Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long Weekend equals Loooong trip

Long Weekend equals Loooong trip

Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Long Weekend equals Loooong trip

So, are you getting veterans day off and hense a long weekend?
I am and have somehow managed to get myself conned into helping out a friend go to collect his new, (well new to him) boat. All sounds fine so far until I mention that we live in Flagstaff, AZ and the boat in question is currently in McCordsville, IN wherever the heck that is??
Anyway drive there looks straightforward enough even if it is going to be trading off 24 hours straight. The journey back becomes much more interesting though, since the boat is 10 feet wide, it becomes an oversized load and hense subject to permits and all kinds of what time of day you can drive it like half and hour before and after sunset in some states but not others, not on Sunday in Oaklahoma and Texas I believe. kinda means we have got to go along I-70 then down through CO and UT into AZ on the way back to avoid all the states with restrictions that we would hit going the more obvious I-40 route, will still have to leave Indiana early on Saturday in an attempt to get through Kansas before dusk or will be overnighting there, leaving a lot of driving for Sunday and hense no weekend - should be fun, no?

What plans have you got for the long weekend, got to be better than that?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Weekend equals Loooong trip

Originally Posted by aznewsh
So, are you getting veterans day off and hense a long weekend?
I am and have somehow managed to get myself conned into helping out a friend go to collect his new, (well new to him) boat. All sounds fine so far until I mention that we live in Flagstaff, AZ and the boat in question is currently in McCordsville, IN wherever the heck that is??
Anyway drive there looks straightforward enough even if it is going to be trading off 24 hours straight. The journey back becomes much more interesting though, since the boat is 10 feet wide, it becomes an oversized load and hense subject to permits and all kinds of what time of day you can drive it like half and hour before and after sunset in some states but not others, not on Sunday in Oaklahoma and Texas I believe. kinda means we have got to go along I-70 then down through CO and UT into AZ on the way back to avoid all the states with restrictions that we would hit going the more obvious I-40 route, will still have to leave Indiana early on Saturday in an attempt to get through Kansas before dusk or will be overnighting there, leaving a lot of driving for Sunday and hense no weekend - should be fun, no?

What plans have you got for the long weekend, got to be better than that?
I am going to get my haircut - nah think you win!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have Friday and the following Monday off. MIL and SIL are flying in on Saturday, so there are my plans.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks....

Our plans...getting the car inspected...be a bugger if I do get this job and we end up moving...be a big waste of money after registering the car, new title and plates...hmmm...arse
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:51 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Im off work - just plan to laze around

Ant
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

i gotta go christmas shopping with the missus!

i think id rather be causing traffic jams with a boat!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:38 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

This weekend I will be mainly moving into my new house. Furniture has arrived in Denver from Blighty via Port Houston, customs, Chicago, Omaha, and finally Denver. Fingers crossed we should get it at the house tomorrow and then it's bye bye crappy rented apartment and hello domestic bliss in the foothills
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking Thursday and Friday off for a weekend cruise to the Bahamas.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:49 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I will try to finish painting my bathroom.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be working...
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:31 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I will be collecting my daughter from the airport Sunday after her first trip back to the UK for 2 years, then hopefully stuffing my face with some Galaxy chocolate and cheese and onion crisps.........bliss!!!!!!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
I will be collecting my daughter from the airport Sunday after her first trip back to the UK for 2 years, then hopefully stuffing my face with some Galaxy chocolate and cheese and onion crisps.........bliss!!!!!!
That was my craving when I was pregnant with my daughter, chocolate and cheese 'n' onion crisps together.

Hubby doesn't get any time off for Veteran's Day but the kids are off Thursday and Friday for NJ Teachers' Convention.

The first year we were here for Veteran's Day my then 5 yr old daughter insisted that we go and get some vitamins for Vitamin's Day.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:34 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robskatie
I'll be stuffing my face too. There were a few 'luxury' food items stowed away in our container. It'll be good to get stuck in!! After living on restaurant food and take-aways for the last three months I long for some home cooked grub. Even the over cooked and watery sludge that my wife calls boiled taita's!!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Going backdown to Portland, have an Infopass appointment and plan to bang some heads together so they pull there fingers out...