Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Little things that surprised you about America

Little things that surprised you about America

Old Aug 1st 2003, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Finding out that my daughter was being taught in school that evolution was a "sin," in fact there was a whole chapter devoted to decrying the evils of the evolution theory in her science book- that wasn't a surprise it was a shock. That was another run in I had with the school- ho hum- I ended up home schooling her.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Ajrowe4 is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting discussion,
PLEASE would anybody share their experience in trying to explain the british phrase 'not half' or 'don't half' or 'ain't half' to american's and canadians?!!!

I've used it in speech such as 'it ain't half hot' (name of a tv series!) and 'I don't half love the things you say sometimes', once my canadian friend asked how I was, I replied 'I'm not half knackered!' which threw him completely!!
They think I am doing it on purpose to confuse them hahahaha

The same friend spells 'guys' as 'gies' and insists this to be the proper way, definately I knew one for me. This is coming from someone who owns a American/English translation book. (Best £2.99 I ever spent).

However I'm desperate to get out to america and am looking to be an au pair. Anybody know of any kind families in San Francisco bay area???

Ali
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 3:04 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tbiller
My understanding was that in the case of Master Potter the American market would more easily understand/identify the use of the word "Sorcerer" over "Philosopher". What that says about the US publishers opinion of the intellect of the target buyer escapes me. Pretty damn insulting IMHO.

Stuff is renamed all the time - especially in the movies.
My understanding is that it was a poll, apparently the people who took the poll understood scorcerer but didn't know what a philosopher was?

The same thing happened to the title of the James Bond film Licence to Kill, it was originally titled Licence Revoked but the majority of americans polled didn't know what the word revoked meant.

You can't be too upset if you consider that these people are too ****ing dumb to avoid someone heading towards them in the mall with clipboard in their hands! Or if it was a phone poll, too stupid to put the phone down on them!

Strangley they have no idea what shagged or full monty meant but they where kept in titles - the film 51st state is called formula 51 over here, Leon is called the proffesional, a night on the town is called adventures in babysitting......

Patrick
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 3:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by frrussre
Come visit NYC, a lot of walking going on. Especially in Manhattan. Checked out Brooklyn Bridge, thousands of people walking, bike riding, roller blades from Brooklyn to Manhattan & back. Daily exercise to & from work for a lot of people.

I agree most Yanks, take the car to get a newspaper, 100yds away.

Reg. Frank R.
I have difficulty getting my wife to park just once when we go shopping and then walk to each store. We usually seem to drive around the parking lot parking near each store in turn.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cool, cool air

What amuses me are the limousine drivers who wait in their vehicles outside restaurants for hours on end with the engine running and the a/c on. This certainly is the land of plenty when it comes to gas.

Talking of gas I have never seen so many different heartburn and indigestion remedies on the pharmacy shelves - must be all that rich food!

And I'm sorry but the beer is sh1t. I brew my own.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

alabama_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicines

Does anyone else think it laughable that when you buy a remedy for heartburn (basically some calcium) that you get the following warning on the advert.

" May cause you to get really bad stain in your pants due to loose bowels, may cause severe heart conditions that could kill you, may cause you to come out in a horrible rash and look like you have leprosy, may cause you to start smelling like a frenchman, may also not do what it is sold to do and may cause you to go blind and all you limbs to fall off "

I understand that some people are Sue (sp?) happy but why are they putting ingredients in the remedy that causes these problems?

All I want is some Rennies
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 2:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicines

Originally posted by alabama_bound ..... but why are they putting ingredients in the remedy that causes these problems?
They are called side effects. The same chemical/ drug that cures heartburn may also cause loose bowels in some people; remove the problem drug and you remove the cure that you are seeking too.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicines

" May cause you to get really bad stain in your pants due to loose bowels, may cause severe heart conditions that could kill you, may cause you to come out in a horrible rash and look like you have leprosy, may cause you to start smelling like a frenchman, may also not do what it is sold to do and may cause you to go blind and all you limbs to fall off "
And when you see adverts for remedies and the small print says "These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to treat or cure any disease"!
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 6:23 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cool, cool air

Originally posted by Peter Newton And I'm sorry but the beer is sh1t. I brew my own.
Candian brews, microbrews, or European imports are the answer I found
Mainstream labels like Coors and Bud are basically piss water though, you're right.

Yueng Ling is a beautiful ale made by a small brewery in PA, and available in NYC. Least, I saw it in the Stop & Shop here.
http://www.yuengling.com/beers.htm
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody had the fat free pringles? the one's that have on the label "May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools". Love that Olestra! I'm not gaining weight, and I'm real regular, if ya know what I mean.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nathan barley
Mainstream labels like Coors and Bud are basically piss water though, you're right.

Yueng Ling is a beautiful ale made by a small brewery in PA, and available in NYC. Least, I saw it in the Stop & Shop here.
I was a little unfair - you're right there are a few gems out there and I am particularly fond of Yueng Ling (it's very keenly priced too!)

The Brooklyn brewery has some good ones too (try their Lager), and I am a fan of the Heartland Brewery here in NYC - their Union Square location has some excellent (and potent) microbrews.

I have a Mr Beer system in my house but the weather is too hot to brew right now. In the spring I made a stout and something close to an English bitter. Of course it's all gone now.....!!
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nathan barley

If you can still get any of the "Big Rock" brands in the States give 'em a try. It's a small brewery from right here in Calgary and my favourite domestic brand. Agree that the main stream US brands are 'orrible and I never did care much for the main Canadian breweries either (Molson, et al)
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

It's astonishing how little about the world outside the USA is taught in American high school.....
Where is Kuwait?....oh it's the capital of Arabia??
So little knowledge of the basic geography that us older Brits learnt as a matter of course....country capitals, the shapes of different countries, and any conception of how other peoples live is completely unknown!
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 9:29 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

In last weeks Sunday Paper, the extra magazine had a National Geographical Geography Quiz. They are trying to promote a greater knowledge of the rest of the world.
With questions like.....
Which country is the Taj Mahal in? it's hardly surprising that I came out as a Geographical Genius!! I'm curious as to how the rest of the country did.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 9:42 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Peter Newton
The Brooklyn brewery has some good ones too (try their Lager), and I am a fan of the Heartland Brewery here in NYC - their Union Square location has some excellent (and potent) microbrews.
ooo, thanks, I'm gonna have to check those out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.