Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking into an E2 visa, but need information on kids

Looking into an E2 visa, but need information on kids

Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Islandmac79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking into an E2 visa, but need information on kids

We are in the Los Gatos school district but send our children to Hillbrook, which we love. You’ll see that lots of the school districts in Silicon Valley score a
10 and so when we moved we gravitated towards them. 10 is better than 9, right? Interestingly, I had a couple of friends who sent their children to 9 rated school districts and I was always more impressed with their schools when I would go and visit (art shows,
School plays etc) so I would say look widely. There are
Lots of reasons why some school districts seem to score higher and I wouldn’t say that it is because they are absolutely better. Bear in mind that state schools are on a restricted program at the present time following budgetary cuts and that the schools are often much bigger than we are used to in the U.K. My son went from a primary with 80 to one with nearly 500, it was a culture change!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fivehals
That’s so interesting thank you for that information! We’re moving to Silicon Valley in a matter of weeks and decided to put the children into our local state schools and see what happens. Although no one from the district has replied to any of my emails so who knows! 🤷🏼‍♀️
Where abouts are you?
Whereabouts are you moving to? We are in Los Gatos
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:49 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islandmac79
Hi,

Good luck with your visa application!

We relocated to California 3.5 years ago. We are currently going through our visa renewal process. When we moved our children were 7 and 2. We were advised by an American friend to look at private schools as we would likely find state schools lacking. We were moving to Silicon Valley and our school district was in the top 10 or so in the Country so we felt confident we would be ok. Assimilating our 7 year old, who was open-minded, quietly confident and good in school, was the biggest challenge. Whilst i am not advising against the move, i think we underestimated how challenging it would be. I would advise to look at private schools. And tour a few, its interesting to hear the questions that other people ask - you dont know what you dont know in this situation. I always remember anparent asking whether the school taught evolutionary theory or creationism. Interestingly, we were never allowed to tour the state schools in out area. We also found that they were some way behind academically.

A couple of key things that we noted: 1. the playgrounds were largely unsupervised. There was a lot of undetected bullying. 2. There were some differences in the way that things were taught and the language used to explain them eg my son found the maths transition very hard because the vocabulary around it is so different. I wish that I had been a bit more aware on these things as I would have tackled them sooner.

The area that you live in (at least in California) very specifically determines which school your children will attend so that puts a lot of pressure on your property choice.

The assessments that the school undergoes is not the same as ofsted. I sat on the school board for the first year that we lived there, so I am speaking with sone degree of insight.

I’m cautious to advise against state schools but our experience was not a good one. Our children both go to private school very happily and we are enjoying our life in the States. Perhaps if you go on a reccy you could try and get a trial day or two for your children at different schools now. Bear in mind to check term times (as they are very different from the UK) and application windows: for us private schools have everything wrapped up by March. Also bear in mind that property prices might fluctuate as the academic year registration starts in good state school districts.

We don’t intend to live in the US forever, for us it is a wonderful experience and an adventure. There have been some challenges and lots of times when we have wondered whether we have done the right thing, in fact I think the emotional journey is shared by every ex-pat I know. Ultimately we believe that we have given our children a wonderful experience, not better than they would have had in Europe but different. And we value broad and different. My husband and I have both lived abroad, doing it with children has been a new experience. I wish you lots of luck with your decision and your application.

L
That’s so interesting thank you for that information! We’re moving to Silicon Valley in a matter of weeks and decided to put the children into our local state schools and see what happens. Although no one from the district has replied to any of my emails so who knows! � ����� ����‍♀️
Where abouts are you?
We're kind of hijacking the thread a little here. We're also in Silicon Valley, Mountain View, to be precise.

My daughter was 5 when we moved to Los Angeles, she went to 2 private schools there. The first one we all hated, and couldn't wait to get out of, we lasted 6 months. The second one, which was much less prestigious, was a much better fit. We moved to MV when she was 8, and went with the highly ranked public school, I very much regret this. We then transitioned into the public middle school (which I regret even more). For high school we moved to a Charter School in Sunnyvale, which 1.5 years in has been the best experience we've had of schooling in the US, I really wish we'd known about it earlier, and she'd gone to middle school there.

There are elementary charter schools too, I would highly recommend looking into those. They are free, but run in a different way to public schools. Most focus more on independent learn at your own pace learning. For kids who are easily bored in class, like mine, it's a great option.

Happy to answer any questions.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Fivehals is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Islandmac79
Whereabouts are you moving to? We are in Los Gatos
We’re moving to Campbell, although we looked all over the place, my husbands office is in Santa Clara. The School I liked the look of best was in Sunnyvale and only rated a 5 but it just seemed so lovely, but I couldn’t find any suitable housing there. A little while away there is a good charter middle and a nice elementary I would have liked to have lived near but again, no housing options for when we needed so it’s good to hear Nicky’s response to charter school as that’s an option. (Sorry I haven’t figured out how to quite two people on my phone haha).
I’ve had good feedback for the schools but time will tell. I’m not opposed to moving them if it doesn’t suit!
Mine are just excited about not wearing uniforms *eye roll*
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

We’re moving to Campbell, although we looked all over the place, my husbands office is in Santa Clara. The School I liked the look of best was in Sunnyvale and only rated a 5 but it just seemed so lovely, but I couldn’t find any suitable housing there. A little while away there is a good charter middle and a nice elementary I would have liked to have lived near but again, no housing options for when we needed so it’s good to hear Nicky’s response to charter school as that’s an option. (Sorry I haven’t figured out how to quite two people on my phone haha).
I’ve had good feedback for the schools but time will tell. I’m not opposed to moving them if it doesn’t suit!
Campbell is a lovely place to live. The school that we had the most awful experience with was Mulberry so steer well clear of that. I’d advise to get engaged with the local recreation service and start getting engaged with summer camps. You can sign up with recreation camps in other districts too - so Los Gatos does a sailing camp at Vasona Park which is highly rated and sells out fast. Summer camps are a big thing here, presumably your children will be in school for the last month of term and will likely want to do things over the summer with their new friends. If you have any local questions feel free to message me
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

The charter school my daughter is at is in Sunnyvale.

I love no uniforms here, there's really no need to make all kids look and dress the same.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I love no uniforms here, there's really no need to make all kids look and dress the same.
Except that peer pressure makes nearly everyone "look and dress the same" by the time they are in high school...
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Except that peer pressure makes nearly everyone "look and dress the same" by the time they are in high school...
I don't agree with this. My daughter is 16, every school event or sporting event we attend, the kids are dressed differently, with their own style.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with this. My daughter is 16, every school event or sporting event we attend, the kids are dressed differently, with their own style.
I was referring to day to day clothes to go to school.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:27 pm

I was referring to day to day clothes to go to school.
So was I. But as I don't go into the school EVERY day, I said every school event or sporting event. This includes drop off and pick up if I need to be spell it out in such detail.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So was I. But as I don't go into the school EVERY day, I said every school event or sporting event. This includes drop off and pick up if I need to be spell it out in such detail.
Why the defensiveness/snarkiness just because I disagree with you?

You actually said "every school event or sporting event we attend".

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 10th 2018 at 10:41 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway, this is the kind of thing I'm referring to:

Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:33 pm

Why the defensiveness/snarkiness just because I disagree with you?
Not because you disagreed, but because apparently I needed to point out every instance that I meant it. When I clearly meant at school, because we were talking about not wearing uniforms to school.

Does your teenager dress the same as all his/her friends for school?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:35 pm

Because that second photo isn't staged at all is it
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Because that second photo isn't staged at all is it
Reflects my experience of being a high school parent...

I will bow out now as you don't seem to be able to discuss it other than with added snark.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 10th 2018 at 10:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.