Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Florida

Looking to move to Florida

Old Aug 13th 2019, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Florida

We left Houston which has a similar climate to Florida, about 20 years ago, so no doubt my numbers are out of date, but in the summer, which lasts a longtime, our airco/elec bill was around $600 a month, and our property taxes $800 a month. Dont kid yourself with what you get for your money, house wise. OK, you are getting more space, but because of the low quality house construction, the upkeep is far higher than say in the UK, where you have real bricks and mortar.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:20 am
Just Joined

DallasMama is an unknown quantity at this point

I think your budget is somewhat realistic if you were renting but not if you were owning. Property taxes vary state to state but for example here in TX we pay over $1k a month on our $500k home. I noticed you hadn’t calculated any home maintenance expenses. My husband is extremely handy and has learnt how to do lots of things himself thanks to YouTube, but we still just paid $1400 to have a pool part replaced and it’s $300 for even the smallest plumbing or electrical job. Then there’s pool maintenance (even if you do it yourself the chemicals add up), pest control, lawn maintenance, security alarm fees...this all adds up. You also didn’t budget for clothing, toiletries, haircuts, kids activities, school supplies, medical and dental expenses...
My husband has top of the line employer provided medical and dental insurance and we pay about $600 a month for it pretax. A policy that isn’t subsidized by an employer that is just $900 a month has probably very high deductibles .
I also think $700 a month for groceries is a bit ambitious. I cook a lot at home and if I do a $150 grocery shop that’s not going to include quality meats and certainly not nappies or wine!
In regards to your wife getting a degree that’s a fantastic idea- but getting one in education or special needs won’t get her a visa and most likely not even employment because it won’t be transferable. I would focus on you making yourself valuable enough to get a transfer with your current job and make sure your wife will be able to work too. If she can work she could possibly set up her own in home daycare center and make a nice income that way.
I recommend you take a look on Zillow at neighborhoods you are interested in and this will give you a good idea of property taxes, property prices and school ratings.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
S'pose it varies but I have $35/month for water/sewer/trash and not much more than $150 electric, in summer most of which is A/C. I have no pool.
wow, your utilities are way cheaper than ours. Water, trash and sewer are between 85 to 90 a month (no pool and just 2 of us). We have recently got a better electric deal, this year so far bills have been below 200. Our temps have been super high for weeks now, I think the A.C. never stops! But with M retired now I'm expecting higher bills in the coming months.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DallasMama
Property taxes vary state to state but for example here in TX we pay over $1k a month on our $500k home.
I nearly choked when I read this! If you don't mind a nosy question, what services does the property tax cover?
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:29 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
wow, your utilities are way cheaper than ours. Water, trash and sewer are between 85 to 90 a month (no pool and just 2 of us). We have recently got a better electric deal, this year so far bills have been below 200. Our temps have been super high for weeks now, I think the A.C. never stops! But with M retired now I'm expecting higher bills in the coming months.
As I understand, we benefit from tourist tax
Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I nearly choked when I read this! If you don't mind a nosy question, what services does the property tax cover?
Texas has some of the highest property taxes, as it has to make up for the money missing on income tax. So it basically covers everything.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidra.../#6b614211b1c1
Things are supposed to be bigger in Texas, but state income tax rates are an exception. This state does not levy an income tax on its residents. Further, the state’s constitution restricts the passage of an individual income tax and for what those proceeds can be applied. While Texas has a series of corporate income taxes, most revenue comes from sales and property taxes.
Sales taxes currently range 6.25-8.5%, depending on the municipality. Property taxes are bigger in Texas and average around 1.86% of a home’s value, per year.

Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Texas has some of the highest property taxes, as it has to make up for the money missing on income tax. So it basically covers everything.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidra.../#6b614211b1c1
Things are supposed to be bigger in Texas, but state income tax rates are an exception. This state does not levy an income tax on its residents. Further, the state’s constitution restricts the passage of an individual income tax and for what those proceeds can be applied. While Texas has a series of corporate income taxes, most revenue comes from sales and property taxes.
Sales taxes currently range 6.25-8.5%, depending on the municipality. Property taxes are bigger in Texas and average around 1.86% of a home’s value, per year.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Moses, I found it very interesting
Old Aug 13th 2019, 9:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, since I didn't read the whole thread, but you don't appear to have any retirement savings budget in there.

Depending on age, you should really be looking at 15% of your gross going to a 401(k) plan - especially if you plan to be in the US for the rest of your life.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has top of the line employer provided medical and dental insurance and we pay about $600 a month for it pretax. A policy that isn’t subsidized by an employer that is just $900 a month has probably very high deductibles .
I also have top of the line dental insurance, and for want of a better word it's crap - the coverage limit is $2k a year, which I understand to be fairly typical when it comes to dental.

I get the distinct impression that American dentists love rinsing Brits for every cent they can, since they love fixing and working on all the cosmetic stuff that just isn't seen as a priority in the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Moses, I found it very interesting
You should also look into recapture, also known as "Robin Hood". Much of the extortionate property taxes (or rather, the school taxes) that we pay in places like Austin never actually make it through the doors of our local school district.

The history behind it is pretty interesting, and it helps explain why income tax (or the lack, thereof), property tax and school funding are such tricky issues here in Texas.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

DallasMama is an unknown quantity at this point

That’s a great explanation of property taxes Moses! When we lived in NJ we paid $1k a month property taxes plus state income taxes 😬 I actually feel like I do get something back for my property taxes. Both of my kids are special needs and if we didn’t have such good schools in our district they would have to go to private schools which would cost us a lot more than $12k a year. My youngest will be going to preschool at no cost to me due to his disability and the same program is close to $20k at a private school.
TexanScot- same thing with the dental insurance.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:36 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I think your budget is somewhat realistic if you were renting but not if you were owning. Property taxes vary state to state but for example here in TX we pay over $1k a month on our $500k home. I noticed you hadn’t calculated any home maintenance expenses. My husband is extremely handy and has learnt how to do lots of things himself thanks to YouTube, but we still just paid $1400 to have a pool part replaced and it’s $300 for even the smallest plumbing or electrical job. Then there’s pool maintenance (even if you do it yourself the chemicals add up), pest control, lawn maintenance, security alarm fees...this all adds up. You also didn’t budget for clothing, toiletries, haircuts, kids activities, school supplies, medical and dental expenses...
I also think $700 a month for groceries is a bit ambitious. I cook a lot at home and if I do a $150 grocery shop that’s not going to include quality meats and certainly not nappies or wine!
In regards to your wife getting a degree that’s a fantastic idea- but getting one in education or special needs won’t get her a visa and most likely not even employment because it won’t be transferable. I would focus on you making yourself valuable enough to get a transfer with your current job and make sure your wife will be able to work too. If she can work she could possibly set up her own in home daycare center and make a nice income that way.
I recommend you take a look on Zillow at neighborhoods you are interested in and this will give you a good idea of property taxes, property prices and school ratings.
There's much above that I would second...
  • For a family of 5, $700 a month groceries is too low
  • House maintenance costs - if you are buying a house - whatever you estimate will not be enough
And a biggie...
  • Whether it is wise to buy or rent will depend on visa type
Good to plan long term, not so worthwhile to plan at this level of detail this far ahead.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

When I read these numbers I am glad to be in Tennessee. I have two year old house with detached garage, much of which I built with super insulation and very efficient heat pump. All electric house with water heater, electric fireplace and electric clothes dryer which my wife uses at least twice a day. Our electric bill averages $80 per month on a yearly basis. We take our own garbage for free to recycling center and our water bill is about $35/month. We are in a beautiful subdivision on a 11,000 acre lake. I am not waterfront but have a minimal lake view. My property tax is $289 per YEAR. Tennessee has no state income tax. It is no surprise that a lot of people are moving and retiring in Tennessee.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajh_92

Health care was discussed as part of the package but we have taken the worst case scenario, so if it wasn't we would fund it ourselves so we have added it to the forecasted budget. If it is part of the package then great.

Andy
Personally, if a company was not offering a health insurance scheme as part of the package, then I would not take the job. Company health insurance provides much better coverage and with less restrictions than an individual policy out in the market place. Plus, the company pays a portion of the monthly premiums.

Having a company health scheme is one of the main requirements when taking a job in the US.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

A quick Google suggests around the 1.5% mark for Property Tax in Florida, about what I pay in Georgia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.