Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in UK & Filing IRS tax return - Help!

Living in UK & Filing IRS tax return - Help!

Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in UK & Filing IRS tax return - Help!

Actually I just had a look at the instructions for 1040NR which also seem to cover this situation.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Actually I just had a look at the instructions for 1040NR which also seem to cover this situation.
Thank you everybody it was the instructions for the completion of the 1040NR which was confusing. Where do you put what? They are withholding a few thousand dollars so worth getting back.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:25 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Thank you everybody it was the instructions for the completion of the 1040NR which was confusing. Where do you put what? They are withholding a few thousand dollars so worth getting back.
You should definitely go to the US Embassy and ask there.
Does your daughter have a TIN?

Here is what I would probably do.....don't take this as gospel and check with someone who is a professional or the Embassy. Their phone hours are limited so keep trying. I'm also assuming the Amazon royalties are you daughters only US sourced income and she isn't a US citizen.

After filling out the personal details at the top, as I posted before, I'd enter 0 on line 18 as you have no US taxable royalties. Then enter 0 on the rest of the calculated lines 23, 35, 36, 37, 41, 44, 51, 52, 60.

Now to the tax that was withheld. Did Amazon send you a 1099? You should enter the tax withheld on line 61a, enter the same amount on line 69.

Now the good bit.

Line 70 enter the difference between your taxable income , 0, and the tax withheld.....this is your refund. Write in the same amount in line 71a.

So that's the 1040NR

Now fill out the 8833, enter personal details and check the first check box

1a United Kingdom
1b Article 12
2 IRC 61:871(a)
3 I assume its something like Amazon, this should be on the 1099
4. leave blank
5. Royalty paid to NRA, UK citizen, resident in UK is only taxable in the UK, I am claiming a refund of withholding tax.

Last edited by nun; Oct 26th 2012 at 4:47 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun

Here is what I would probably do.....don't take this as gospel and check with someone who is a professional or the Embassy. Their phone hours are limited so keep trying. I'm also assuming the Amazon royalties are you daughters only US sourced income and she isn't a US citizen.

After filling out the personal details at the top, as I posted before, I'd enter 0 on line 18 as you have no US taxable royalties. Then enter 0 on the rest of the calculated lines 23, 35, 36, 37, 41, 44, 51, 52, 60.

Now to the tax that was withheld. Did Amazon send you a 1099? You should enter the tax withheld on line 61a, enter the same amount on line 69.

Now the good bit.

Line 70 enter the difference between your taxable income , 0, and the tax withheld.....this is your refund. Write in the same amount in line 71a.

So that's the 1040NR

1a United Kingdom
1b Article 12
4. leave blank
5. Royalty paid to NRA, UK citizen, resident in UK is only taxable in the UK, I am claiming a refund of withholding tax.
Nun, you will go straight to Heaven nun-stop! Don´t know about the 1099.

Yes it is the only form of US income.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun

Now the good bit.

So that's the 1040NR

1a United Kingdom
1b Article 12
4. leave blank
Yes she has a TIN.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:43 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she has a TIN.
Good, so I'd fill in the forms and get down to the US Embassy to have the logic checked. I'm not a professional and I have never filed a form for your daughter's situation so I would not want you to take my advice without getting a second opinion.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Good, so I'd fill in the forms and get down to the US Embassy to have the logic checked. I'm not a professional and I have never filed a form for your daughter's situation so I would not want you to take my advice without getting a second opinion.
She is 200 miles away from the Embassy unfortunately. Just checked and hasn´t received anything from Amazon.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:55 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

She is 200 miles away from the Embassy unfortunately. Just checked and hasn´t received anything from Amazon.
So how does she know the tax that has been withheld. She must have some documentation that shows her royalties and the amount of tax withheld
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
So how does she know the tax that has been withheld. She must have some documentation that shows her royalties and the amount of tax withheld
I think Amazon tell her but not on this special form.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
1099 won't come till January, no?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
1099 won't come till January, no?
Yes, good point, what tax year are we talking about here, 2012? If so you'd get the 1099 in Jan 2013
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be getting a 1099, that's for US citizens and residents only. Non-resident aliens get a 1042-S which details specifically the withholding and why it was withheld (using codes which mean nothing unless you look them up).
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

If they haven't actually done the withholding yet the logical thing to do is give them a completed W-8BEN and then they're not supposed to do the withholding. Problem solved.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
If they haven't actually done the withholding yet the logical thing to do is give them a completed W-8BEN and then they're not supposed to do the withholding. Problem solved.
They have done the withholding which is what she is trying to get refunded and yes it is the last tax year.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

They have done the withholding which is what she is trying to get refunded and yes it is the last tax year.
It's correct that your daughter will get a 1042-S (not a 1099 which is the equivalent for US citizens or residents) that will show all the tax withheld by Amazon. When were the royalties paid and the tax withheld? In 2011 or 2012? Remember the US tax year runs from Jan 1st to Dec 31st, so it's not the same as the UK's. As others have said your daughter should file a W-8BEN with Amazon asap to stop further withholding.