Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Wikiposts

Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
I guess sometimes its worth putting in the time to give your career a really good bump up, short term pain for long term gain??
problem is, you then get stuck into it because it's expected, and you get hooked into any medical insurance benefits and you start building up holiday time...
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well there not feeding them good enough I know that, my Hubs will be home in a few weeks and six months of Ship food, or I should say shit food has made him loose 45lbs
got a cousin out in Afghanistan...well fed, have all the entertainments of home, cinema, shops, the works...but then it's a old large Russian base, she's now being shipped to a "hot" zone which is a lot smaller and everyone was told to send as much of there stuff back home before they move.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
got a cousin out in Afghanistan...well fed, have all the entertainments of home, cinema, shops, the works...but then it's a old large Russian base, she's now being shipped to a "hot" zone which is a lot smaller and everyone was told to send as much of there stuff back home before they move.
Poor Lass, she'll come back looking like Twiggy
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:43 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mary
Hi

I am being interviewed at the moment for jobs in the US (hopefully starting October next year when the new H1B come in). I am an auditor looking to work in public practice firms or Big 4. Now all I hear is that in the US you have to work really long hours (weekends too) and have barely no holiday (1 week seem to be the norm). I am starting to think it is not worth coming to the US if all I do is work. I am not lazy, but 100 hour week seem a bit much to me…
Hello Mary,

Its funny you should post this. I just gave notice at my job that I will be leaving to go and work through agencies (Engineering). Its a bit of a risk, but the wife gets health bennies (that's the BIG hurdle), and I will make a fair bit more as a contractor and try to save up enough cash to "create" more holiday time by taking a couple of weeks or so off in between contracts. Well, we'll see how it goes.

Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by britvic
Poor Lass, she'll come back looking like Twiggy
her M16 is already wider than she is *lol*
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am being interviewed at the moment for jobs in the US (hopefully starting October next year when the new H1B come in). I am an auditor looking to work in public practice firms or Big 4. Now all I hear is that in the US you have to work really long hours (weekends too) and have barely no holiday (1 week seem to be the norm). I am starting to think it is not worth coming to the US if all I do is work. I am not lazy, but 100 hour week seem a bit much to me…
I am a counselor, but I do have experience of working in an office here (the first two years here, I worked as an insurance agent). It is VERY high pressured here. It will make the UK seem quite laid back in comparison. You always have to be at the top of your game, the higher up you go the more vulnerable you are to others who want your job (and it is very cut throat here). In my profession, I am constantly having to go to school to keep my licence current. Long hours, few vacations. I think you should do it though, because I think it will look good on your resume (CV).
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Long hours no holiday, is it worth it?

Hi all and thank you all for your help!!

As it is, I have been practically offered a job in Florida, near Miami (I am going there to check it out in a few days). Hopefully it will all work out, as they sound like a really nice firm. They said that they will sponsor me for an EB2 greencard, although I am a bit worried as I heard (from an attorney) that it takes 3/4 months, but the people over at the immigration board all say a few years.. Ah well, we will see!

Thanks again
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all and thank you all for your help!!

As it is, I have been practically offered a job in Florida, near Miami (I am going there to check it out in a few days). Hopefully it will all work out, as they sound like a really nice firm. They said that they will sponsor me for an EB2 greencard, although I am a bit worried as I heard (from an attorney) that it takes 3/4 months, but the people over at the immigration board all say a few years.. Ah well, we will see!

Thanks again
What's an EB2 GC? What visa will you be coming to the US on?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:37 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What's an EB2 GC? What visa will you be coming to the US on?
It's a GC through employment, EB2 is the second preference category, usually requires a higher degree. I would imagine it would take a bit longer than 3/4 months, but it's still better than waiting for an Oct 07 start.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
It's a GC through employment, EB2 is the second preference category, usually requires a higher degree. I would imagine it would take a bit longer than 3/4 months, but it's still better than waiting for an Oct 07 start.

Are you saying she doesn't need a visa?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you saying she doesn't need a visa?
No, I don't, the GC and visa are two separate things, if I get a GC I would not need an H1B..

Although whever it happens or not, I don't know!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hello

I guess it depends on what your hours will truly be.........but if your up for an adventure I say go for it........ and you will be in Florida "little Britain" apparently (or so I'm told by others here ) long hours with lots of sunshine
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Probably take longer than that to get...EB1 perhaps, but it's still a wait for EB2/3
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
Hello

and you will be in Florida "little Britain" apparently (or so I'm told by others here ) long hours with lots of sunshine
Well poor Ray this morning said he had a blanket around him
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:08 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Probably take longer than that to get...EB1 perhaps, but it's still a wait for EB2/3
Tell me about it Bob, you're preaching to the preached here.

After sitting patiently for 31 months for hubby's LC to be processed under the old system, thinking he would be filed as an EB3 so no matter, they tell us he's going to be filed as an EB2. The attorneys should've converted him to PERM at least a year ago, and we would probably have had our cards by now. They are now putting in a PERM ap alongside the old ap, and have been told we should have it by this time next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.