Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

learning to drive in US

learning to drive in US

Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Hulasue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default learning to drive in US

I have been in the US (Hawaii) since March now and I finally have given in to the fact I will need to learn to drive
My husband holds a British driving license. He will have to take his US test by March 2009, but when he does, will he be able to teach me to drive in the family car if I get insurance? Does he have to have had a US license for a set period?
I know I have to take a theory test.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in US

Rules vary by state. A lot of this was run through last time you asked:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545201
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:32 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

well dunno about where you are but my hubby has just taught me to drive and im taking my test in the next few weeks!! All they ask for at the driving centre is for you to sign form saying you have had 40 hours road experience.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

ShelleyMan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hulasue
I have been in the US (Hawaii) since March now and I finally have given in to the fact I will need to learn to drive
My husband holds a British driving license. He will have to take his US test by March 2009, but when he does, will he be able to teach me to drive in the family car if I get insurance? Does he have to have had a US license for a set period?
Hello - well in Texas, I had to take the theory and driving test. I had a UK license so just had to learn to drive on the right side of the road - it was not too bad, infact during the test I was driving on the wrong side of the road and they still gave me a license. Good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

I realise rules vary from state to state. I have looked at the DMV website and elsewhere but none of them tell me how long the person you learn with has to have held their license for.
In the UK it is 3 years.
Can he start teching me as soon as he gets his US license?
I am on th Big Island, Hawaii, Hilo by the way
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I gave my wife one driving lesson, after that she went to a driving school to save our marriage.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

People learn to drive here? That's news to me.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I realise rules vary from state to state. I have looked at the DMV website and elsewhere but none of them tell me how long the person you learn with has to have held their license for.
In the UK it is 3 years.
Can he start teching me as soon as he gets his US license?
I am on th Big Island, Hawaii, Hilo by the way
Well, this is the US and not the UK. If there is nothing posted on the DMV site about the length of possession of a DL's needed to teach someone else to drive, it is because there is none. There isn't any in New York State.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Well, this is the US and not the UK. If there is nothing posted on the DMV site about the length of possession of a DL's needed to teach someone else to drive, it is because there is none. There isn't any in New York State.
The only requirement in my state is that the teacher must be over 21 and be a licensed driver.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Go to your states dmv site and find out.

Generally, you've got to have had your license for 3 years and be over 21 to teach someone to drive, but that might not be the case for your state.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/vrl/dlgeninfo.html

I am reading this and getting nowhere
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:13 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

that site said 'Applicants must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is 21 years of age or older. That person must be present when the applicant is called by the examiner for the road test and until the completion of the road test. ' so i would guess he's good to go once he has the licence!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it! My mother grew up in San Francisco always using public transport. She too learned to drive in Hawaii when they moved there.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:26 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
You can do it! My mother grew up in San Francisco always using public transport. She too learned to drive in Hawaii when they moved there.
I can't see it being too hard. Drive a few miles, turn around, drive a few miles, turn around.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I can't see it being too hard. Drive a few miles, turn around, drive a few miles, turn around.
and that's the island covered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.