Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A little bit of England

A little bit of England

Old May 30th 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of
Default A little bit of England

I think I may have posted something like this ages ago, here or somewhere! can't remember, but would love to get some insight into how others "bring a little bit of England" into their day to day lives here in the US.

I know some of you really don't want to bring any aspect of the UK into your present life over here-and that is ok. This is for those of us who still miss and love things about "home" and want to intergrate both cultures as best we can with the little English things that keep us going over here.

For me, I like baking so I tend to bake English cakes mostly such as victorian sandwich cakes (which for some reason, hubby compares to cornbread!!) scones with jam and cream, sausage rolls, kids love proper beans on toast. If an American friend is visiting I like to make some Brit food for them like little cucumber sarnies. I don't do sunday roasts (although did try once -not exactly how I wanted it to turn out!) as I'm not good at it, but would love to treat the family to a proper English roast (on a Sunday!). I have also done the Christmas cracker thing-which the kids find quite funny and they love English chocolate from World Market. I like the idea of tea time at 4, but it just does'nt seem right drinking tea by myself!! although my youngest is getting the taste for tea!

Barnes and Noble sells some Brit mags ie She, Red, The English home, various baby/parenting mags etc, which I'll buy or just read in there once in a while. Sister in the UK, will often send me free Tesco, Sainsbury, Marks and Sparks, etc mags which I really enjoy reading especially for the recipes and latest fashion trends. Love to know how you guys like keeping intouch with your roots. Thanx

Last edited by usoruk; May 30th 2010 at 9:31 am.
Old May 30th 2010, 12:07 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little bit of England

Originally Posted by usoruk
I think I may have posted something like this ages ago, here or somewhere! can't remember, but would love to get some insight into how others "bring a little bit of England" into their day to day lives here in the US.
You did. It's all here.

Happy reading.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

thebox.bz and a VPN sub.
Grauniad Weekly sub.
PG Tips, Heinz Beanz and pickle -- available for Fresh & Easy.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of English tea and listening to 102.2 JazzFM over the internet at home and at work.

I know some of you really don't want to bring any aspect of the UK into your present life over here-and that is ok. This is for those of us who still miss and love things about "home" and want to intergrate both cultures as best we can with the little English things that keep us going over here.

For me, I like baking so I tend to bake English cakes mostly such as victorian sandwich cakes (which for some reason, hubby compares to cornbread!!) scones with jam and cream, sausage rolls, kids love proper beans on toast. If an American friend is visiting I like to make some Brit food for them like little cucumber sarnies. I don't do sunday roasts (although did try once -not exactly how I wanted it to turn out!) as I'm not good at it, but would love to treat the family to a proper English roast (on a Sunday!). I have also done the Christmas cracker thing-which the kids find quite funny and they love English chocolate from World Market. I like the idea of tea time at 4, but it just does'nt seem right drinking tea by myself!! although my youngest is getting the taste for tea!

Barnes and Noble sells some Brit mags ie She, Red, The English home, various baby/parenting mags etc, which I'll buy or just read in there once in a while. Sister in the UK, will often send me free Tesco, Sainsbury, Marks and Sparks, etc mags which I really enjoy reading especially for the recipes and latest fashion trends. Love to know how you guys like keeping intouch with your roots. Thanx
Old May 31st 2010, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Drink English tea, and use English phrases constantly at work (which entertains Mainers). Cook curries, and eat Marmite.

Raise my children to not be self-centred brats
Old May 31st 2010, 11:47 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

one thing i noticed is that you cant get easter eggs in Cali
So it looks as though, these things will need to be addressed when we live there
Old May 31st 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Yes you can World Market sell them.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by traceym
Old May 31st 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

PG Tips
Daddies Brown Sauce
Calling people w**kers

..and of course...

...driving on the left (JOKE)
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

thanx for all the replies and thanx tonrob.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:41 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
you stole my line!!! I'm a bit slow lately
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:45 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I like streaming the Beeb radio, having my english cookbooks, watchin some good british movies and just staying generally well rounded..

It's good to find at least one other brit nearby where you live (we are all over the place)...

Don't forget your roots but embrace you adopted country...works for me..
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:39 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Raise my children to not be self-centred brats

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
They melt - that's why.
how others "bring a little bit of England" into their day to day lives here in the US..........still miss and love things about "home" and want to intergrate both cultures as best we can with the little English things that keep us going over here.
1. Bacon butties
2. World Market chocky Saturday evenings, watching Dr Who with the kids.
3. Supply of tea, bickies and branston in my kitchen cupboard
4. Make a "great British heart-attack breakfast" once a month at least
5. Put a hedge around my front garden - the neighbours think me anti-social now. Sod 'em
6. Plant an actual garden with flowers, gnomes, ivy and things
7. Teach my kids to be ambi-culturous and not go insane from the mix
8. Stay in the house and grit it out when the Mrs makes popcorn
9. Pot Noodles and sarcasm
10. More Bacon Butties and Tea
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Tea has been mentioned. My favorite it Taylors Yorkshire Gold.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

but would love to get some insight into how others "bring a little bit of England" into their day to day lives here in the US.
I let my dog shit on the pavement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.