Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Licence suspension

Licence suspension

Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Licence suspension

Originally Posted by Nutek

Trying to do anything close to the actual speed limit is absolutely terrifying.
Driving at any speed, especially this time of year is absolutely terrifying full stop, with all those pot holes and frost heave
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Driving at any speed, especially this time of year is absolutely terrifying full stop, with all those pot holes and frost heave
that's true enough.

Trying to drive at 55 though, around here, will get you crushed by a Semi.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We have engaged a lawyer who said he can appeal so will see what happens.

I understand that speeding is not good but as others have said, not many people on the highways around here stick to 50/55mph. I was always taught it's safer to drive in the flow of the traffic instead of forcing everyone to go around you.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We have engaged a lawyer who said he can appeal so will see what happens.

I understand that speeding is not good but as others have said, not many people on the highways around here stick to 50/55mph. I was always taught it's safer to drive in the flow of the traffic instead of forcing everyone to go around you.
My son used to get speeding tickets often and I told him to not drive in the left lane since the highway patrol primarily watches that lane and since then, he hasn't had a ticket. Never thought he'd listen to me.

In California we have so many 4 lane roads that there usually isn't any need to drive in the left lane.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:06 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
My son used to get speeding tickets often and I told him to not drive in the left lane since the highway patrol primarily watches that lane and since then, he hasn't had a ticket. Never thought he'd listen to me.

In California we have so many 4 lane roads that there usually isn't any need to drive in the left lane.
Are there four lanes on both sides of the Median?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:27 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Maybe not a hardened criminal, but 24 mph over the limit (50% over!) is surely dangerous.:
The I-95 here is 55 mph. 24mph over that speed is 79mph. Given it's a 4 lane motorway, I would struggle to suggest 79mph is 'dangerous'.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:28 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

Why do Americans say the 'left' lane rather than the 'outside' lane?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The I-95 here is 55 mph. 24mph over that speed is 79mph. Given it's a 4 lane motorway, I would struggle to suggest 79mph is 'dangerous'.
Agreed. Sometimes the drivers causing the most danger to themselves and others are ones driving at the speed limit. I am certainly no condoning excessive speeding, but my observation is that on an interstates where traffic is flowing quite nicely, and perfectly safely, at around 75-80, a vehicle doing 65 causes a bottleneck and unexpected braking.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2014 at 2:36 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. Sometimes the drivers causing the most danger to themselves and others are ones driving at the speed limit. I am certainly no condoning excessive speeding, but my observation is that on an interstates where traffic is flowing quite nicely, and perfectly safely, at around 75-80, a vehicle doing 65 causes a bottleneck and unexpected braking.
The entire system where I live with regards to speed limits is a disaster. 4 lane motorways have speed limits of 55mph, and the highest speed limit appears to be 65. Of which no one keeps to. Why the legislators in MA think 55 is an appropriate speed limit on a 4 lane motorway is beyond me. It just forces people to drive over the speed limit (and there in I think is the reason they're kept so low..*speeding fines* *cough*)

I gave up keeping to motorway speed limits once I realised that no one else gives a toss about the rules of the road here in MA so why should I. A total contrast to my approach to driving in England I should point out.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The entire system where I live with regards to speed limits is a disaster. 4 lane motorways have speed limits of 55mph, and the highest speed limit appears to be 65. Of which no one keeps to. Why the legislators in MA think 55 is an appropriate speed limit on a 4 lane motorway is beyond me. It just forces people to drive over the speed limit (and there in I think is the reason they're kept so low..*speeding fines* *cough*)

I gave up keeping to motorway speed limits once I realised that no one else gives a toss about the rules of the road here in MA so why should I. A total contrast to my approach to driving in England I should point out.
In most of NC the interstates have a 70 limit, but within 50 miles of Charlotte it is 65. ..... I don't expect this to change even though they are preparing to open a newly widened stretch of interstate in the Charlotte area that is quite simply the smoothest and best grade road I have ever driven on, at least in the US, and comparable the A417 which was "dualed" and realigned in the late 1990's between Cirencester (which also got a new bypass), and Birdlip (Gloucester). I blew along that road at 100mph in the early hours of one morning shortly after it was opened on the way to my parents for Christmas, it was like driving on a roller-coaster, and super-smooth.

To get the concrete surface as smooth as they have, they have run a grinding tool over the surface, which has left it not only a smooth as a billiard table, but also as quite as an asphalt surface.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2014 at 2:55 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The I-95 here is 55 mph...
It's 50mph on our stretch we used to use...which was a joke.

Saying that, after seeing a car lose a wheel/axle for hitting a pothole that was knee deep a couple years ago, I'm a bit edgy about speed during the frost heave season