Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Little things that surprised you about America

Little things that surprised you about America

Old Aug 4th 2003, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

Actually, maybe I'm not finished...

Why does Iced Tea in the UK taste so bad when in Georgia it's so dayum good?

Free refills on soft drinks - *blink*

Right turn on red. *aargh!! (white knuckles) as I think we are running a red light*

No kebab!! I could massacre a decent chicken kebab. Am missing Manchester kebab's terribly, that and the Rusholme curry mile. Still, as when I'm in the UK I'm now based in Devon I can't get it there either. Bah humbug. *craves kebab*
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default no sidewalks

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I agree for the most part. Much of the US isn't pedestrian friendly. Though the distance may be short from one shopping center to another (even across the street from each other), it can be very unsafe to attempt to walk across the road (even if it's two lanes altogether).

Bigger and more established cities have sidewalks in the downtown area and beyond (the suburbs) e.g. NYC as Frank R mentioned.

However, such places are the exception and not the norm as in the UK and much of Europe (if I'm not mistaken).

Can you imagine if Americans walked as much as other nations how the health of the US would improve?
NC Penguin
The point of that is to keep a neighborhood on one side of the tracks separated from the other. There is a fear in the good neighborhoods that bad people from surrounding bad neighborhoods can just waltz in and get tempted to commit crimes.

Sure enough, the good neighborhoods sometimes suffer a string of burglaries. The last thing they want is to build a sidewalk connecting neighborhoods. Also remember that many of the good communities have their own private security police. Even in the South, new gated neighborhoods are springing up complete with high walls that are well-lit at night.

Last edited by jaytee; Aug 5th 2003 at 12:30 am.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:43 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no sidewalks

Originally posted by jaytee
The point of that is to keep a neighborhood on one side of the tracks separated from the other. There is a fear in the good neighborhoods that bad people from surrounding bad neighborhoods can just waltz in and get tempted to commit crimes.

<<snip>>
I have to disagree with you to a certain extent. Strangely enough, from what I've seen in my city/area and from anecdotal accounts from friends and family of other US cities, it is the older (and sometimes more run down) neighborhoods that in fact have sidewalks.

I live in what is probably considered a better neighborhood and within that neighorhood (as with many newly created neighborhoods), sidewalks have been forgotten at the planning stage.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree with you to a certain extent. Strangely enough, from what I've seen in my city/area and from anecdotal accounts from friends and family of other US cities, it is the older (and sometimes more run down) neighborhoods that in fact have sidewalks.

I live in what is probably considered a better neighborhood and within that neighorhood (as with many newly created neighborhoods), sidewalks have been forgotten at the planning stage.

NC Penguin
Its much the same here- the older/(sometimes) cheaper neighbourhoods have sidewalks, but the newer ones to a large extent seem to be built without them. In our area they are now going round 'retrofitting' the new neighbourhoods with pavements, though you rarely see anybody walking - there's the early morning jogging/blading/cycling fraternity, but apart from that, if I go out for a walk during the day I can pretty much guarantee seeing nobody in 1.5-2 hours. Mind you, it is kinda warm....mad dogs and englishmen and all that!!

I was interested in the lack of pavements = lack of mobility between good/bad neighbourhoods = reduction in crime. Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the bad guys normally drive anyway to get a quicker getaway...? Thats how it always happens in the movies at least
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
..... though you rarely see anybody walking - there's the early morning jogging/blading/cycling fraternity, but apart from that, if I go out for a walk during the day I can pretty much guarantee seeing nobody in 1.5-2 hours. Mind you, it is kinda warm....mad dogs and englishmen and all that!! ....
I lived in suburban SW London for fifteen years and it was almost as rare to see a pedestrian there as here in the US. The situation might be more extreme in the US, but even in suburban London pedestrians are a relative rarity, except to the extent that people might walk to the railway station or bus stop.

I was surprised at how often I was stopped and asked directions, by motorists when I lived in London. I reckon that that it was an almost weekly occurance while I was a student, and at least monthly thereafter. Then I realised that I was one of very few pedestrians and therefore one of the few people that a motorist could stop and ask for directions.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:23 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
I lived in suburban SW London for fifteen years and it was almost as rare to see a pedestrian there as here in the US. The situation might be more extreme in the US, but even in suburban London pedestrians are a relative rarity, except to the extent that people might walk to the railway station or bus stop.

I was surprised at how often I was stopped and asked directions, by motorists when I lived in London. I reckon that that it was an almost weekly occurance while I was a student, and at least monthly thereafter. Then I realised that I was one of very few pedestrians and therefore one of the few people that a motorist could stop and ask for directions.
I'm most surprised about the above poster's comments. I'm a born and bred Londoner and have lived in N, S, E and W London though I spent most of my life in SW London (not far from where Pulaski himself lived at one time). Pedestrians abound in all parts of London (suburban and otherwise) I have ever lived in/visited.

It's not just walking from home to the station or bus stop either. If you're talking about walking to work then few people do that anywhere (in the world, except the developing world perhaps).

The penny dropped for me when I read a messageboard on a particular US travel writer's website that was devoted to "what footwear to wear when travelling". I thought it very strange at first then realised that on the whole, Americans don't walk that much, even in cities. So, they need to prepare their feet in more than just trainers/sneakers to comfortably cover distances that are no trouble to Brits/Ozzies/Japanese/Europeans, etc.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm most surprised about the above poster's comments. I'm a born and bred Londoner and have lived in N, S, E and W London though I spent most of my life in SW London (not far from where Pulaski himself lived at one time). Pedestrians abound in all parts of London (suburban and otherwise) I have ever lived in/visited......
Walking from house to car, car to shop/office, house to bus stop/ station, bus stop/ station to shop/office, shop to shop, yes there are many pedestrians, but get away from the immediate area of shops and offices then I maintain there are few pedestrians.

I used to walk from my house to Wimbledon regularly, it was about two miles and took about 22 minutes, and about all I ever recall seeing, apart from streams of cars skipping from one traffic jam to another, was people walking as far as where their car was parked or the nearest bus stop.

Sure people milled around Wimbledon and Kingston town centers, but did they ever walk further than to and from whatever motorized transport had brought them there? I seriously doubt it.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:02 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I used to walk from my house to Wimbledon regularly, it was about two miles and took about 22 minutes,
Thats not walking, thats jogging
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:04 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pinKaboo
Actually, maybe I'm not finished...

Why does Iced Tea in the UK taste so bad when in Georgia it's so dayum good?

Free refills on soft drinks - *blink*

Right turn on red. *aargh!! (white knuckles) as I think we are running a red light*

No kebab!! I could massacre a decent chicken kebab. Am missing Manchester kebab's terribly, that and the Rusholme curry mile. Still, as when I'm in the UK I'm now based in Devon I can't get it there either. Bah humbug. *craves kebab*
Wow, you actually tried iced tea? I refuse to drink it out of principle (it's cold tea for ****'s sake!) even though it seems to be de rigeur in the south.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by beyness
One thing Greg is really apalled with is the attitude to alcohol here... he can't believe how people don't drink veyr often and that he gets carded every single time he goes to buy a beer. He didn't belive me once when we went into a shop to buy alcohol that if I was with him, they would card both of us (I didn't have my ID on me) and when they did, he stormed out of the store screaming about how backward America was! It makes me laugh... I have to interpret things he says to our friends sometimes and when he's on the phone and says "who's that?" instead "may I ask who's calling?", he ALWAYS has to repeat himself... There's so much more, but I don't have the time
LOL! It *had* to be a plaid pantry store! Pete was gobssmacked that they would not sell to him w/out ID...like the grey hair and wrinkly face weren't enough to establish him as over 26, let alone 21. He could not believe that the beer cabinet was *locked* (actually, that surprised even me).
I too found this year that I spent a lot of time translating for him in stores & restaurants, but his American is getting *much* better. <g>
Your interview is getting so close! Best of luck
Old Aug 5th 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

I used to walk from my house to Wimbledon regularly, it was about two miles and took about 22 minutes, and about all I ever recall seeing, apart from streams of cars skipping from one traffic jam to another, was people walking as far as where their car was parked or the nearest bus stop.

I must be one of the few people in the US who walk to work. It takes me about half an hour and it's a nice stroll. I buy my cawwfee and bagel from my mate Rajiv each morning, there are a few regulars out and about - it really is a very pleasant way to start the day!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

<<snip>>

Sure people milled around Wimbledon and Kingston town centers, but did they ever walk further than to and from whatever motorized transport had brought them there? I seriously doubt it.
My point is that many people living in countries other than the US do not consider the automobile as the only way of getting from one place to another. Most, if not have cars, but walk or use public transport as they see appropriate (e.g. the distance is safe and close enough for walking, faster or more convenient to use public transport).

Americans tend not to have that kind of mentality in my opinion.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:28 pm

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Thats not walking, thats jogging
Not if you're 6'5".
Old Aug 5th 2003, 6:32 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by pinKaboo
Damn you
You've just got me thinking of the halal meat stall I walked past the other day downtown. The *instant* the aroma hit my nose, my mouth literally started drooling. I was almost an incontrolable wreck once I saw the delicious, juicy lamb & chicken kebabs on spicy rice being served.

NYC food stalls are the :PARTY:
Old Aug 5th 2003, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Originally posted by nathan barley
Damn you
You've just got me thinking of the halal meat stall I walked past the other day downtown. The *instant* the aroma hit my nose, my mouth literally started drooling. I was almost an incontrolable wreck once I saw the delicious, juicy lamb & chicken kebabs on spicy rice being served.

NYC food stalls are the :PARTY:
Wouldn't be allowed in the Uk now....the Health and Safety Police would come down like a ton of bricks on them!

And are they selling food by the pound?? Disgusting habit, should be in grammes and kilos !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.