Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long weekend to Washington, D.C.

Long weekend to Washington, D.C.

Old Mar 8th 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long weekend to Washington, D.C.

My friend and I are planning a trip to DC at the end of May for 3 nights. Arriving Thursday, leaving Sunday. I have been once before but as a student and spent (wasted) the 2 days drinking in George Town so different trip this time. She has been a couple of times. We are both into American history, civil war etc, good food.

Apart from the usual places, any hidden gems to find, must see and do? Interesting restaurants? I think we need to book a tour of the Capitol in advance. Any other places that need advance reservation?

Thanks, any insight appreciated.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long weekend to Washington, D.C.

Originally Posted by Orangepants
My friend and I are planning a trip to DC at the end of May for 3 nights. Arriving Thursday, leaving Sunday. I have been once before but as a student and spent (wasted) the 2 days drinking in George Town so different trip this time. She has been a couple of times. We are both into American history, civil war etc, good food.

Apart from the usual places, any hidden gems to find, must see and do? Interesting restaurants? I think we need to book a tour of the Capitol in advance. Any other places that need advance reservation?

Thanks, any insight appreciated.
My favorite is the former Custis-Lee Mansion, now known as the Robert E. Lee Memorial, at Arlington National Cemetery. It was Lee's home, but the Union turned the grounds into a cemetery so that he would never live there again. It's a place that always moves me, thinking of him pacing the floor all night trying to decide if he should give up his Union commission and support the Confederacy. The Kennedy memorial is nearby in the cemetery.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

We did a Segway tour of the city. It hit the highlights, Capital, White House Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial etc., but it was a fun way to see the sights.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The Mall, Capitol Building, The Museums (could easily spend a week looking around), Union Station, The Monuments/Memorials, Arlington Cemetery. Take the trolley bus to get around the city. Hop On Hop Off bus tour.

D.C. Is one of my favourite cities to visit. The weather at the end of May should be fabulous. I'm sure you and your lovely friend will have a great time.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The Mall, Capitol Building, The Museums (could easily spend a week looking around), Union Station, The Monuments/Memorials, Arlington Cemetery. Take the trolley bus to get around the city. Hop On Hop Off bus tour.

D.C. Is one of my favourite cities to visit. The weather at the end of May should be fabulous. I'm sure you and your lovely friend will have a great time.
We went the third week of may two years ago and it was torrential rain every day....I think we just got unlucky.
The new African American museum is now open and that will be a must visit on my list next time we go.
The holocaust museum had a redo and have a huge new exhibit....it was there when we last time but not when we went 5 years ago.
We really enjoyed the national zoo....if you are lucky enough there will be some opportunity to see the primates use the over head swinging enclosure 👍
Enjoy your visit, it's such a wonderful place .
Old Mar 10th 2017, 1:23 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Eastern Market - Market Lunch is a famous 'dive' of a restaurant that's written up in Conde Nast, NY Times as the best lunch spot. Famous for crab cake sandwiches. Eastern Market Metro.

Georgetown you've seen, but you can walk around some bits of it as a tourist rather than a drunk. The Exorcist stairs (from the movie) are at 36th and M basically.

There is a small fort in NW DC where President Lincoln was shot at by invading Confederate soldiers. It's the only battle that took place in DC during the Civil War. Manasses and the Battle of Bull Run are a short drive out in VA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_S...ashington,_D.C.)

Have you been to Annapolis? It's a nice day trip out of the city if you want to hang with the sailing set and Midshipmen at the Naval Academy.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Orangepants
My friend and I are planning a trip to DC at the end of May for 3 nights. Any hidden gems to find, must see and do?
Check out our DC City Guide on the British Expats Wiki

The hot art exhibit at the moment is Kusama's Infinity Rooms at the Hirshorn. Long lines and reservations are needed. They release passes online at noon of the Monday the week before e.g. the next release of passes is at noon on March 13 for dates the week of March 20. There are a limited number of same day passes available but lines are long.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately we cant get tickets for African American - tickets for May were released early Feb. I booked a staff-led tour, through the SC Gov office, of the Capitol which includes the galleries.
So much to see.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend the Smithsonian's depending on your fatigue levels you can do a whole day in them!
We always go full out tourist and do the hop on hop off tours, easy way to get around and see the sites, and saves the leg work!