Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living expenses cheaper in UK or USA?

Living expenses cheaper in UK or USA?

Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living expenses cheaper in UK or USA?

Originally Posted by Pugilation
Don't forget to put the right information on the customs declaration too. My fiancee sent me some of our save the date cards to mail out, and put the value on there as $35, and even though it was marked as a gift I still had to pay a customs fee.
By "the right information" you obviously mean "the wrong information".
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to put the right information on the customs declaration too. My fiancee sent me some of our save the date cards to mail out, and put the value on there as $35, and even though it was marked as a gift I still had to pay a customs fee.
I wouldn't have marked those as a gift...I would have written NCV (no commercial value) in the amount column.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I wouldn't have marked those as a gift...I would have written NCV (no commercial value) in the amount column.
Good to know, she's sending Christmas presents for my nieces in the next week or so.

The annoying thing was that by HMRC's rules, $35 is below the £34 limit above which goods attract a VAT charge. The doubly annoying thing was that the Royal Mail couldn't waive or refund the fee, and HMRC's process for reclaiming it was utterly labyrinthine so despite them admitting on the phone that it was a mistake it totally wasn't worth the time and effort to make the claim.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, she's sending Christmas presents for my nieces in the next week or so.

The annoying thing was that by HMRC's rules, $35 is below the £34 limit above which goods attract a VAT charge. The doubly annoying thing was that the Royal Mail couldn't waive or refund the fee, and HMRC's process for reclaiming it was utterly labyrinthine so despite them admitting on the phone that it was a mistake it totally wasn't worth the time and effort to make the claim.
For gifts I write the cost...but save the date cards are not a gift IMO. I haven't sent gifts to the UK for years...I order online and have them delivered.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
..... I haven't sent gifts to the UK for years. .... I order online and have them delivered.
That's what we do, it's easier, saves the shipping cost, and avoids the issue of the recipient being handed a bill to receive a present.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's what we do, it's easier, saves the shipping cost, and avoids the issue of the recipient being handed a bill to receive a present.
And may allow procrastination up to and including Christmas Day.*

* YPMMV.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
And may allow procrastination up to and including Christmas Day.*

* YPMMV.
oh yes!!

Amazon vouchers sent Christmas Eve.... my excuse was that I wanted them to be a surprise!
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:50 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In this case ordering online for direct shipment was not an option.

Anyway, the parcel was sent today and will not attract a bill for the recipient. They are also aware that, if all the devious planning fails, the parcel should just not be accepted by them.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh crap, I really need to get on with mailing out stuff to the UK for Christmas. Time is passing me by quite quickly at the moment.