Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Learning to Drive

Learning to Drive

Old Sep 4th 2021, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Petra75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to Drive

My son will be moving to New York shortly on a K1 visa, as he isn't able to work for a while he would like to learn to drive, is this possible and if so how would he go about it? He has never learned to drive in the UK and does not have a provisional license
Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to Drive

He’d have to start from scratch, but it’s pretty easy. He’ll need to pass a simple sight test and a multiple choice theory test to get his learner’s permit. There are apps for learning the rules tested in the theory test. The learner’s permit has pretty much the same restrictions as a UK provisional licence (must be supervised) and a few other quirks such as you can’t drive on NY parkways (interstates however are absolutely fine!). If he’s pretty young (I think it may be under 21) I think there is a minimum number of paid lessons he’d have to take, but that doesn’t apply to adults, although obviously he’d be wise to get professional lessons.

Before he can do the road test, he’ll have to attend a five-hour pre-licensing course where he basically has to watch videos about road safety. Most driving schools will offer this. The actual road test is almost laughably easy: takes about ten minutes driving around residential streets. The main things that they test for that could cause a fail is competence at parallel parking, three-point turns, proper checking of mirrors and blind spots when maneuvering and of course compliance with stop signs. I was even told to slow down a couple of times by my examiner and she still passed me with no points deducted!

There are some arcane rules about supervision, insurance and not driving in the test area until taking the test that are best dealt with by hiring the instructor and their car to take him to the test area and then performing the test.

I passed first time at age 47 having never driven before after about 2-3 months of lessons!

NB my experience is a few years back pre-covid. I think some things have changed because of the pandemic but I believe what I’ve written is broadly still true.

You don’t say where in New York your son will be, but if it should be in or near Westchester County I’d heartily recommend my instructor. Adrian’s Driving School of Mount Kisco.

Edited to add: NY DMV has some onerous rules about identification/proof of address docs before you can apply for a learners permit/license, so that may delay him getting started. Unless they’ve relaxed this due to COVID, they require sight of an applicant’s social security number card, so he’d be well advised to get that sorted as fast as he can.

Last edited by rpjs; Sep 4th 2021 at 6:38 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs
He’d have to start from scratch, but it’s pretty easy. He’ll need to pass a simple sight test and a multiple choice theory test to get his learner’s permit. There are apps for learning the rules tested in the theory test. The learner’s permit has pretty much the same restrictions as a UK provisional licence (must be supervised) and a few other quirks such as you can’t drive on NY parkways (interstates however are absolutely fine!). If he’s pretty young (I think it may be under 21) I think there is a minimum number of paid lessons he’d have to take, but that doesn’t apply to adults, although obviously he’d be wise to get professional lessons.

Before he can do the road test, he’ll have to attend a five-hour pre-licensing course where he basically has to watch videos about road safety. Most driving schools will offer this. The actual road test is almost laughably easy: takes about ten minutes driving around residential streets. The main things that they test for that could cause a fail is competence at parallel parking, three-point turns, proper checking of mirrors and blind spots when maneuvering and of course compliance with stop signs. I was even told to slow down a couple of times by my examiner and she still passed me with no points deducted!

There are some arcane rules about supervision, insurance and not driving in the test area until taking the test that are best dealt with by hiring the instructor and their car to take him to the test area and then performing the test.

I passed first time at age 47 having never driven before after about 2-3 months of lessons!

NB my experience is a few years back pre-covid. I think some things have changed because of the pandemic but I believe what I’ve written is broadly still true.

You don’t say where in New York your son will be, but if it should be in or near Westchester County I’d heartily recommend my instructor. Adrian’s Driving School of Mount Kisco.

Edited to add: NY DMV has some onerous rules about identification/proof of address docs before you can apply for a learners permit/license, so that may delay him getting started. Unless they’ve relaxed this due to COVID, they require sight of an applicant’s social security number card, so he’d be well advised to get that sorted as fast as he can.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response 🙂, he's 26 and it's actually New Jersey he is moving to (autocorrect fail 🤦🏻‍♀️).
Old Sep 4th 2021, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petra75
Thank you so much for such a detailed response 🙂, he's 26 and it's actually New Jersey he is moving to (autocorrect fail 🤦🏻‍♀️).
My daughter learnt drivers ed in high school. She had 2 driving lessons. The first time she was taken on the highway/motorway. Her driving test consisted of driving in a straight line in an empty at park. Then she had to parallel park between 2 cones approx 50 yds apart. There are various forms of proof that are required to obtain the actual license.

https://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter learnt drivers ed in high school. She had 2 driving lessons. The first time she was taken on the highway/motorway. Her driving test consisted of driving in a straight line in an empty at park. Then she had to parallel park between 2 cones approx 50 yds apart. There are various forms of proof that are required to obtain the
That's really helpful, thank you 😊

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 5th 2021 at 12:29 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

My son actually took his driving test this week. They did the written part of the test in school, but I did it as an adult at the DMV. There are 50 questions and you have to get 40 right.(or something like that...) Its multiple choice and you can skip questions, there are practice ones online. Make sure you know all the info about restrictions with age and alcohol. Even though most wont apply they are heavy on those on the test. There was a vision test at the DMV for me too, my son did his at the driving school.

My son had to do 6 hours of lessons (he did it 3 x 2 hours). Day 1 got right in the car and drove off. They then take the filled in paperwork (and loads of ID) and give you a provisional license. My son had to have 6 months practice and be 17 to put in for his test. The rules change with age. You need a car with a hand brake for the test. We did a refresher drive with the instructor and used their car. The test was a parallel park that was about the size of a car and a half (I was surprised how closely the cones were set out) k turn out of the space and turn round, stop and reverse in a straight line, then go up to a stop sign. They turned left round the back of the testing site and left onto the main road then first left into the lot again and up to a stop sign. Test center speed limit was 15 and they needed to not touch any yellow lines when exiting. After passing they may let you in to complete the regular license application, or you may have to go back (another day , ours does 50 per day). took about an hour inside for my son to go the the counters for ID checks again, photo and payment and the license will come in the post as they recently changed to a central processing and printing.

Take as much ID as you have. Need 6 points but take everything you have, they are not usually very friendly and seem to like to send people out without processing anything (our experience on multiple occasions) . Not all DMVs are doing driving tests. The one I usually go to because the staff are nicer is only doing vehicle related stuff, so I had to go to the one I usually avoid.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 9:59 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The proof of identification is related to the national "REAL ID" legislation. My driver's license dates back to 1966 but two years back my renewal required REAL ID compliance and it was a PIA. Read the requirements carefully.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One thing your son needs to make himself aware of are the restriction(s) imposed upon him coming in on a K-1. He can obtain a Social Security card within ten days of arrival. However, while the SS# MAY allow him to take the written test (hopefully), he will not be able to get a driver's license until he has his Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and that he will not be eligible to apply for until after his marriage and he has filed for adjustment of status.

The EAD can take from 30 to 120 days or more after filing. That means he will not be able to work either until he has the card.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The proof of identification is related to the national "REAL ID" legislation. My driver's license dates back to 1966 but two years back my renewal required REAL ID compliance and it was a PIA. Read the requirements carefully.
NJ still issues non real ID by default - so this is just the standard 6 points of ID nonsense they've had for a long time.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
NJ still issues non real ID by default - so this is just the standard 6 points of ID nonsense they've had for a long time.
It was introduced after 9/11 because many of the hijackers had DLs but were not residents.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 5:48 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I hope his fiance has a decent history with their insurance company. Rates can already be pretty high for first-time drivers.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was introduced after 9/11 because many of the hijackers had DLs but were not residents.
Yeah, interestingly Real ID is a post 9/11 reform too but just keeps on getting pushed.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 7:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I hope his fiance has a decent history with their insurance company. Rates can already be pretty high for first-time drivers.
Always check if the company you work with are members of New Jersey Manufacturers. They are a much sought after insurance company for Jersey residents. Excellent service and rates.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EAD is 6 to 8 months did see somebody who has been waiting over a year YMMV