Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life after conditional residency

Life after conditional residency

Old Jan 20th 2004, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life after conditional residency

I am currently in the US as a permenant resident under a spousal visa. Given that my wife and I have been married for less than two years my residency is conditional for the two year period.

I was wondering, if my wife and I decide to permenantly stay in the US, whether we will have to continue with any ongoing visa processes for the rest of our days when the "condition" has been removed after two years.

Also:-

1. How long do you have to wait to get citizenship?

2.Do rights as a citizen differ between dual and sole citizenship of the US

3.Apart from voting rights and the ability to enter the US as a citizen, are there any other benefits?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2004, 4:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life after conditional residency

Originally posted by Britfrombristol

1. How long do you have to wait to get citizenship?

3 years

2.Do rights as a citizen differ between dual and sole citizenship of the US

Not that I am aware of, however once you become a US Citizen, and get into legal trouble, the UK Consular will offer no help

3.Apart from voting rights and the ability to enter the US as a citizen, are there any other benefits?

Jury Duty is enough to put me off. also if you become a US citizen and return to the UK, you'll still have to file taxes every year (I think, may be wrong on that one)
If the shit really hits the fan, you may still be drafted.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Manc-but do you know whether there are any future visa applications etc required when the conditional residency is lifted after two years?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I will apply to have my conditional status removed next month. You file to have it removed, and send the INS a rather large check or money order for the privilidge.

Once I get my PR card I will have to renew it every 10 years.

For the time (weeks/months/years) that I don't have my PR card I'll need to get an I-551 stamp in my passport at my local Detroit INS office every year.

Last edited by manc1976; Jan 20th 2004 at 8:37 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life after conditional residency

.... 3.Apart from voting rights and the ability to enter the US as a citizen, are there any other benefits? ....
As some spouses of 9/11 victims discovered there are tax/ insurance benefits to being a USC - I think it was life insurance payouts to non-USC spouses that were being taxed at a punitive rate (?). Sure you'll probably only worry about this in a "nightmare scenario", but that could be the all too common example of being involved in a car wreck.

If you are planning to make your life in the US I can see no valid reason not to take US citizenship as soon as you are able.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

I note what you say re the residency has a ten year life span after the "condition" has been removed. Do you know what criteria you have to satisfy to ensure that it is renewed at the expiry of the ten year period?

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:33 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

I note what you say re the residency has a ten year life span after the "condition" has been removed. Do you know what criteria you have to satisfy to ensure that it is renewed at the expiry of the ten year period?

Cheers
Have you looked at the US Immigration and Naturalisation webpages? I'm sure that the criteria are spelt out on these government documents.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:35 pm
@matthewb76

Do you know what criteria you have to satisfy to ensure that it is renewed at the expiry of the ten year period?

Cheers
Have and have had continued good moral character.
Ie, not being on Death row.