Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long term car hire rates

Long term car hire rates

Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Long term car hire rates

I arrived in the US on Saturday (Stamford Connecticut). I arranged car hire for 30 days through Hertz before arriving as its going to be not so easy purchasing one - have to have a CT driving license before you can register a vehicle.

I was quoted $678 plus tax for the month and was told this included insurance. When I picked up the car today was told the cover was limited and advised to take out a liability insurance supplement which raises the liability limit to $1 million. This costs an extra $12.95 per day. They also added on personal accident cover at $5.95 per day without asking me (I would be covered for this through my company).

This brings the total monthly charge to $1340 which is a lot more than I had originally planned for.

Do I just suck it up and try and pass the test as quickly as possible in order to purchase / register a car? Or does that seem a lot for 30 days car hire inc insurance?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term car hire rates

Originally Posted by EricK
This brings the total monthly charge to $1340 which is a lot more than I had originally planned for.
That works out to about $45 a day - not entirely unreasonable. The US is a very litigious society... so, since you ask - if it was me, I'd just suck it up and pass the test ASAP.

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:30 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you can return the car early and only be charged for what you used. Budget is great for this - we had a two week hire when we arrived and returned it after eight days.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:21 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Long term car hire rates

I arrived in the US on Saturday (Stamford Connecticut). I arranged car hire for 30 days through Hertz before arriving as its going to be not so easy purchasing one - have to have a CT driving license before you can register a vehicle.

I was quoted $678 plus tax for the month and was told this included insurance. When I picked up the car today was told the cover was limited and advised to take out a liability insurance supplement which raises the liability limit to $1 million. This costs an extra $12.95 per day. They also added on personal accident cover at $5.95 per day without asking me (I would be covered for this through my company).

Do I just suck it up and try and pass the test as quickly as possible in order to purchase / register a car? Or does that seem a lot for 30 days car hire inc insurance?

I know this is of no help to you, but just to make you feel better, my husband is leasing a Nissan Murano in Singapore and it's costing a whopping S$24,000 per year (approx US$17,000)
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:59 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Well you got them to remove the personal accident insurance, right?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonrob
Well you got them to remove the personal accident insurance, right?
Only noticed it on the invoice after I left - will be calling them this morning.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:49 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Only noticed it on the invoice after I left - will be calling them this morning.
Assuming it would be useless anyway as they wouldn't pay out if you were also covered elsewhere. (Dual insurance can be a nightmare full stop as neither company may want to pay out).
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps get AAA and see about getting a AAA discount, I think Hertz offer one, might be Enterprise though, can't remember.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by avanutria
Make sure you can return the car early and only be charged for what you used. Budget is great for this - we had a two week hire when we arrived and returned it after eight days.
You need to make sure that you can do this. When we returned to the US from an expat assignment in China, our employer paid for 30 days car hire for us while we bought a new car. We purchased a new car (a fabulous VW TDI) after about 3 weeks and then immediately returned the hire car but didn't get any cash back since the original rental was a monthly contract regardless of how long we used it. This might be because it was part of a corporate rate but not sure and didn't chase up since the company was paying, not us.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Undefeckable will become famous soon enough

Many of the rental firms have a 31 day max limit per rental.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

We live in New Canaan, CT so just a few miles from you. To register a car in CT you can do so with a State ID, not necessarily a CT license. In order to drive here legally you really should have a CT license if you are staying however we used the loophole of getting an international driving permit from the good old post office which allows us to drive on that for 1 year.

PM me if you'd like so one to one advice.

D
Old Mar 6th 2010, 4:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Check to see if your credit card covers any bits of the insurance they offer, such as the collision damage waiver or such.

The price is actually pretty reasonable for a 30 day rental, btw.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
used the loophole of getting an international driving permit from the good old post office which allows us to drive on that for 1 year.

D
That is only for a visitor -- you are a resident. You really need to get a CT license.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
...In order to drive here legally you really should have a CT license if you are staying however we used the loophole of getting an international driving permit from the good old post office which allows us to drive on that for 1 year.
Are you sure that's not for residents though? So students rather than someone here for work.

Worth double checking because if your wrong and get involved in an accident, your insurance will void you like shit off a shovel.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

chopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nice

This is off-topic but I would be sure to book through an airmile club get airmiles on long rentals. Most of the airlines partner up with the major car rental companies. At the moment American are offering triple airmiles and 20% off with Hertz. Your rental would get you 4500 airmiles. If you aren't in an airline airmile club you should join-its free. You might be able to claim the airmiles as a missing mileage credit. I have had one free flight across the pond so far and half of the airmiles were earned through car rentals, hotels etc.