Leaving AZ

Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:02 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving AZ

Originally Posted by Retseh
We used to live in Maryland and I had work to do in Newark. It was the smell I could never quite get used to, the awful people there were the least of it.
this is like saying the whole of East Anglia is a dump because you once worked in Dagenham.

Berk.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:25 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usoruk
thanks for the feedback-most inner city areas are dumpy. Flying into AZ the first time- the mountains looked amazing. Once we landed and began driving -it was a different story. The run down shacks, dust balls everywhere, power lines, rinky dinky or what!!- the newer, HOA run suburbs are very nice, clean, spooky quiet!, but you have to drive away from the southern city areas. We live in Surprise and it is spotless. Same like in the UK. East London, or Lozells in Birmingham are not appealing but as you drive out into less built up country areas, it is very appealing. In the Uk my family home is in Bucks, gorgeous countryside, beautiful historic villages etc.

NJ mostly is beautiful. We first lived in Kinnelon- country area with all the lovely, winding back roads like England. Hubby used to live in Paterson when he was little- a really dingy, crime ridden place-until his family moved to Northern NJ- He showed me around NJ alot-I never once got homesick for the country side of England because NJ filled that gap. It was'nt until we moved to AZ, that the overwhelming feelings of wanting to be home came over me. We may not be going back to the UK-unless we miraculously won the lottery!! and can afford to live in those lovely neighbourhoods-but preparing to move back to the East coast has given me a spring in my step!!
well said - we live just up the road from Kinnelon and my daily commute takes me past there.

If I was to play Retseh's game and judge an entire state based on the one small part of it I've visited I'd say Arizona was like a third world country: some amazing landscapes but poverty-stricken and a bit lacking in basic infrastructure and economic opportunities for the locals. A bit like South Africa away from the major cities.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
this is like saying the whole of East Anglia is a dump because you once worked in Dagenham.

Berk.
My Dad worked in Dagenham, I had friends there. Never heard anybody call it East Anglia?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:55 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Boiler
My Dad worked in Dagenham, I had friends there. Never heard anybody call it East Anglia?
Dagenham was historically in Essex and administratively it only became part of London in 1965. Having grown up in Suffolk I always thought that Essex was part of East Anglia but it seems not everyone agrees. Perhaps a better analogy would have been judging the whole of Essex based on Dagenham.

Last edited by elfman; Jul 11th 2010 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usoruk
Yes we have decided. We are going back to NJ.

I will post again as soon as I can once I am in NJ. But thankyou to all who gave such great advice.
Congratulations on your decision! I'm enjoying AZ but from what you've said, I think you'll be much happier in NJ. I really, really hope you enjoy it ! Keep us posted on your experiences there.

Originally Posted by Retseh
Oh well, New Jersey may be one of the USA's biggest dumps but at least you don't have to go back to the UK.

I had a negative impression of NJ from business trips to Newark (the waste-water treatment plant, no less!) but then I got invited to visit another Brit living in Morristown. What a contrast! It was beautiful. If you can stand the heat and humidity of summer, and the cold winters, it's great.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Dagenham was historically in Essex and administratively it only became part of London in 1965. Having grown up in Suffolk I always thought that Essex was part of East Anglia but it seems not everyone agrees. Perhaps a better analogy would have been judging the whole of Essex based on Dagenham.
Historically!

I can remember when it was.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Congratulations on your decision! I'm enjoying AZ but from what you've said, I think you'll be much happier in NJ. I really, really hope you enjoy it ! Keep us posted on your experiences there.

I had a negative impression of NJ from business trips to Newark (the waste-water treatment plant, no less!) but then I got invited to visit another Brit living in Morristown. What a contrast! It was beautiful. If you can stand the heat and humidity of summer, and the cold winters, it's great.
Hey...give me a shout if you ever have the opportunity to visit M/town again...I live a few miles away.