Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving the country after 5 years

Leaving the country after 5 years

Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:59 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the country after 5 years

Originally Posted by london_calling
But if you think of Europe as a whole the landscape isn't much more diverse in the US, unless you're really into desert scenery. And with US vacation allowance and flight prices, it's easier to actually explore Europe.

As for your second point, you have to go pretty far outside NYC to find anything really spectacular..
An hour's drive from NYC the countryside is beautiful and a pleasure to visit or live in. I'd save the "spectacular" designation for somewhere like Monument Valley.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 4:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_calling
But if you think of Europe as a whole the landscape isn't much more diverse in the US, unless you're really into desert scenery. And with US vacation allowance and flight prices, it's easier to actually explore Europe.

As for your second point, you have to go pretty far outside NYC to find anything really spectacular..
How far is outside of NYC and what is considered spectacular?

The are many minuses in living in the US and you have named several but it is not the wasteland that you make it out to be. I can fly KLM from JFK to Amsterdam for $325 round trip. It costs me more to fly now from Mississippi to Westchester County just outside of NYC to visit my hometown, family and friends.

In 1-1/2 to 2 hours, I can be in Vermont or the Berkshires in Massachusetts or the Finger Lakes of Upper New York State or in the Chesapeake Bay.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 28th 2016 at 4:12 am.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

These revolving doors, have a tendency to hit you on the back on the way out, whichever OP I'm addressing. Are these posts (from said OP's) just trolls missing Cheddar Gorge?
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Andrew_365 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
If I remember correctly a lot of the stuff in the previous thread originated from a lack of clarity of the OP - like were they staying illegally in the USA.

I'm dumfounded that you think that the UK is behind on banking compared to the USA.

I Googled Venmo and it seems that it's a way to transfer money? The majority of banks in the UK participate in faster payments and therefore transfer funds immediately, so no need for a 3rd party app.

At the end of the day, whatever country has pros and cons like you've stated, and only the individual can decide what's best for them.

Merry Christmas
American Banking system is behind the times compared to the UK banking system and this stemmed the creation of Venmo. Although transferring money between banks is relatively simple in the UK Venmo makes it so much easier. Actually barclays created PingIt in the UK a few years ago which is similar but it didn't take off.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew_365
American Banking system is behind the times compared to the UK banking system and this stemmed the creation of Venmo. Although transferring money between banks is relatively simple in the UK Venmo makes it so much easier. Actually barclays created PingIt in the UK a few years ago which is similar but it didn't take off.
I also used eggpay back in 2006 ish , where you could send money to an email address. This was pre smartphone days.