Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A long drive ahead.

A long drive ahead.

Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default A long drive ahead.

We are in the process of buying a house near Denver, CO. We will be moving around the end of March or beginning of April. I will be driving from Massachusetts with our son and our 2 dogs. (Hubby is already there). If anyone has done such a long drive before. I know it would take about 3-4 days because I don't want to drive for hours at a time and risk falling asleep at the wheel. We would have to find places to stay that would be able to accomodate 2 largish dogs. I would just have to visit their vet to get some acepromazine for them. Any tips and suggestions welcome.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A long drive ahead.

Originally Posted by joto
We are in the process of buying a house near Denver, CO. We will be moving around the end of March or beginning of April. I will be driving from Massachusetts with our son and our 2 dogs. (Hubby is already there). If anyone has done such a long drive before. I know it would take about 3-4 days because I don't want to drive for hours at a time and risk falling asleep at the wheel. We would have to find places to stay that would be able to accomodate 2 largish dogs. I would just have to visit their vet to get some acepromazine for them. Any tips and suggestions welcome.
I cant be of much help I am afraid. But I will be doing a similar road trip from CT but only as far as MO in the next few months. We want to take a scenic route and do the archetypal US road trip type thing. We will have no kids in tow but one rabbit. Good luck finding hotels to put up your largish dogs.
Most hotel sites like expedia etc will tell you if places are pet friendly. Start searching there and then paln your route around that and map quest I guess. Good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
I cant be of much help I am afraid. But I will be doing a similar road trip from CT but only as far as MO in the next few months. We want to take a scenic route and do the archetypal US road trip type thing. We will have no kids in tow but one rabbit. Good luck finding hotels to put up your largish dogs.
Most hotel sites like expedia etc will tell you if places are pet friendly. Start searching there and then paln your route around that and map quest I guess. Good luck.
Marriot Resident Inns take pets...so do the Sheraton but the 'pet' rooms are very limited at the Sheraton.

If it's only overnight would it be possible for your pets to stay in the car overnight?

I have 2 small 'silent' dogs...I can smuggle them in anywhere.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:28 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Thruway rest stops usually have pet walking areas. They definitely do on I90 though New York.

You should be able to do Boston - Cleveland in a day... I've driven Rochester to Chicago in one day several times. Usually stop for lunch in Cleveland.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Try these sites for hotels:

http://www.petfriendly.com/

http://www.dogfriendly.com/

And there will be more. Many hotels will have a policy that you cannot leave your dogs in the room when you're not there. This can be tricky if you're looking to pick up some dinner, etc. I would bring crates that you can set up in the room, and something that will keep them occupied if need be (maybe a couple of Kongs with peanut butter if they likes that sort of thing).

We took our labrador to Maine and drove there and back, so it can be done, you just need to plan ahead a bit. I think several hotels in the Comfort Suites line allow dogs ... generally nicer hotels will not.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:45 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I drove Philadelphia to Denver and took three days, the return, via Chicago, took three also, but they were full days of driving. There was less traffic back in '68, too.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: A long drive ahead.

You are probably looking at 4 x 500 mile days to get to Denver. That's about 9 hours each day + breaks.

It's quite a haul....especially if you are not used to driving long distances. The good thing is that the massive construction project on the south side of Chicago is now finished, so, you should have a smooth run around there.

Bad news.....toll roads all the way from Mass to Chicago.

Jim.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:50 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not yet a member of the AAA, it might be worth joining as they'll help you with trip planning, including finding hotels that welcome dogs.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. The tips & info are relly helpful. Elvira, I am a member of AAA but just hadn't thought of them. Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Motel 6 takes dogs. They may technically take 1, but I've had two in there - they never noticed.

Why do you want to ace the dogs? Won't they ride ok in the car? I'm not sure it's the best to tranq them for days, although possible I suppose. I'm wondering if valium might even be safer (I'm not totally fond of ace). Also, some dramamine can make them sleepy (get your vets advise of course). I've found on interstates my dogs generally get bored with the project after being annoying for the first bit, and just sleep anyway.

Maybe find a BE member at the end of each day to infest with your dogs and child I'd offer (four dogs, what's two more) but I might be completely full of in-laws (outlaws?) at that time.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:19 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Motel 6 also takes crack-whores and pimps.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your son? My 4 year old can't manage a few hours in the car never mind a few days. A few hours on a plane sounds like it would be much easier for all. You can still drive the car over alone, without having the son and drugged up dogs!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get your car serviced properly before you go, oil, tyres, radiator and all that fun stuff...AAA is handy, and worth it if you get stuck, and get discounts on places to go.

10 hour stint is about as far as my arse can handle before turning into cauliflower, but a mate that moved down to Austin, TX from here in MA did the drive in two days, with a couple petrol stops and a kip at a holiday inn, that's about what, 1500 miles? With pets, you'll want a lot more stops to give them a run around though.

Definitely worth getting an ez pass though as the tolls will be killer on the small change...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our son is 22. He is no problem, but he won't be doing any of the driving as he's not insured for my SUV. Our rottie shouldn't be a problem when I'm driving, but our boxer constantly whines and barks when he is in the car. He can see me, but wants to be right next to me, which just isn't safe. They will be on leashes tied to the tiedowns in the back. Hence the ace. Don't want to be staying at the pimp and whore house. We want to keep as close to the highways as possible. I do have a GPS system, but it has been known to mis-direct at times.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Cross country trips are great! Even with the extra challenges.

Many of the Choice Hotels will take pets (maybe a $20 fee) and you can stack up points toward a free stay. Free b-fast & wireless internet at most of them too.
http://www.choicehotels.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.