Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Legal advice required

Legal advice required

Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Legal advice required

Last month I posted a thread about my bank JPMorgan Chase who had transferred more money to my UK bank account than I had authorised. The over payment has now been returned to my Chase bank account but there is a $236 shortfall due to interest rates and transfer fees. I have called Chase 4 times requesting that this amount be put back into my account to no avail.

After speaking to the manager again today, I have told her that unless the money is back in my account by close of business of Friday, I will close the account, close my Chase mastercard account and take legal action to recover the money. Of course when legal action was threatened the call was terminated immediately!

Chase have verbally admitted that they were at fault and my UK bank have evidence of this. Why should I be $236 out of pocket because the bank made a mistake? Have they never heard of good customer relations?

Any legal eagles out there willing to give advice would be very much appreciated.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:26 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal advice required

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Last month I posted a thread about my bank JPMorgan Chase who had transferred more money to my UK bank account than I had authorised. The over payment has now been returned to my Chase bank account but there is a $236 shortfall due to interest rates and transfer fees. I have called Chase 4 times requesting that this amount be put back into my account to no avail.

After speaking to the manager again today, I have told her that unless the money is back in my account by close of business of Friday, I will close the account, close my Chase mastercard account and take legal action to recover the money. Of course when legal action was threatened the call was terminated immediately!

Chase have verbally admitted that they were at fault and my UK bank have evidence of this. Why should I be $236 out of pocket because the bank made a mistake? Have they never heard of good customer relations?

Any legal eagles out there willing to give advice would be very much appreciated.
Call one of your local ambulance chaser law firms and see if they are interested in the case. They usually do free 1st consultation.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Are you just dealing with your local manager/staff?

I would write to their CEO, then also write to the BBB (not the most effective but try every road)
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

or the bloke on the radio in the evenings.... I'm forgetting his name.... Clark... something?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:34 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

You might struggle I think.
Its like when o2 cancelled my direct debit for my phone bill back home. The first I knew was when they cut me off because I hadn't paid the bill.
I called o2 and they denied all knowledge. I then called my bank who told me o2 cancelled it. I called o2 back and they finally admitted it.
At the time I used the phone a lot for business and it took 4 days to get things rectified (it happened over a weekend). My bank also charged for the direct debit to be set up again.
I asked o2 repeatedly to refund the cost of resetting the direct debit plus maybe a sum to compensate me for my inconvenience. 4 times they refused point blank. I even sent a letter to the md. They replied too and said only that it wasn't o2's policy to offer compensation - what even when you have f**ked up - nice way to do business.

I would suspect that many big companies are the same. In your case the threat to take your business elsewhere. Chase will know full well how much it would cost you initially to pursue them for such a small sum.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Are you just dealing with your local manager/staff?

I would write to their CEO, then also write to the BBB (not the most effective but try every road)
I spoke to the branch manager. I have also just spoken to their investigation dept. in NYC who have been handling this but they said it was down to the manager. Have not been able to get a name or contact no. of a higher authority. Extremely frustrating.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:38 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to the branch manager. I have also just spoken to their investigation dept. in NYC who have been handling this but they said it was down to the manager. Have not been able to get a name or contact no. of a higher authority. Extremely frustrating.
Here's an idea - if you do get a name of someone higher up or a department that deals with complaints about managers (cos it sounds like he's your problem here) you may not have to use it - the mere threat of it to the pencil-necker paper shuffler may be enough to put the fear of god into him and get him to act.

I'm not sure, but i would imagine that chase is split up into regions for reporting/personnel matters like most other banks.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
or the bloke on the radio in the evenings.... I'm forgetting his name.... Clark... something?
Clark Howard. Worth a google and a try.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Clark Howard. Worth a google and a try.
Just letting them know you're sending a letter to a radio show might get them to refund it.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Here's an idea - if you do get a name of someone higher up or a department that deals with complaints about managers (cos it sounds like he's your problem here) you may not have to use it - the mere threat of it to the pencil-necker paper shuffler may be enough to put the fear of god into him and get him to act.

I'm not sure, but i would imagine that chase is split up into regions for reporting/personnel matters like most other banks.
Problem no. 1 is being able to understand the person on the other end of the phone and then trying to get them to understand you

Problem no. 2 is I can't seem to get another name, phone number, email address other than that of the bank manager. Although I do have a list of their board members.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Just letting them know you're sending a letter to a radio show might get them to refund it.
Might try and contact NBC in NYC they have a guy 'Ask Asa' that takes on these sorts of problems. Might be worth giving it a go.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:45 pm
Thinking about it

Problem no. 1 is being able to understand the person on the other end of the phone and then trying to get them to understand you
Are you talking to the Chase New Dehli branch ??
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

William B Harrison Jr
Chairman of the Board
James Dimon CEO

270 Park Avenue
New York
NY 10017
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Might try and contact NBC in NYC they have a guy 'Ask Asa' that takes on these sorts of problems. Might be worth giving it a go.
Write a letter and CC: the Chase manager.

The last thing he wants is for Chase to look bad on radio because he didn't refund a few hundred dollars.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It'll not be worth using a lawyer for such a small sum.

Would suggest you use Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, their federal regulators, and file a formal complaint. There is a procedure and you can obtain compensation.

http://www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.