Old Jul 28th 2002, 12:21 pm
Jadm

Default Re: LIVING IN AMERICA, by AN AMERICAN

EXCUSE ME...i DIDNT write that...merely crossposted it *

Old Jul 28th 2002, 2:20 pm
Andrew Defaria

Perdue wrote:

> Hmmmm...freedom of religion...I'm not American, but I do believe that is one of the
    > fundamental constitutional rights, isn't it? The woman who was photographed with
    > her face covered is, presumably, Muslim, and, also presumably, from a sect which
    > dictates that women shall remain covered. All she was doing was exercising her
    > constitutional right to practise her religion. Which, after all, is what America is
    > about. The founding fathers may have been Christian, but at least they had the
    > grace to recognize that not everyone is.
    >
    > 'Nuff said.

Not 'Nuff said. Yeah but what she's attempting to get is a privilege, that of a
drivers license and they are rules for that. One rule is that your photo must be
taken and that your face must be exposed. You don't like the rules? You want to
exercise your freedom of religion? Fine. Don't get a drivers license. You don't have
a right to a drivers license.

That said it's said that we have allowed PC to bend the rules in this case.

Old Jul 28th 2002, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Tis true janesays, tis true! Most religions worship the same God, who cares if he is called by different names... Bramah, Allah, Jesus, whatever! That is like us getting offended by someone saying let's "renezvous" instead let's meet. We use words like "shmooze" and "pronto" because other cultures came here and introduced those words... I'm sorry I was harsh in the last posts but I get very passionate about people being prejiduce.
Old Jul 28th 2002, 4:20 pm
Matta Harri

In article <[email protected]>,
Andrew DeFaria <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Not 'Nuff said. Yeah but what she's attempting to get is a privilege, that of a
    > drivers license and they are rules for that. One rule is that your photo must be
    > taken and that your face must be exposed. You don't like the rules? You want to
    > exercise your freedom of religion? Fine. Don't get a drivers license. You don't
    > have a right to a drivers license.
    >
I agree. we have rules for driving, which includes your picture on the
ID. If they don't like it, we have plenty of public transportation, taxis, buses,
trains, planes, you name it. There is nothing written in stone in our
constitution about driving being an essential freedom. She can either play by the
rules, or find herself a driver, from where I sit.

If we allowed such behaviors (religious or otherwise) to preponder in driving, then
every tom, dick, and harry out there would dream up a new religion, and it would
probably include covering the entire head/face/neck as a requirement. Can you imagine
trying to issue a driver's license to someone like this? This is why we cannot give
an inch on this issue, because there will always be someone out there who will take a
mile and abuse it.

Frankly, I think she is stupid for not taking off the headress, and I consider that
to be yet another denigration of the worth of women, but it's her choice, and she has
no constituional right to drive.

matta

Old Jul 28th 2002, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

The original poster was not being prejudiced, in fact, if you read what he has to say he was doing quite the opposite, he is saying that he has no beef with immigrants or other cultures. He is complaining about the same immigrants having a problem with the USA despite living here, he is complaining about people attempting to change the culture of the country because they find it objectionable, what he is saying is that the US should not have to change the things that make it the US to suit a minority. These things are the language and lifestyle and laws. On the point of In God We Trust, the only succesful challenge to this ethos, that which objected to the saying of Under God in schools, came from an American, so I do disagree with him there. Whilst some immigrants do try to change the way things are done to make things like home, not all of them do, indeed a small minority in actual fact. By the same token, the people who are most keen to change the way America is, are not immigrants, but Americans. After all, laws do not get changed by immigrants, immigrants cannot even vote, unless they become citizens, in which case they are as american as the next man. The only people who change laws are congress, and you have to be an American to sit there, so whilst emigrating to a country and then trying to change it is reprehensible, it is not just immigrants who are calling for change, it's Americans too, and an immigrant is as entitled to his freedom of speech as an American, and if you disagree with this principle, you disagree with one of the founding principles of America.
Old Jul 28th 2002, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

cbernard is an unknown quantity at this point

The lady who is posing in a burka for her drivers license, and those who have allowed her to do it, are missing the point of the drivers license photo. It's not a vanity photo -- it's a photo for identification purposes. If this lady commits a crime, weather intended or not, the photo is so she can be tracked down, these photos are not taken for persecution, but for everybody's protection.

I am wondering how many criminals are going to claim they are Muslim and try to do the same thing in order to hide their identity. They opened a Pandora's box here.

Imagine trying to pull this crap with the immigration photos we have all had taken. How quickly would the decline letter be sent to you?
Old Jul 28th 2002, 6:20 pm
Telman.8

"jadm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Posted by an American on 7/26/02
    >
    > IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT.

I am sure the original Americans - "West/Red" Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, etc. will be
delighted by this very belated acknowledgement that the "whiteskins" are immigrants
and should accept and adapt to those who were here long, long, long before
"Americans" were even dreamed of.

Welcome to the real world.

Telman

Old Jul 28th 2002, 7:20 pm
Samantha

[email protected] (jadm) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > by the way!.....i posted it to get your opinion....i didnt write it and it doesnt
    > mean i agree with it(sorry was on the "go-slow" yesterday and hit "send" before i
    > was done)

This is very interesting. I have looked for the original source of this article that
was posted. And everywhere its just a link some one else posted. Does any one have
_any_ idea exactly where this newspaper is?

I looked for the specific article in question under the newspapers from Tampa. I
failed to see anything.

I am inclined to believe that there was no real article printed, besides a troll of
some sort.

-Samantha

Old Jul 28th 2002, 7:20 pm
Matta Harri

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
(Samantha) wrote:
    >
    > I am inclined to believe that there was no real article printed, besides a troll of
    > some sort.
    >
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...PAG=461&dept_i
d=17782&rfi=6

matta

Old Jul 28th 2002, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I have seen it before, not sure where but it has been around for a while
Old Jul 28th 2002, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

christine1438 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that if you come to America, or any other country for that matter, it is important to retain your culture, but to also adapt to the country that you are intending to stay in and make yourself a part of. When I was dating my fiance and went to his country, Pakistan, I made it a point to dress in their clothes, eat their food and respect their general way of life by adapting to it as best as I could. By doing this the people I was staying with felt that I was being respectful, I did not stand out and never had any problems.

Here in America, my husband's family still dress in their cultural dress of Pakistan, only eat the foods they are used to and 99% of the time speak in Urdu and hardly make an effort to speak or learn english. I find this disrespectful to me and this country. His family is constantly telling me that I need to learn their language, well, no, I do not! Here in America we speak English and they should learn it!! They should adapt, not me. My husband speaks English, he wears American clothes, he eats all kinds of food. This is the way it should be.

When my ancestors came here 100 years ago, they learned to speak English and adapt to American ways, yet retaining much of their Italian and German culture and language. Oh, by the way, I also come from Cherokee ancestry, so I am Native to America as well.

P.S. Islamic rules do not say anything about a woman having to cover her face. That is something that evolved over the years by men wanting to hide their women. By this woman's religion their is no rule about her covering her face and this NEVER should have been allowed!!
Old Jul 28th 2002, 11:20 pm
Samantha

"Posted by an American on 7/26/02 After hearing that the state of Florida changed its
opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her drivers license with her face
covered, I believe this is even more appropriate. Read on, please!"

The original post is posted above.

> http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...PAG=461&dept_i
    > d=17782&rfi=6

The link above points to a story where a woman was REFUSED her driver's license
picture because of the burka. Furthermore, West Chester and Frazer (the places
mentioned in the story) is in Pennsylvania, NOT Florida.

-Samantha

Old Jul 28th 2002, 11:20 pm
Matta Harri

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
(Samantha) wrote:
    > > http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...dept_id=17782-
    > > &rfi=6
    >
    > The link above points to a story where a woman was REFUSED her driver's license
    > picture because of the burka. Furthermore, West Chester and Frazer (the places
    > mentioned in the story) is in Pennsylvania, NOT Florida.
    >
Try reading the BOTTOM half of that URL and you will find the Florida story
referenced!! Duh!!

matta

Old Jul 29th 2002, 12:20 am
Mrtravel

cbernard wrote:
    >
    > The lady who is posing in a burka for her drivers license, and those who have
    > allowed her to do it, are missing the point of the drivers license photo. It's not
    > a vanity photo -- it's a photo for identification purposes.

More importantly, it is NOT against the teachings of Islam to get a photo for
such purposes.

Old Jul 29th 2002, 2:20 am
Dj

Here is another link that I found on a simple search of google.

http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedomli.../veiled_threat. htm

"Matta Harri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
    > (Samantha) wrote:
    > > >
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...=461&dept_id=1
7782&rfi=6
    > >
    > > The link above points to a story where a woman was REFUSED her driver's license
    > > picture because of the burka. Furthermore, West Chester and Frazer (the places
    > > mentioned in the story) is in Pennsylvania, NOT Florida.
    > >
    > Try reading the BOTTOM half of that URL and you will find the Florida story
    > referenced!! Duh!!
    >
    > matta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.