Reload this Page >

A LITTLE BIT RANDOM- CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM

A LITTLE BIT RANDOM- CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM

Old May 2nd 2011, 2:36 am
Account Closed

caliqueen17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A LITTLE BIT RANDOM- CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure I have posted under the correct heading.
I am awaiting my Interview for a CR-1 Visa.

I am a Solicitor in England and wish to qualify as a Lawyer in CA, USA once I get there.

I have been trying to search online and haven't found anything THAT helpful other than the bar exam fee & closing dates for applications [for sitting the Exam only]. As I am British, I suppose I am expected to study American Law before sitting the actual exam, but what are the fees and how long is the course?

Any insights, and or relevant websites would be useful.

About to pull my hair out.

Thanks everyone
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A LITTLE BIT RANDOM- CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM

I Google'd California Bar Exam review and came up with a number of hits. While I can't recommend any, I can tell you that the California Bar Exam is probably one of the most, if not the most, difficult Bar to sit in the United States. All of my attorney friends have taken review courses, many taking a 6 week course in preparation for the Bar, this is after completing law school, and taking several weeks leave from work to devote entirely to study.

Good luck!
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably have to start from scratch.

There's only a couple of states that'll let you take the bar exam straight off, NY is one of them I think.
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliqueen17
I have been trying to search online and haven't found anything THAT helpful other than the bar exam fee & closing dates for applications [for sitting the Exam only]. As I am British, I suppose I am expected to study American Law before sitting the actual exam, but what are the fees and how long is the course?
Did you find this or this?
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Thanks guys......very informative.

Will explore my options, which seem somewhat limited.

I am 32 so I guess I could go back to school if I really wanted

Old May 2nd 2011, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like an LL.M would cost about $50,000 in fees ...

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/5657.htm
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Or McGeorge
http://www.mcgeorge.edu/ My BIL and good friends Dh both went there and passed the bar quickly
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am 32 so I guess I could go back to school if I really wanted
I was 44 when I started a Master's degree; I was 56 when I started a PhD.

It'll take you 3 years to get a JD... how old will you be in 3 years if you don't do a JD?

Ian
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Thanks everyone.

Once again this forum has proved to be invaluable!

I look forward to new beginnings in the US
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

If you qualified as a solicitor in the UK then you are able to take the California Bar Exam without going to law school in the US. You need a Certificate of Good Standing from the Law Society, which you submit with your application for membership to the State Bar as a foreign licensed attorney. Once you are registered, you can then apply to sit the bar exam. Then, the difficult part starts.....

Having gone through the process, I would recommend taking a bar preparation course (about 6 weeks and $4,000). The course is in May/June for the July bar exam, and then in January for the February exam. Alternatively, you can self study at home after buying the books online.

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me.
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Mike, that actually doesn't sound bad at all.

Old May 2nd 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mike, that actually doesn't sound bad at all.

There is an additional 1/2 day Professional Responsibility Exam. BTW the fee charged by the review courses for the MPRE is quite reasonable: free. I guess it is a loss leader to get people to sign up for the full review course.

You might be surprised on the need for "American" law -- as a general rule, Common Law is Common Law. It is easier to remember the exceptions applicable to California.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what things are like in California - but there's a heck of a lot of unemployed lawyers in other states (my daughter is one of them). Don't mean to be a downer - just telling it like it is.