Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Little things that surprised you about America

Little things that surprised you about America

Old Aug 7th 2003, 3:43 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pulaski
No, I'm an iced tea drinker now!
Nothing like a quart of iced tea and a plate of deep fried cheese after a long day of yard work!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
.... and a plate of deep fried cheese ....
That must be a Pacific-Northwest thing? ..... round here the "big thing" is barbeque.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

How about up in Wisconsin, where they deep fry Snickers bars at the state fair mmm Yum! One bite and your heart is guaranteed to stop beating, or your money back.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:33 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

That must be a Pacific-Northwest thing? ..... round here the "big thing" is barbeque.
And not any old barbecue, either. It's Carolina barbecue, made of pork and definitely not beef (suits me fine).

NC Penguin
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
And not any old barbecue, either. It's Carolina barbecue, made of pork and definitely not beef (suits me fine).
I think that all "barbeque" is generally pork, in The South at least, but it varies from state to state as to how it is cooked and seasoned. Carolina barbeque also seems to vary between the East and the West of the state, with the East favoring a more peppery flavor.

Having said that, in Virginia it was possible to get buffalo barbeque - but the fact that it had to be labelled as buffalo barbeque still makes me think that barbeque is pork if not labelled otherwise.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever go to a Claim Jumper restuarant, they do a fantastic Carolina BBQ pulled pork sandwich.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 9:58 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Lets face it, Yanks will eat anything if it is dipped in batter and deep fried! Carolina BBQ is very good indeed, esp with that vinegar based sauce...

Big PNW things are planked salmon, elk, and the finest coffee known to humanity.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stumpyguy
Lets face it, Yanks will eat anything if it is dipped in batter and deep fried

So why no Fish n Chips??? And I don't mean of the Long John Silvers variety
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:56 pm
Oxymath and eremite

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Lets face it, Yanks will eat anything if it is dipped in batter and deep fried

So why no Fish n Chips??? And I don't mean of the Long John Silvers variety
Good question, probably for the same reason it is so difficult to get a decent ruby murray up here.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 1:18 am

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
..... So why no Fish n Chips??? And I don't mean of the Long John Silvers variety
Good question, probably for the same reason it is so difficult to get a decent ruby murray up here.
What??? ..... If it's "the same reason" could it be the wrong type of batter?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 8th 2003 at 1:21 am.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:03 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Better head south....took a bit of digging around, but actually managed to find a few decent Indians round here. Bit sweeter than at home, but pretty good nonetheless...

Found a bit of Alaskan cod in the supermarket the other day, so gave the "home chippy" a whirl - even used up my last can of batchelors mushy peas for teh occasion. But it just wasn't the same....how do the chippy's get the batter like that - anyone out there ever worked in one and want to divulge the secrets of the trade....?
Old Aug 8th 2003, 6:28 am
Just Joined

alabama_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sweet curry

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Better head south....took a bit of digging around, but actually managed to find a few decent Indians round here. Bit sweeter than at home, but pretty good nonetheless...
Had a curry a couple of years ago when visiting my now wife in Mobile AL. The curry was OK, nothing special but it wasnt too bad....but....then I had an onion Bhaji....It was soo sweet it should have been labled as confectionary.

I know a lot of Americans have a sweet tooth (probably down to having to eat all that sweet stuff from birth) but come on.....any restaurant that can add sugar to an onion bhaji (especially one run by indians) must be doing something wrong.

I would have thought there was a huge market for a proper curry especially in port towns such as Mobile where you geta lot of foreign (British) people.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 3:11 pm
Oxymath and eremite

What??? ..... If it's "the same reason" could it be the wrong type of batter?
It was more of a general statement to the effect that they don't really "get it".

The longer one stays here the cravings for things from home tend to go away, having said that I still have serious cravings for a proper Brick Lane balti. The curry places here come across as being too effete somehow.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 3:40 pm

It was more of a general statement to the effect that they don't really "get it". ....
Yes, I knew what you were getting at, but it is the same with Chinese restaurants too - they all seem to serve one-person set meals here (like "ordinary" restaurants), rather than the pot-porri mix-n-match that is Chinese food in the UK.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 5:43 pm

rather than the pot-porri mix-n-match that is Chinese food in the UK.

Err, it is in China too!!

Our area has (apparently) over 45k brits, albeit spread over a largeish area - can't help thinkng that thats not a bad market for some enterprising soul to start up an ethnic (ie British) restaurant catering to all those comfort cravings that just don't seem to disappear after however long overseas. A decent English breakfast, 'proper' curry, fish n' chips, kebAbs (whoever put the 'o' in that?), sunday roast and so on. Maybe even a proper afternoon tea with scones and cream served by waitresses in little black dresses and white pinnies... Mind you, it would take all the fun out of the "how-much - weight-will-I-put-on-on-my-trip-back-to-the-UK"sweepstakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.