Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving the US

Leaving the US

Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice
Default Leaving the US

After a bit over two glorious (and sometimes challenging) years in the US, I've accepted a job back home (same company), and will leave the US in a few months. We'll probably head back to the US, but not for at least 5 years.

I'm essentially looking for recommendations for what to do and not do when leaving the US. We'll need to turn in our green cards, but what to do about credit cards, keeping a PO box, etc ? Feedback on what to keep, and what to ditch would be appreciated.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the US

Originally Posted by Hovik
After a bit over two glorious (and sometimes challenging) years in the US, I've accepted a job back home (same company), and will leave the US in a few months. We'll probably head back to the US, but not for at least 5 years.

I'm essentially looking for recommendations for what to do and not do when leaving the US. We'll need to turn in our green cards, but what to do about credit cards, keeping a PO box, etc ? Feedback on what to keep, and what to ditch would be appreciated.
We left the US after 2 years. We didn't have green cards, just L visas so there was nothing to do for that.

We kept open our Bank of America bank account. Since there would be no salary being paid into it we converted the account to a basic internet only account so we would not pay any charges. We still have that account 2 years later - they had no problem updating our address to a UK address.

We didn't bother with a PO box, we simply used the USPS mail redirecting service - that will get mail sent to you at your UK address for free. I can't remember if that is for one year or two.

For credit cards, we kind of kept them on for a bit (just in case it would be useful to have a card with a US billing address) but in the end we decided to cancel them which we did before new cards would be issued as we had never changed the address to our UK address.

Didn't bother doing anything with driving licences - just let those lapse.

Tax returns were a bit fiddly as we moved mid year - part of my husband's repatriation deal included tax prep by accountants so we didn't need to worry too much about the detail on that.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:27 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Re: driving licences, if you keep them valid then you won't have to take the driving test again when you return. Many states have ways to renew overseas. I renewed my Washington state licence while overseas, and they gave me a new one that was valid for driving but didn't have a picture. When I moved to Oregon later, I was able to just trade in the licence and not have to take a road test. (I did have to take the written test.)
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:12 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful about intentions to return, some US states will see that and want you to keep paying state taxes.

If you are giving up the green cards make sure you file I-407 and then inform the IRS for you NRA status, if you have lived in the US for 8 out of the last 15 years you'll need to file and 8854.

If you own any US mutual funds sell them before you return so that you can avoid having to deal with potential UK non-reporting funds issues.

If you have any US retirement funds I'd consolidate them into a single IRA and understand how that are treated for UK tax purposes.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:57 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Be careful about intentions to return, some US states will see that and want you to keep paying state taxes.
OP's profile says Washington which has no state income taxes, so he should be OK there.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about taking out US citizenship?
Thats probably not a good idea because then you would have to file a US tax return each year you are out of the country.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:39 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I were leaving too.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

God - you lucky sod. We've put a hard limit on 18 more months here. The more I stay, the less I like the place or the very odd people and their Byzantine attitudes....

Last edited by dlake02; Dec 20th 2012 at 12:57 am.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:40 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Have you thought about taking out US citizenship?
Thats probably not a good idea because then you would have to file a US tax return each year you are out of the country.
They've only been here for two years so that isn't an option is it?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky bastard.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:44 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Lucky bastard.
What she said.