Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

License Plates as gifts?

License Plates as gifts?

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 1:56 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default License Plates as gifts?

My brother wants a US license plate with his name on it for Christmas.
If I can't get 'Richard' I've been advised to try and get "BWFC" (Bolton Wanderers FC )

Does anyone know if the DMV do this kind of "gift" license plate?
I would obviously try to find out myself but I'd rather eat a bag of soil than go down to the DMV to wait and ask them this question. Can't find owt on their webshite either.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:00 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: License Plates as gifts?

Originally Posted by Sarah
If I can't get 'Richard' I've been advised to try and get "BWFC" (Bolton Wanderers FC )

I would obviously try to find out myself but I'd rather eat a bag of soil than go down to the DMV to wait and ask them this question. Can't find owt on their webshite either.
I'd think that you'd have to have a car in the US with which to register the plate. In fact, IIRC, you have to fill in the vehicle identification number when you request a license plate. I'd say get him a US license plate holder-bracket thingy. Maybe with the Stars and Stripes on it. We have them on both our cars---alternating Stars and Stripes and Union Jack flags.

~SecretGarden
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought DICK would be a good alternative.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:12 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Sarah, I just realized that if your brother is in the UK, our standard sized license plate holder-bracket thingy isn't going to fit his plate.

Ne'er mind, eh?
~SG
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have retained my UK personalised plate...try looking on the web...there are companies that sell them too. They used to advertise in the UK papers...12 yrs or more ago...so they must be on the web.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:19 am
The Missus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have retained my UK personalised plate...try looking on the web...there are companies that sell them too. They used to advertise in the UK papers...12 yrs or more ago...so they must be on the web.
But I think she's saying she wants an American one to send to her brother in the UK. I don't think they're going to do that.

~SG
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

There should be a few places online that can make up a novelty licence plate for you but i cant be arsed to search as it YOUR brother NOT mine.

Loads of people that take their cars to shows use these so they must be getting them made someplace.

You could send him my plate.
Attached Thumbnails License Plates as gifts?-bmw-licence-plate.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:22 am
The Missus

Originally Posted by Rushman
There should be a few places online that can make up a novelty licence plate for you but i cant be arsed to search as it YOUR brother NOT mine.

Loads of people that take their cars to shows use these so they must be getting them made someplace.

So this would be a novelty plate, not an official plate from the DMV? Thank God Sarah doesn't have to eat a bag of soil or stand in line at the office.

~SecretGarden
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
So this would be a novelty plate, not an official plate from the DMV? Thank God Sarah doesn't have to eat a bag of soil or stand in line at the office.

~SecretGarden
Nope thats my genuine bona fide licence plate.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

But I think she's saying she wants an American one to send to her brother in the UK. I don't think they're going to do that.

~SG
I thought so at first then somebody mentioned the UK...but I think you're right.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:32 am
The Missus

Nope thats my genuine bona fide licence plate.
right, I know that's *YOUR* plate, but he doesn't have a US car with which to register it, does he?

Hell. Where did she go, anyway?
~SG
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:33 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Here's mine............... I don't usually drive the car with the flags, it was the world cup
Attached Thumbnails License Plates as gifts?-wc-jag-back.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's superb

Anyway, there's loads of places that do 'em....

http://www.customlicenseplates.com/

http://autotagsofgatlinburg.com/state_plates.html

And this one is just funny - http://www-chaos.umd.edu/misc/plates.html
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:33 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

right, I know that's *YOUR* plate, but he doesn't have a US car with which to register it, does he?

Hell. Where did she go, anyway?
~SG
Oops sorry I'm busy doing a Martha Stewart impression (no not being someones prison bitch) making a lemon meringue pie for Thanksgiving at the out-laws.

Thanks for all the tips though
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:34 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Bob
That's superb

Anyway, there's loads of places that do 'em....

http://www.customlicenseplates.com/

http://autotagsofgatlinburg.com/state_plates.html

And this one is just funny - http://www-chaos.umd.edu/misc/plates.html
I love you Bob.