Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Letting folks take photocopies of your ID/GC/SSN

Letting folks take photocopies of your ID/GC/SSN

Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:53 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letting folks take photocopies of your ID/GC/SSN

Maybe I misunderstood, and it is indeed all employees. Something about "back to 1998" was mentioned. To be honest I didn't pay too much attention...they needed to see and copy my Green Card, I didn't see it as a big issue.

Seems that while they had my Alien Number they didn't have the PR Card number. Without both they couldn't use my details in e-Verify. I don't know if this is the company starting up to use e-Verify or is carrying out some sort of audit.

I paid good money for my Green Card and accompanying documents and the place that sold them to me said they were good, so I'm comfortable with whatever is going on. Mind you, I never 100% trust Governments...
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:57 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Sounds to me as if they're a lawsuit or, worse still, an EEOC investigation waiting to happen. You verify everybody or nobody if you want to avoid it..

You rarely get less sense than an HR department. The rejects are destined to a life at DMV.
There was a similar thing where I work. As we're federal contractors we're required to use E-Verify now and it seems that "extra" information was required that wasn't originally collected when the I-9 was completed. This only affected certain employee groups (one of which was non-USCs).

Not sure if celticgrid has a similar situation.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:58 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You rarely get less sense than an HR department. The rejects are destined to a life at DMV.
I suspect this quote, along with my lackadaisical approach to such things, and therefore the level of attention I paid to what I was told, is causing any confusion.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:00 pm
Wondering if...

Originally Posted by zargof
There was a similar thing where I work. As we're federal contractors we're required to use E-Verify now and it seems that "extra" information was required that wasn't originally collected when the I-9 was completed. This only affected certain employee groups (one of which was non-USCs).

Not sure if celticgrid has a similar situation.
Well, we are federal suppliers, certainly. When I did my I-9 they got the Alien Number but not the Card Number. So, certain similarities, for sure. Whether they are relevant, I've no idea.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm hoping he just mis-typed.. I-9 applies to every worker regardless of citizenship.

I'm a little troubled by 'revalidating' since it's not supposed to be allowed, but it might be a condition of the employer starting up E-verify, which could be the loophole for reviewing *everyone's* documents (not just non citizens').
When our company started E-verify, they DID go back and review everyone's I-9. As it turned out, 2 people in our office had wrong information on their I-9's and had to be re-done. (they were not I-9's that I did, they were done elsewhere.) One had a completely wrong US passport number (evidently the person doing the I-9 wrote was doing 2 at one time, and wrote the wrong passport number down, and the mistake was never caught until now!). I can't remember the other error, but it came up when doing E-verify.

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the input.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I perform HR duties here at our branch office in Phoenix. Corporate is in Pasadena, Calif. When we have a new hire, I complete the I-9, make a photocopy of the documents they presented, plus a copy of their SS card. I scan and email this info to Corporate, and then I UPS the original I-9 + photocopies to them for their records.
You should find out if this email path is encrypted with TLS (or internal only between mail servers connected with a VPN)....otherwise it's probably just going in the clear over the internet....which could get you sued, I suspect.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:52 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
which could get you sued, I suspect.
Don't worry, Rene: we'll come and visit you in Joe Arpaio's Tent City...