Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living And Working in Georgia (Tornadoes)

Living And Working in Georgia (Tornadoes)

Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:12 pm
Banned

Atlanta is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Living And Working in Georgia (Tornadoes)

Hi,

I have been offered a permenant job in Atlanta,Georgia. I am afraid of moving there because of Tornadoes?I will be moving there with 2 kids and wife?Are there any Australians/Brit living and working in Atlanta,Georgia region?

When driving and sleeping during night how to save yourself from Tornadoes?

Any tips or suggestions for living with family and working in Atlanta,Georgia?

Thanks,
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Living And Working in Georgia (Tornadoes)

Originally Posted by Atlanta
Hi,

I have been offered a permenant job in Atlanta,Georgia. I am afraid of moving there because of Tornadoes?I will be moving there with 2 kids and wife?Are there any Australians/Brit living and working in Atlanta,Georgia region?

When driving and sleeping during night how to save yourself from Tornadoes?

Any tips or suggestions for living with family and working in Atlanta,Georgia?

Thanks,
Where in Atlanta do you expect to be working and living? History shows that most tornados seem to touch down in Georgia, in Hall county, which is NE of Atlanta. Most states, if not all, are liable to get tornados, some more than others. Local TV and radio go a good job of keeping people informed when there are tornado possibilities. All places I have worked do a tornado rehearsal once a year, and have tornado shelters. You should have a room in your residence you can go to, preferably a basement, if a tornado threatens. Most communities have sirens, which sound when a tornado has been sighted. To be honest, you shouldn't be driving if a tornado is around. If you do happen to be driving, when a warning is issued, you need to drive away from it. I've been real close to three, but others on this forum may be able to help you more.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living And Working in Georgia (Tornadoes)

No offense, but I can't help but laugh at this, but I suppose the irrational fear of tornadoes is similar to why I'd never move to California because of earthquakes.

Atlanta, tornadoes are not an everyday occurance, so you don't need to have an everyday concern about them. The forecasters typically let you know several days in advance if there is a possibility of severe weather, but there isn't a great deal you can do to prepare for it. You can ensure you know your 'safe place' in the house, and ensure you have a weather-band radio to get any warnings (esp important if the power goes out). The best thing you can do is to familiarize yourself with the surrounding areas so you know if a tornado is approaching you, so that you have adequate time to take cover. If you know that severe weather could be approaching, then try to change any plans you may have (if that makes you feel more secure) and stay home. If a tornado has been sited on the ground, you will hear the sirens go off, esp if you are in an urban area. The sirens are remniscent of air raid sirens, so you won't be able to miss them (though I have slept through a few) when they go off. They scared the living sh*t out of my OH when he first heard, and I don't deny they are hair-raising even for me, but you just need to know what to do in the situation, and hope it passes.

The way I look at it, I have better luck in missing a tornado, unlike a typhoon/hurricane that destroys large swathes of area and earthquakes that you have no idea are coming. Give me a tornado any day.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:24 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living And Working in Georgia (Tornadoes)

I'm closing this thread. OP is a previously banned member who seems to have nothing better to do than waste our time.