Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living by a bayou in Houston? Mosi alert?

Living by a bayou in Houston? Mosi alert?

Old May 12th 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Living by a bayou in Houston? Mosi alert?

Er... this sounds like a daft question but we've found a house that checks all the right boxes for us size, location, price-wise etc. etc. but a bayou runs behind the back fence (and it's not a huge yard). A Houston-based friend thought that the mosquitoes there might be worse than anywhere else due to the bayou.

Does anyone have any experience of living by one of those things and is it any worse than anywhere else?

I know this probably should be tacked onto the "Is Houston sh!t or not?" thread...

Cheers,

Doug.
Old May 12th 2009, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living by a bayou in Houston? Mosi alert?

The mozzies will be much worse the closer you are to 'standing water', so if you are, they will be
Old May 12th 2009, 12:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Er... this sounds like a daft question but we've found a house that checks all the right boxes for us size, location, price-wise etc. etc. but a bayou runs behind the back fence (and it's not a huge yard). A Houston-based friend thought that the mosquitoes there might be worse than anywhere else due to the bayou.

Does anyone have any experience of living by one of those things and is it any worse than anywhere else?

I know this probably should be tacked onto the "Is Houston sh!t or not?" thread...

Cheers,

Doug.
Hey - the poll has spoken - Houston is lovely.

And if there are mosquitoes there then they'll be really nice ones.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Hey - the poll has spoken - Houston is lovely.
Well, that was your interpretation
Old May 12th 2009, 1:18 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Wonder if you could get some flow into the water some how...

Then again what the ***** is a bayou...the description on Wikipedia is a bit 'loose'

Last edited by MrEmjoy; May 12th 2009 at 1:21 pm.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Wonder if you could get some flow into the water some how...

Then again what the ***** is a bayou...the description on Wikipedia is a bit 'loose'
In Houston-speak, a bayou is a flood-control channel. Houston is flat as a pancake and prone to heavy rain, so the bayous drain the storm water into the bay.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
In Houston-speak, a bayou is a flood-control channel. Houston is flat as a pancake and prone to heavy rain, so the bayous drain the storm water into the bay.

I think Dougster needs to be worrying more about his house flooding than the mosquitoes. Make sure it is well elevated, and I mean well elevated, flooding is a major problem in the area (been there, done that)
Old May 12th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I think Dougster needs to be worrying more about his house flooding than the mosquitoes. Make sure it is well elevated, and I mean well elevated, flooding is a major problem in the area (been there, done that)
Yeah, good point. Flooding/overtopping is a much bigger worry to living near a bayou than mosquitos. Bray's Bayou runs right past the Texas Medical Center, and basements in the TMC have been flooded more than once.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:27 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Yeah, good point. Flooding/overtopping is a much bigger worry to living near a bayou than mosquitos. Bray's Bayou runs right past the Texas Medical Center, and basements in the TMC have been flooded more than once.
I went for a wander around the Bayou when I was in Houston last summer.

98 degrees as it was getting dark, mosquitos the sie of my fist and alligators everywhere. The birds were amazing... it was a wildlife paradise and i LOVED it.

Each to their own though - Mozzie spray and plug ins are readily available. Id love to live there.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I went for a wander around the Bayou when I was in Houston last summer.

98 degrees as it was getting dark, mosquitos the sie of my fist and alligators everywhere. The birds were amazing... it was a wildlife paradise and i LOVED it.

Each to their own though - Mozzie spray and plug ins are readily available. Id love to live there.

I have no problem living here but in reality living by a bayou can be a major problem and with all the building going on in and around Houston it is getting worse. We have lived in our house for almost 18 years now, at first the bayou was no problem and seemed to be far enough away not to cause a problem but after lots of major tropical storms and hurricanes we are now in a flood zone and the banks of the bayou break pretty regulary. We have even built a levy all around our property to help the problem but it is still very frustrating. If we ever move it will not be anywhere near water again..
Old May 12th 2009, 6:11 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75

Cheers,

Doug.

Hi Dougster75, I have a Bayou that runs right at the end of my road - we're three houses away from it and I don't find it to give me any more mozzies in the back yard than if I'm at a friends house that's not close to the bayou. I live in Katy which is West Houston. Lots of trees around us, standing water etc but honestly don't find it a problem. We're not a flood plane, but as many peeps have said on here, it's worth having flood insurance as when the big storms come the streets likely flood and you don't want to take any chances - for the minimal cost it is to have it on your policy, it's worth the piece of mind. Hope this helps.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:37 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

For the extra few bucks a year, I would also recommend the flood insurance.

As for the little b@st@rds.... They are supposed to stay within 150 yards of standing water. I don't think that is entirely true.

I'm getting a Skeetervac which clears about 1 acre around the device of most biting type of insects!

(I live in Spring on the Northeast side of Houston.)

Old May 12th 2009, 9:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
As for the little b@st@rds.... They are supposed to stay within 150 yards of standing water.
They don't. I live atop a hill many miles from anything bigger than a large drop of water on the ground.... and they come.

But they don't bite me - I am a native. They DO bite my imported husband.

If it's not too large an area of standing water, there are safe tablets you can put in to kill the larvae. This would obviously be expensive if we're talking a BIG pond.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:11 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
I'm getting a Skeetervac which clears about 1 acre around the device of most biting type of insects!
Originally Posted by snowbunny
If it's not too large an area of standing water, there are safe tablets you can put in to kill the larvae. This would obviously be expensive if we're talking a BIG pond.
Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
What, Houston? Bit extreme just for a mozzy problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.