Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

life in the US of A

life in the US of A

Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default life in the US of A

would love to hear how other Brits are enjoying or not enjoying there life in the USA.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry i gotta learn how to spell "their"
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: life in the US of A

Originally posted by dylan&helen
would love to hear how other Brits are enjoying or not enjoying there life in the USA.
It's ****in' great!!!!!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
It's ****in' great!!!!!
Have you spent a winter in OH yet? That'll give you a taste of winter, American style...

NC Penguin
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dylan&helen
Its as good as I thought it would be! Apart from just starting to look for work, everything has been smooth and every day is different.

People in the UK thought we were mad to just sell everything, leave work and move to the US with no house, no jobs and no cars lined up when we got there but we're here and we're doing it!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Have you spent a winter in OH yet? That'll give you a taste of winter, American style...

NC Penguin

Yeah last winter was my first full winter, it was the worst for snow for some 20 years!!! I even got a job as a snow plougher/salter, shit I hated that I must admit, but I stick by my first answer!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

It's ****in' great!!!!!
No need to expand on that methinks!

I'm really enjoying myself. But it helps to like the area that you live in, and I personally couldnt have asked for any more from the perticular area that I have settled in. But I havent joined the workforce yet, so I am sure my opinions will change to a certain degree once I get a first hand look at the pro's and con's of working in Britain compared to here in the states. I like the City I live in and the amenities its offers/shops/sports/transport/roads etc etc and the weather sure beats freezing my butt off at 5.30am like I did when I used to live for work on my motorbike back home. I really have trouble finding one negative about my move here, but thats not to say I won't as time goes by. But right now I am just enjoying my new life as an expat.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by datcha
Its as good as I thought it would be! Apart from just starting to look for work, everything has been smooth and every day is different.

People in the UK thought we were mad to just sell everything, leave work and move to the US with no house, no jobs and no cars lined up when we got there but we're here and we're doing it!
How did you get over here then if you had no work or house or anything? Your wife from the US or something? Visa lottery?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pimpbot
No need to expand on that methinks!

I'm really enjoying myself. But it helps to like the area that you live in, and I personally couldnt have asked for any more from the perticular area that I have settled in. But I havent joined the workforce yet, so I am sure my opinions will change to a certain degree once I get a first hand look at the pro's and con's of working in Britain compared to here in the states. I like the City I live in and the amenities its offers/shops/sports/transport/roads etc etc and the weather sure beats freezing my butt off at 5.30am like I did when I used to live for work on my motorbike back home. I really have trouble finding one negative about my move here, but thats not to say I won't as time goes by. But right now I am just enjoying my new life as an expat.
Your still in the honeymoon stage...... I did'nt start to feel homesick for about 9 months but it did'nt last long!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Your still in the honeymoon stage...... I did'nt start to feel homesick for about 9 months but it did'nt last long!
That may be true? but I really dont miss anything about Britain except my family and friends, but I dont spend all day pineing(sp) for them, and believe me, in my current "houseboy" position, I have a lot of free time to think about stuff lol. I have a Brit food store down one end of the street, if I fancy a flake, and I have a curry house the other end if I fancy a korma. If I want to hit the pub, I have two British pubs within 10 minute driving distants. Just a few of the reasons I love where I have relocated to.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If I wanted British stuff I would have stayed in Britain, sure I miss certain things.
I live in a very rural area, I just bought a house on close to an acre of land (I know a lot of people who own a lot more land) and people back home look at me like I am stupid when I mention the word ACREAGE.
If you can find a decent job out in the sticks the quality of life is superb.
I sit here in Michigan miles from the hustle and bustle of the East coast and miles away from the Pacific nuthouse that is California, yet I have a beach less than 1 mile from our house.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by manc1976
If I wanted British stuff I would have stayed in Britain, sure I miss certain things.
It always makes me laugh when the old yanks enquire where the best place here in the US is to eat fish and chips. As if I go around to every resteraunt and this is all I order. Man if I wanted decent fish and chips I would have stayed home, I'll stick with the Hooters wings thanks!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you get over here then if you had no work or house or anything? Your wife from the US or something? Visa lottery?
My wife is originally from California. We met while I was travelling around the US several years back. We married and lived in the UK for the last few years but both felt a move to the US would give us a lot more opportunities in life.

My visa timeline is available in the archives for anyone thinking of starting the process to move here =)

I must say I'm only missing the familiarity of things in the UK so far. Once I get a job I expect to start to fully integrate into the culture, etc.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:41 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
That may be true? but I really dont miss anything about Britain except my family and friends, but I dont spend all day pineing(sp) for them, and believe me, in my current "houseboy" position, I have a lot of free time to think about stuff lol. I have a Brit food store down one end of the street, if I fancy a flake, and I have a curry house the other end if I fancy a korma. If I want to hit the pub, I have two British pubs within 10 minute driving distants. Just a few of the reasons I love where I have relocated to.
Where's that Brit store then? It would be great to be able to pop out in Arizona and buy myself a pack of PG Tips! I already noted down the address of that curry house! I am currently compiling a list of important places in AZ so when I get there I don't feel completely lost.

Thanks for your input guys...you're making this soon-to-be immigrant feel a lot more positive! I've sorted out an apartment and a car so it's all systems go. I'm looking forward to it but a bit scared too, so positive stories are nice to read.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

It always makes me laugh when the old yanks enquire where the best place here in the US is to eat fish and chips. As if I go around to every resteraunt and this is all I order. Man if I wanted decent fish and chips I would have stayed home, I'll stick with the Hooters wings thanks!
Speaking of Fish and Chips, did I ever mention we have this place just down the road also. They have around 5 valley locations. Cant say I have tried them out though. But I highly recommend the Fish and Chips on pier 39 at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco, and I dont mean the crappy little touristy place near the NFL shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.