Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Leave My Child Alone"

Wikiposts

"Leave My Child Alone"

Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Leave My Child Alone"

I never got any calls for my son before he turned 18, or afterwards either...and he filled in the paperwork for the draft when he got his full license. Maybe they've seen his record...
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
I never got any calls for my son before he turned 18, or afterwards either...and he filled in the paperwork for the draft when he got his full license. Maybe they've seen his record...
Academic or criminal?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Academic or criminal?

Both, academics weren't great all through HS, and thankfully after a STUPID prank for HS, when he was under 18, what record he did have, was sealed when he turned 18.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Both, academics weren't great all through HS, and thankfully after a STUPID prank for HS, when he was under 18, what record he did have, was sealed when he turned 18.
Good on the latter.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Good on the latter.
Yes, he;s a good boy now, goes to full time tech school and works all the hours Home Depot give him (which is a lot, as apparently no other bugger turns up for work on a daily basis).

As for his 'crim'record... it made him quite famous... he got on MTV because of it
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
"emphasising the sports facilities"!!!

Do they also mention that little skirmish in the cradle of civilization, I wonder...

I always remember the scene from Private Benjamin where Goldie Hawn is asking where the condos were that the recruiter spoke of.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:55 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We already got the call from the recruiter a few weeks ago. My daughter (she's almost 18) answered the phone and despite telling him repeatedly that she was British and had no intention of signing up he kept on at her, he was particularly pushing the college tuition, which she told him she didn't need as she was going back to the UK to study. (she is, but not until she's had a gap year)

I told her to put the phone down, she told him she was going to and he still told her that they would have a recruitment pack at the school for her if she wanted it.

I do believe that we (USC) have to do a similar thing if stationed in Germany and have a child born there. Otherwise the boys are considered fair game for the Bundesfer.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I do believe that we (USC) have to do a similar thing if stationed in Germany and have a child born there. Otherwise the boys are considered fair game for the Bundesfer.
don't know, don't think the kids would get german citizenship automatically, so they probably wouldn't...but in austria, if kid is born there, when at 18 they have to say if they want to keep austrian citizenship, and if they do, will have to do national service....and errr...sod that for a laugh running around cold winter mountains and all that *l*.

But speaking of recruiters, there's one tw@ in the bangor mall on the holidays, he's tried to get me to sign up a couple times and doesn't believe I'm English, he keeps saying enough of the accent and all that...the plank...
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't chase my middle son much either Just got one phone call for him. But my eldest..he did the military tests in school and aced them all..they were literally knocking on our front door for him.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 8:54 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I always remember the scene from Private Benjamin where Goldie Hawn is asking where the condos were that the recruiter spoke of.
I thought they only promised condoms?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
... my eldest..he did the military tests in school and aced them all..they were literally knocking on our front door for him.

MILITARY TESTS IN SCHOOL??? :scared:

WTF is that all about? I've heard of the military sending recruiters to school - which I consider to be obscene - but this is the first I hear of military tests!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:28 am
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

There was a great article in Vanity Fair (one with Jennifer Aniston) which showed the slimy tricks the US Army has resorted to in recruiting kids. If kids failed their medicals they would still get them passed, they even advised some kids to stop taking their ritalin and other drugs so they would pass the drug screen and then advised them to start taking them again after the tests were completed. They are also putting pressure on their own soldiers and give them quotas to fill each month, if the quotas aren't filled with enough new recruits then there are consequences. One soldier was killed in a car accident because he was so tired from all the driving to try and meet his quota and one soldier I believe committed suicide because of the pressure and the underhand tatics which he was forced to do.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:36 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: "Leave My Child Alone"

You couldn't make this stuff up - its a game designed to attract young people into enlisting - check this out and click on the logo:

http://www.americasarmy.com

(Oddly enough, there is a 'jobs' section and they're recruiting games designers.....isn't there someone on this board who does that?)

Here's an article about the heavy handed military recruitment going on at some schools:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160406,00.html

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 9th 2005 at 12:39 am.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
(Oddly enough, there is a 'jobs' section and they're recruiting games designers.....isn't there someone on this board who does that?)
there's a few...and yeah, i applied
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I am suprised that the US army needs to use sneak tricks to recruit people. After all 59 million voted for bush and his policies. I would have thought enough of them are either old enough or have kids who would jump at the chance to go fight & die for their chosen one's beliefs ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.