Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

life on the road

life on the road

Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

liclgl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default life on the road

Recently, the thought crept into me, to give up the rented apartment and buy a house trailer instead. Not just for a trip, but in general, as a place of residence...Do you think that's possible, In the US, to live, work, have a relationships, when the house is on wheels?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life on the road

Originally Posted by liclgl
Recently, the thought crept into me, to give up the rented apartment and buy a house trailer instead. Not just for a trip, but in general, as a place of residence...Do you think that's possible, In the US, to live, work, have a relationships, when the house is on wheels?
Trailer parks are everywhere lots of people live in them full time. Depends what you want.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

These are more cheaper temporary substitute.
I mean more as a slow movement, a few months here, a few months there, Drifting Away. The question is more about things like mail, an address for a bank account, DL and such...Is it possible to live outside the box and still make a living lawful and with dignity?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I spent nearly two years living in a caravan (in Oz many moons ago).We had a newborn baby when we first moved into the van.I guess it was a fairly good experience,but got pretty tiring towards the end.Our van was quite spacious and we also had a full length annexe joined onto the side.We ended up moving out into a house when our daughter turned 2 because we did'nt have our own private space outside.Its not a lifestyle I would choose again,but I'm glad I had the experience.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to live outside the box and still make a living lawful and with dignity?
It's fairly easy to live outside the box as long as you have limited possessions. For things like a trailer... you're still going to need some sort of permanent address for mail to get to (although a P.O. box would suffice). Insurance on the trailer might get tricky if it's not permanently moored somewhere... still, it's doable.

Just so you know, there is a rather derogatory phrase used by many of my Southern neighbors to describe those such as you intend... "trailer trash". Generally meant to denote those too poor to live in something better, as long as you can live with the moniker you'll probably be fine.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You need an RV

Thisa is a nice one ... http://www.newellcoach.com/inventory...php?coach=1285
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I mean more as a slow movement, a few months here, a few months there, Drifting Away. The question is more about things like mail, an address for a bank account, DL and such...Is it possible to live outside the box and still make a living lawful and with dignity?
There are companies that will receive and scan your mail into electronic form. Just Google it.

Phone - get a VoIP solution so it's usable anywhere you can get an internet connection. Or just get a cellphone.

Internet - via the cell network if the trailer parks don't provide it.

Get electronic statements for bank accounts etc.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
For things like a trailer... you're still going to need some sort of permanent address for mail to get to (although a P.O. box would suffice).
For the OP's benefit: You usually need a permanent address to get a PO Box, so you should get that before you hit the road.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Google "full time RV".

http://fulltimerver.com/

And it's really not what I would refer to as "trailer trash". That's a whole 'nother deal, and surprisingly, doesn't even require the person so described to live in a trailer.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's super easy to rectify. There is a business in the midwest that is setup just for that purpose. It provides the permanent address for your mail delivery, etc. and you tell them where your next stop will be and they then forward everything to you.

Of course you can live outside of the box and live and work lawfully.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That's super easy to rectify. There is a business in the midwest that is setup just for that purpose. It provides the permanent address for your mail delivery, etc. and you tell them where your next stop will be and they then forward everything to you.

Of course you can live outside of the box and live and work lawfully.
Sounds like a great life to me, we aspire to live 'mobile' once hubby retires (again) I would probably want something as a base, just a little place somewhere, but for the major part, we want to be 'on the road'

Well, we can dream...
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
You need an RV
Thisa is a nice one ... http://www.newellcoach.com/inventory...php?coach=1285
Yes It Is....

Thanks to all who respond, I certainly will check in depth the links and info.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No pikeys though
Attached Thumbnails life on the road-no_pikeys1.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

you make such a jolly looking Santa Ray

not!