Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living part time USA

Living part time USA

Old Jun 11th 2012, 11:51 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living part time USA

Originally Posted by Ray
two of my friends could not get there renewed this past winter

http://www.gathergoget.com/
Do they have SS numbers? We are talking about B2 visitors visas here and getting a license on that sound like an error and I would not get one to avoid confusion over residency and tax issues.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Do they have SS numbers? We are talking about B2 visitors visas here and getting a license on that sound like an error and I would not get one to avoid confusion over residency and tax issues.
You could get florida licences up until the last year or so on a B-2
it was valid just the 180 days
all the snowbirds had them it helped a great deal with the insurance cost

then this new directive came in about federal Real I-D Act and that was the end of that
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you can not get a DL with a Visitor Visa in CO, but why bother when you have 12 months on your UK one.

A friend of mine who admittedly was abusing the B2 big time, on one entry was taken to Secondary where the guy searched for some time to try and find a DL. The impression was that if he had had one he would have been on the next plane back.

Years ago you had to get a US DL to drive in at least some States and of course SSN's were easy to come by.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:25 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You could get florida licences up until the last year or so on a B-2
it was valid just the 180 days
all the snowbirds had them it helped a great deal with the insurance cost

then this new directive came in about federal Real I-D Act and that was the end of that
Snowbirds are usually US citizens with SS numbers putting them in a different category to B2 visa holders.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Snowbirds are usually US citizens with SS numbers putting them in a different category to B2 visa holders.
...and Canadians.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Here in my part of florida Snowbirds are those people with weird tags who cant drive.... canadians and Brits by the thousands and a smattering of northerners mainly Michigan

other areas have all ohio people ..and so forth .. they are like tribes ..
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
This sounds strange to me. Drivers licenses are issued state by state, but usually you need proof of residency. On a B2 you would generally use your own foreign license and an international permit.
My Dad renews his DL on arrival each year as it gives him access to cheaper car insurance. He has a SSN - not sure if this makes a difference.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 4:07 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonrob
My Dad renews his DL on arrival each year as it gives him access to cheaper car insurance. He has a SSN - not sure if this makes a difference.
SSN makes a huge difference as it's require to get a license in most states. I would still be careful about residency status though as your dad seems to be in a bit of a "twilight zone".
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:44 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
SSN makes a huge difference as it's require to get a license in most states. I would still be careful about residency status though as your dad seems to be in a bit of a "twilight zone".
Are you talking about residency status from a tax perspective? They usually spend I'd say 5 months and change per year in the US spread across one or two visits. The rest of the time is in Italy where they do have official residency status.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonrob
Are you talking about residency status from a tax perspective? They usually spend I'd say 5 months and change per year in the US spread across one or two visits. The rest of the time is in Italy where they do have official residency status.
Yes I meant from a tax perspective. They don't spend enough time to be resident and the B2 is a non-resident visa so they are probably ok, but things like having a state driving license is one of the factors used to determine residency for tax purposes, so it just complicates things. I'd get rid of the state license and just drive on the Italian one.