Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Let them smoke

Let them smoke

Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Let them smoke

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040609/140/evjvi.html

And I always thought it was let them eat cake ?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:42 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

So what is their definition of "smoking in public?"

Does it mean anywhere outside of your own home?

Man this is getting ridiculous.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:44 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let them smoke

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040609/140/evjvi.html

"What enjoyment does a 21-year-old single mother of three living in a council sink estate get? The only enjoyment sometimes they have is to have a cigarette."
Evidently she has some other pass-times to have 3 kids by age 21. Guess she needs the smoke when they get done.

I imagine here in the States it will be illegal or child abuse soon for a parent to smoke at home with kids in the house.
In GA now you can not smoke in a car with a child- unless the window is open.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:49 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Bulloch County, Georgia and they have just made it illegal to smoke in restaurants here.

I can't enjoy a cigarette after my hash browns and coffee in the Waffle House now
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:25 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with it and not before time. The health secretaries analogy is quite intresting though. I really feel sorry for the dole scroungers (there's no way his 21 year old with three kids works) if they have to give up the only pleasure in their lives, (aside from the big screen telly, DVD player and XBOX that is) It's intresting how certain unemployed people (talking of the schemie variety so don't flame me) can aford to buy 20 cigs a day. Yes it's selfish to try and remove something that costs billions to the British tax payer and puts a massive strain on the NHS isnt it? After all that's what a welfare state like Britain is for...so let them have their "only pleasure in life" and don't worry, the tax payer will pay for their lung cancer treatment and funeral costs when they snuff it later!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:56 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
how certain unemployed people (talking of the schemie variety so don't flame me) can aford to buy 20 cigs a day. Yes it's selfish to try and remove something that costs billions to the British tax payer and puts a massive strain on the NHS isnt it?
Actually it's a fallacy that smokers cost the system more.
1.) Smokers pay a tremendous amount of tax on the tobacco they consume, adding to the public kitty.
2.) Smokers die on average 15 years before their non-smoking counterparts. For every 1 that reaches chronic stage and has cancer, COPD or heart disease (and thus run up the bill) 50 more have dies in their 50's or 60's- well before they have begun to cost the gov't big bucks.

In essence, we neeed MORE smokers to balance the budget.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let them smoke

Originally posted by ironporer
Evidently she has some other pass-times to have 3 kids by age 21. Guess she needs the smoke when they get done.

I imagine here in the States it will be illegal or child abuse soon for a parent to smoke at home with kids in the house.
In GA now you can not smoke in a car with a child- unless the window is open.
Smoking in the home here in the US is considered a form of Child Abuse.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
Actually it's a fallacy that smokers cost the system more.
1.) Smokers pay a tremendous amount of tax on the tobacco they consume, adding to the public kitty.
2.) Smokers die on average 15 years before their non-smoking counterparts. For every 1 that reaches chronic stage and has cancer, COPD or heart disease (and thus run up the bill) 50 more have dies in their 50's or 60's- well before they have begun to cost the gov't big bucks.

In essence, we neeed MORE smokers to balance the budget.
I agree to a certain extent IP, BUT...........

in Britain, I have absolutely no doubt that her ciggies are coming out of her welfare check......
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:19 pm
Maño-Americano

Originally posted by manc1976
I agree to a certain extent IP, BUT...........

in Britain, I have absolutely no doubt that her ciggies are coming out of her welfare check......

Maybe they ought to double their cig ration, even give em free heroin too- kinda like a benevolant (or Malevolant) welfare reform??
Free booze, free cigs, free smack, hopefully theey "drop" off the dole in 4-5 years.