Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

little britain in the US

little britain in the US

Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of
Default little britain in the US

i did post a similar thread on the moving back to UK site, but I wanted to know what fellow Brits living in the US are doing to bring a little bit of England to their neck of the woods ie baking trad. English meals, subscribe to Brit. mags. Send Brit cakes to school on Bake sale days!! watch BBC America. Important to keep our individuality alive and for our next generation to know their roots even if we can't always get back home for vacations.

Also, I live in AZ, its hot, brown, boring and you do not see people, except in malls, restuarants and in cars!! I miss just seeing people walking around on the streets. I am always researching for cities/states in the US which are somewhat similar to the UK ie green pastures, historic towns, cobbled highstreets, quaint villages and a good walkability factor plus 4 seasons. (does a place exist here!!) If we can't move back then the next best thing would be a similar state if one exists. So at least that would help with the nostalgia part. Would you know of any places, does Colorado fit the bill? Thanks

Last edited by usoruk; Mar 26th 2010 at 4:46 am.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: little britain in the US

I have now seen every episode of As Time Goes By at least twice, a programme I would never have stooped to watch in the UK

There is a tiny 'Old Town' where I live which has a little bit of character and a nice Famers' Market. I also like going to a little antiques area I found as that feels more like 'home'.

I have given up on trying to get a decent cup of tea when out, too frustrating.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:26 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of places in New England would fit the bill.

To keep myself feeling English I like to walk around in a uniform as worn by the 62nd (Wiltshire) Regiment of Foot.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

Is'nt it colder up there, compared to UK, more snow to deal with, not that I mind, especially since I have'nt seen snow in ages, and my little ones don't even know what snow is!

Alot of people say, Boston has that European feel, good schooling, quaint streets with great walkability factor. I don't think that would be the same for the suburbs. All the suburbs seem the same in the US. don't know the price of anything there but it is the North East and sounds tempting, if I can only get my NY Yankees loving hubby to agree!!

Next time I go back home for vacation, I'm definately going to pick up some of the Brit T-shirt souveners (spelling!) So i can wear them and feel patriotic.

Last edited by usoruk; Mar 26th 2010 at 4:54 am.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:03 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usoruk
I wanted to know what fellow Brits living in the US are doing to bring a little bit of England to their neck of the woods ie baking trad. English meals, subscribe to Brit. mags. Send Brit cakes to school on Bake sale days!! watch BBC America.
Me? For the sake of keeping England alive here, nothing specifically.
Important to keep our individuality alive and for our next generation to know their roots even if we can't always get back home for vacations.
Why? That's what Britain is for, no?

Little Englanders? FLICK 'em...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:09 am

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Colorado gets a hell of a lot of snow too.

There are some people that live in and around Boston on the forum that would be able to answer much better than I could.

I know a kid that comes from Southie (South Boston) that is a die hard Yankees fan.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
A lot of places in New England would fit the bill.

To keep myself feeling English I like to walk around in a uniform as worn by the 62nd (Wiltshire) Regiment of Foot.
or Benny's oufit
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
or Benny's oufit
Trouble is around here I would just blend in.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:16 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

... 4 seasons...
That pretty much restricts you to the PNW.

It's geographical: you need to be at around 45-55 latitude, and on the western coast of a major landmass.

Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC is your only choice in NA.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trouble is around here I would just blend in.

Did I tell you I used to work with Benny's sister?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed
That pretty much restricts you to the PNW.

It's geographical: you need to be at around 45-55 latitude, and on the western coast of a major landmass.

Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC is your only choice in NA.
We have all 4 seasons in New England.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Did I tell you I used to work with Benny's sister?
You were a handyman too?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You were a handyman too?

Looked great in my woolly hat.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:25 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

We have all 4 seasons in New England.
I was going to say that - and moreso than in the UK where many years it felt like 4 small variations of one season (i.e. grey and rainy and cold-ish, grey and rainy and a bit warmer etc.)

There are places all over New England that fit the bill from the OP's perspective (proper winters aside), although many have architecture that is obviously New England (not British) but fit the bill in most other ways.

Northampton MA
West Hartford CT
Stonington CT
Rockport MA
Newfane VT
Grafton VT
Burlington VT
Hannover NH
Salem MA
Portland ME
Portsmouth NH
Litchfield CT

I could go on and on - probably just scratching the surface here with a few better-known examples.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I live in AZ, its hot, brown, boring and you do not see people, except in malls, restuarants and in cars!! I miss just seeing people walking around on the streets. I am always researching for cities/states in the US which are somewhat similar to the UK ie green pastures, historic towns, cobbled highstreets, quaint villages and a good walkability factor plus 4 seasons. (does a place exist here!!)
I'd say that a lot of places in the North East (New England/Mid Atlantic States) fit that bill pretty well e.g (sticking to places I have been) Marblehead MA, Portsmouth NH, Newburyport MA, Northampton MA, Gloucester MA, Beverley MA, Portland ME, Falmouth MA, Newport RI, Bennington VT, Keene NH, Peterborough NH, Salem MA, Rockport MA, Bennington VT and the people's republic of Brattleboro VT. Of course Americans prefer to drive than walk and shop in malls and with any of these towns there's the obligatory sprawl but in a lot of them the 'downtown' has reinvented itself to degree with different types of businesses to the big box stores.

Best way to do research is to start a thread on the forum at city data - http://www.city-data.com/ and tell them what you are looking for ; I.E classic small town America feel, quaint main street and walkable. Then check out the recommended places on google street view.

By the sounds of it however moving to the east coast might not be an option, in which case PNW or Colorado might be what you require. I'm afraid I haven't been anywhere west of Pittsburgh. Have always heard good things about Portland OR though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.