Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK, Checklist to do.

Leaving the UK, Checklist to do.

Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving the UK, Checklist to do.

Leaving 14th June, and apart from the obvious things I'd have to do anyway when moving such as sorting out bills, selling off the car and such, is there anything else I have to do before leaving the country?

For example, is it a requirement to tell HMRC or just a courtesy? Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK, Checklist to do.

Others will be along with lists, for sure, but for HMRC you need to complete a P85:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

and take a look at the Wiki above:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Apr 19th 2016 at 12:42 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Leaving 14th June, and apart from the obvious things I'd have to do anyway when moving such as sorting out bills, selling off the car and such, is there anything else I have to do before leaving the country?

For example, is it a requirement to tell HMRC or just a courtesy? Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a place in the States yet? Once we sorted the movers etc we flew to the US to secure a house to rent (early March) with the lease starting on the 1st April - once that was done we then arranged all utilities etc to be in place for the day we landed. We also arranged DirecTV and Internet visits the morning after we landed along with dogs being delivered.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Staying with my wafes parents to begin with, so relatively little to worry about that end. At least initially.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Others will be along with lists, for sure, but for HMRC you need to complete a P85:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

and take a look at the Wiki above:

List of what to do and when about Moving : British Expat Wiki
Just saw your edit, thanks MA
Old Apr 19th 2016, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter

Thanks in advance.
If you're leaving in June, you definitely want to tell HMRC - your employer(s) would have been withholding tax on the basis of you being there for the entire 2016/17 tax year, so you're likely to get most or all of it back. I don't know, though, if HMRC do that as part of the notification process, or if you have to fill in a tax return for it next April.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 6:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Completing your P85 is not mandatory but you'll likely get all the tax you paid for 2016/2017 back.

You should probably also think about redirecting your post using Royal Mail's redirection service.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/r...il/redirection
Old Apr 19th 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need your P45 before submitting the P85, but you can submit it electronically and they pay any refund direct to your bank, if your employer doesn't give you your P45 make sure it goes somewhere safe, I had mine sent to my Dad then he scanned it in.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kodokan
If you're leaving in June, you definitely want to tell HMRC - your employer(s) would have been withholding tax on the basis of you being there for the entire 2016/17 tax year, so you're likely to get most or all of it back. I don't know, though, if HMRC do that as part of the notification process, or if you have to fill in a tax return for it next April.
Thank you, Seeing as I will only have been working April and May it won't be that much, but better than a kick in the nuts as my dad always tells me.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Completing your P85 is not mandatory but you'll likely get all the tax you paid for 2016/2017 back.

You should probably also think about redirecting your post using Royal Mail's redirection service.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/r...il/redirection
Thanks, I already have that sorted.

Originally Posted by scottyvisa
You'll need your P45 before submitting the P85, but you can submit it electronically and they pay any refund direct to your bank, if your employer doesn't give you your P45 make sure it goes somewhere safe, I had mine sent to my Dad then he scanned it in.
I have asked my employer today when they will get the P45 to me, but if I can do it online essentially, then that is great, thank you.