Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Wikiposts

Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Old Oct 30th 2006, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

hoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nicehoegaarth is just really nice
Default Re: Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I work in a high demand field but I do compete with H1B visa holders for jobs. The work culture in my field is also such that it is easy to be hired as a contractor but difficult to be hired as an employee. Ergo -- no paid vacation and if you do get hired on as an employee, the average stay in any one job is usually less than five years so that you don't accrue vacation.

The work culture is also to not take much vacation, with the exception of going back to one's home country periodically.

I wish this would change and things would go back to the way they were 20 years ago, but I'm not holding my breath!
Yeah, it does suck - it does seem to be a real battle. And health care seems to be costing more every year, for less coverage.... I'm seriously thinking of moving back to the UK!