Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A long drive ahead.

Wikiposts

A long drive ahead.

Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A long drive ahead.

Originally Posted by joto
Our son is 22. He is no problem, but he won't be doing any of the driving as he's not insured for my SUV. Our rottie shouldn't be a problem when I'm driving, but our boxer constantly whines and barks when he is in the car. He can see me, but wants to be right next to me, which just isn't safe. They will be on leashes tied to the tiedowns in the back. Hence the ace. Don't want to be staying at the pimp and whore house. We want to keep as close to the highways as possible. I do have a GPS system, but it has been known to mis-direct at times.
Oh dear, I would not tie the dogs. If you had an accident, you'd likely snap their necks.

May I suggest either one of those barriers, that prevents them from getting into the front? Or, that would be an ideal use for the travel crates, keeps them safer.

None of the Motel 6 that I've been in were at all scary. Not fancy, but clean and safe enough.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Oh dear, I would not tie the dogs. If you had an accident, you'd likely snap their necks.

May I suggest either one of those barriers, that prevents them from getting into the front? Or, that would be an ideal use for the travel crates, keeps them safer.

None of the Motel 6 that I've been in were at all scary. Not fancy, but clean and safe enough.
I've always thought it was extemely dangerous to leave dogs leashed in a car. Indeed a barrier or crate would a better option IMHO.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've always thought it was extemely dangerous to leave dogs leashed in a car. Indeed a barrier or crate would a better option IMHO.
Here,

Take a look at this story;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7204543.stm

Jim.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Here,

Take a look at this story;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7204543.stm

Jim.
LOL yeah there was a thread about that a week or so ago in the Lounge.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
LOL yeah there was a thread about that a week or so ago in the Lounge.
Apologies for the repeat. The Lounge is a place that I do not frequent.

Jim.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We recently drove from Michigan to Texas with our dog. Our vet didn't want us to give him anything stronger than dramamine. She said that sedating him would just disorientate him and might make him feel worse than he already does when in the car (he gets motion sick). The dram. worked well. It made him a little sleepy but "with it" enough to happily get out of the car to go to the bathroom etc. It might be worth getting your son insured for your SUV for those times when you need a break but would like to get those extra miles under the wheels....a lot of insurances will allow anyone that you give permission to to drive your car. Good Luck !
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hi. We recently drove from Michigan to Texas with our dog. Our vet didn't want us to give him anything stronger than dramamine. She said that sedating him would just disorientate him and might make him feel worse than he already does when in the car (he gets motion sick). The dram. worked well. It made him a little sleepy but "with it" enough to happily get out of the car to go to the bathroom etc. It might be worth getting your son insured for your SUV for those times when you need a break but would like to get those extra miles under the wheels....a lot of insurances will allow anyone that you give permission to to drive your car. Good Luck !
Generally insurance allows any licensed driver that does not live with you.

She probably could add the son, then remove him a week later. Would have to ask the insurance co., but they'd probably charge her for the remainder of the six month period, then credit her.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
We are in the process of buying a house near Denver, CO. We will be moving around the end of March or beginning of April. I will be driving from Massachusetts with our son and our 2 dogs. (Hubby is already there). If anyone has done such a long drive before. I know it would take about 3-4 days because I don't want to drive for hours at a time and risk falling asleep at the wheel. We would have to find places to stay that would be able to accomodate 2 largish dogs. I would just have to visit their vet to get some acepromazine for them. Any tips and suggestions welcome.
Give yourself 4 days. .... I-90, I-80 most of the way, drive safe.

Done it a few times
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:25 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Give yourself 4 days. .... I-90, I-80 most of the way, drive safe.

Done it a few times
Hey Patrick, I've wanted to ask you this. What top 3 drives would you recommend taking in the country haven been all over the lower 48 yourself? Sorry to the OP for taking a tangent.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: A long drive ahead.

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Hey Patrick, I've wanted to ask you this. What top 3 drives would you recommend taking in the country haven been all over the lower 48 yourself? Sorry to the OP for taking a tangent.
I'll step in here...seeing as though I do the touristy stuff

One of the most scenic drives I've done has been in Colorado.

From Kansas City I-70W to Limon, CO.

US 24 to Colorado Springs (Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak Cog Railroad)

CO 115S to Florence, CO.

US 50W to Salida, CO (Visit Royal Gorge or go Whitewater Rafting).

CO 285S to US 160W

US 160W to Durango (3 nights here)

US 160W to Mesa Verde National Park (Pueblo Indian Cliff Dwellings)

(Overnight in Durango)

Do Durango - Silverton on Narrow Gauge Railroad (It's Spectacular - Return by Coach)

CO 550N to Ouray (Mountain Jeep Rides & Million Dollar Highway) C.W. McCall (who sung Convoy) used to be the Mayor here. Continue to Grand Junction

Colorado National Monument (Breathtaking Views)

I-70E to Glenwood Springs (Hot Springs)

I-70E to Denver (Visit Vail & Georgetown)

I-70E to Kansas City

Not a bad trip......done it a few times.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Feb 6th 2008 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:25 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Read an article the other day which said it's becoming increasingly difficult for allergy sufferers to find pet-free rooms at hotels these days. By the sounds of that it would seem you wouldn't have too much trouble finding places that would accept your dogs (watch out for those extra fees though). Definitely wouldn't consider smuggling pets in though as it's not fair on the housekeeping staff nor possibly the next guest who stays after you.