I think that's currently my top 3 now.

A number of you have suggested it would be helpful to know more about budget and specifics - truth is, I don't know exactly what my wage & position might be after moving (depends on office), so I haven't got even a rough budget in mind yet. I know we don't want to increase our accommodation outgoings much regardless, so prob looking at between $1300 - $1800 a month in rent. Things we like are some culture, outdoor activities (e.g. hiking), good food etc - so from I gather Denver fits well.

Will keep you posted with how we get on and I expect I'll be back with more questions when we've moved things on a touch. Thanks so much for all your help so far!
westcombe is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:30 am
  #39  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,798
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Originally Posted by westcombe View Post
I know we don't want to increase our accommodation outgoings much regardless, so prob looking at between $1300 - $1800 a month in rent. Things we like are some culture, outdoor activities (e.g. hiking), good food etc - so from I gather Denver fits well.
That budget would realistically blow SF off your list then.
Bob is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:29 am
  #40  
Forum Regular
 
Leyther's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 293
Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Originally Posted by westcombe View Post
I know we don't want to increase our accommodation outgoings much regardless, so prob looking at between $1300 - $1800 a month in rent. Things we like are some culture, outdoor activities (e.g. hiking), good food etc - so from I gather Denver fits well.
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
That budget would realistically blow SF off your list then.
Denver is very do-able on that budget, it just depends what you are looking for in a house-- size, bedrooms etc.

We only pay $1,375 and live in the Wash Park neighborhood-- commute to downtown takes 15-20min and if you don't want to drive then the light-rail can get you there in about 10min. So you are close enough to the city to enjoy all that a city has to offer, but far enough away that you don't need to live in the middle of it all.

I would take a look at the Wash Park, Platt Park and Highland neighborhoods if you consider Denver. Not sure what your living situation is, but if you don't mind apartment living then Capitol Hill is also a great place with a fun nightlife and walkable to downtown.

Just avoid the place around five-points/Cole/Whitter areas IMHO.

Other areas: Baker (not too bad, few iffy spots but great nightlife), Cheeseman Park (apartments), Congress Park & Park Hill are also worth a mention.
Leyther is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:54 am
  #41  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,530
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Originally Posted by westcombe View Post
Thanks for all the replies, that certainly helps me figure out where to start!

There definitely seems to be a case for Denver, so that helps narrow down the choices somewhat. I still like the idea of SF, but given all the feedback (and consideration for the grandparents) I'm figuring we can always visit there ourselves. Charlotte is rated as a good office to work in and likely to be an easy switch, so I think that's currently my top 3 now.

A number of you have suggested it would be helpful to know more about budget and specifics - truth is, I don't know exactly what my wage & position might be after moving (depends on office), so I haven't got even a rough budget in mind yet. I know we don't want to increase our accommodation outgoings much regardless, so prob looking at between $1300 - $1800 a month in rent. Things we like are some culture, outdoor activities (e.g. hiking), good food etc - so from I gather Denver fits well.

Will keep you posted with how we get on and I expect I'll be back with more questions when we've moved things on a touch. Thanks so much for all your help so far!
You would need to double that budget as a minimum for SF
N1cky is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:58 pm
  #42  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Herts to CA for nearly 10 years and now MD
Posts: 351
jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Originally Posted by westcombe View Post
I know we don't want to increase our accommodation outgoings much regardless, so prob looking at between $1300 - $1800 a month in rent.


If this is truly the case, I really wouldn't bother even considering SF/Bay Area in your consideration set. It would be a waste of your time since anything that you could get in this price range wouldn't be somewhere you would want to live.

Yesterday we went to a friend's new house on the SF Peninsula; they have a rental room in their house. It is a one room studio with bathroom plus a hot plate on the counter to cook. They receive $1750 per month in rent. Now this is in a very nice area, but seriously, $1300-$1800 per month will get you very very little.
jackattack is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2012, 5:20 pm
  #43  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: West Sussex - did 3 years in the US...
Posts: 577
dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

1600 sq ft townhome rental in Silicon Valley is around $3000/month. And that's an AVERAGE. You can go WAY beyond that.

Similar sized house on the market for $925k and sold for $945k in 1 day.

It's madness - totally unsustainable given that the US economy is actually in a much worse state than anyone will admit to (and most of what little infrastructure there is is in bad need of repair/replacement).
dlake02 is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:37 pm
  #44  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6
westcombe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Thanks to everyone who responded to the above thread. By way of an update, after a long drawn out process we've confirmed we'll be moving to Charlotte - in less than 2 weeks no less. Visa's are all approved, just waiting on them to come back from the embassy. I'll admit it's a bit daunting, but think we're looking forward to the change more than anything else now.

This forum has been a mine of useful, reassuring information without my needing to post many questions so thanks to all who've gone before us!
westcombe is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:35 pm
  #45  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,928
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to US - advice on location needed

Originally Posted by westcombe View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to the above thread. By way of an update, after a long drawn out process we've confirmed we'll be moving to Charlotte - in less than 2 weeks no less. Visa's are all approved, just waiting on them to come back from the embassy. I'll admit it's a bit daunting, but think we're looking forward to the change more than anything else now.

This forum has been a mine of useful, reassuring information without my needing to post many questions so thanks to all who've gone before us!
Congrats on your impending move to the Queen city
Sue is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.