Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It's as if the OP thinks that there isn't a class structure here in the US. Whilst it's not as defined - or as discussed - as it is in England, there is a definite class
Seems pretty defined to me. It's about money, and, secondarily, race. They often go together of course but money trumps race.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jul 18th 2014 at 1:46 am.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's as if the OP thinks that there isn't a class structure here in the US. Whilst it's not as defined - or as discussed - as it is in England, there is a definite class /QUOTE]

Seems pretty defined to me. It's about money, and, secondarily, race. They often go together of course but money trumps race.
Bingo.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lion in Winter;11339787]
It's as if the OP thinks that there isn't a class structure here in the US. Whilst it's not as defined - or as discussed - as it is in England, there is a definite class /QUOTE]

You like to paint the picture that way, You always have in this Forum along with a few other select Brits. I am a product of the American Dream, My family came here with NADA in the early 70's I was 9 years old, I am the product of a South African/ British/ Chilean household.
My family emigrated to the USA in 1972/73 without a sous to their name, we had food stamps and lived off of welfare the first 3 years, my Father got a job at the studios and trained to be a Journeyman Cameraman , my Mother volunteered at the Red Cross for 6 years as well as sponsoring 2 Cuban families in an exchange program that brought those Families to the USA to live with us until they had proper accommodation and jobs. They managed to produce 2 Drs and 1 Lawyer as well as 1 adventurer on this lower middle class income. We thought ourselves poor yet lucky enough to help those who wanted to move up.. I have always moved in mixed circles and have NEVER yet ONE TIME met a so called snob who would look down on me due to my Background, I have never been excluded from anything due to my background, hell, if anything I was considered exotic because of my background and people looked up to me for my success despite my so called background . Personally I feel that it is a European mentality, better left in Europe... The USA is still the Land of Opportunity in my humble opinion, I am grateful to be here and live the life that I do xoxoxo
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:55 am
Banned

Golden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Oregon4now;11339829]

You like to paint the picture that way, You always have in this Forum along with a few other select Brits. I am a product of the American Dream, My family came here with NADA in the early 70's I was 9 years old, I am the product of a South African/ British/ Chilean household.
My family emigrated to the USA in 1972/73 without a sous to their name, we had food stamps and lived off of welfare the first 3 years, my Father got a job at the studios and trained to be a Journeyman Cameraman , my Mother volunteered at the Red Cross for 6 years as well as sponsoring 2 Cuban families in an exchange program that brought those Families to the USA to live with us until they had proper accommodation and jobs. They managed to produce 2 Drs and 1 Lawyer as well as 1 adventurer on this lower middle class income. We thought ourselves poor yet lucky enough to help those who wanted to move up.. I have always moved in mixed circles and have NEVER yet ONE TIME met a so called snob who would look down on me due to my Background, I have never been excluded from anything due to my background, hell, if anything I was considered exotic because of my background and people looked up to me for my success despite my so called background . Personally I feel that it is a European mentality, better left in Europe... The USA is still the Land of Opportunity in my humble opinion, I am grateful to be here and live the life that I do xoxoxo
I have to agree...The janitor at my former company would play golf with the CEO on weekends. Now, I don't know if he ever had him in his home or introduced him to his beautiful wife, probably not, but they always played golf and had drinks afterwards at the 19 Hole on Sundays. That doesn't happen in the U.K..

Unless you're talking about the Bill Gates crowd, the 1%rs, there is no class in America. Everyone accept Black people are treated as equals.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 1:04 am
Banned

Golden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
after they've got the tip you mean.
Ha.....Extreme negativity might be in your blood, but it is something you can change, Sally. You can control it with psychotherapy.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 1:42 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

You've become brainwashed. How you can call a land that doesn't provide basic healthcare for its citizens, and prices all bar the richest out of university, one of 'opportunity' is beyond me.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 1:45 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Golden Boy;11339844]
Originally Posted by Oregon4now

I have to agree...The janitor at my former company would play golf with the CEO on weekends. Now, I don't know if he ever had him in his home or introduced him to his beautiful wife, probably not, but they always played golf and had drinks afterwards at the 19 Hole on Sundays. That doesn't happen in the U.K..

Unless you're talking about the Bill Gates crowd, the 1%rs, there is no class in America. Everyone accept Black people are treated as equals.
'Everyome except black people are treated as equals' - that's possibly the most ignorantly ironic statement I've read this week. We'll just overlook the fact that the black population aren't treated as equals, shall we, because it's ok - all the whites are. That's FREEDOM AND OPPORTUNITY right there.

I really think some of these comments I'm reading are deliberate wind ups.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:10 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nobhillgazette.com/wp/pho...=2014&month=07

This gets delivered to my place in SF - choc full of "upper class" types doing something for "chaarridy" between coffee mornings.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:14 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Indian immigrants to the UK whose kids are now doctors, dentists, accountants - it's part of the immigration cycle.

The reality is that the US does not have a particularly high socio-economic mobility (and neither does the UK).
Socio-economic mobility in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Several large studies of mobility in developed countries in recent years have found the US among the lowest in mobility
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Which is great.

But what HH mentioned, well it does also happen in this country.

It is a big country after all.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I really think some of these comments I'm reading are deliberate wind ups.
The quote munting, that certainly is....
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

This gets delivered to my place in SF - choc full of "upper class" types doing something for "chaarridy" between coffee mornings.

Also those Greek things at university - people go apopleptic about their kid getting into the right one.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jul 18th 2014 at 2:35 am.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The quote munting, that certainly is....
I have no idea who is replying to what any more.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

And the PTAs. Don't even get me started on the PTAs.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:05 am

(from Golden Boy - total quote mess)

So aside the bizarre "some people are more equal than others" thing, all you are saying is that class is executed differently in the US than the UK. Which is true. That does not mean that it doesn't exist or is better - just different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.