Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lawerance, Mass?

Lawerance, Mass?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lawerance, Mass?

Well it probably isn't going to amount to anything, but anyway in case it does, just wondering if anyone has been there and knows what the town is like?

The usual questions really, is it worth living there or better to commute in?
Any decent public transport in town?
Rent affordable? Well reasonable rent for say a small apartment or a two bedroom house?

Gonna do all the usual suspects about salary comparisons, google for info and all that, but just wanted to know the feel of the place from others that knew first.

Cheers
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lawerance, Mass?

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it probably isn't going to amount to anything,
That's what my Dad used to say when he looked scornfully at me.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:52 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it probably isn't going to amount to anything, but anyway in case it does, just wondering if anyone has been there and knows what the town is like?

Rent affordable? Well reasonable rent for say a small apartment or a two bedroom house?

Gonna do all the usual suspects about salary comparisons, google for info and all that, but just wanted to know the feel of the place from others that knew first.

Cheers
Don't know too much about it. I've looked on the internet for affordable property to buy in Northern Ma it's definitely one of the cheaper areas, problem is if you do a city comparison the crime rate is above the national average.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Cheers
Bob! Please take a positive attitude about this. Put the negative thoughts aside....

As for the original point, I don't know a thing about Lawrence, MA. Sorry.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
That's what my Dad used to say when he looked scornfully at me.
proved him wrong then eh
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by RoB1833
Don't know too much about it. I've looked on the internet for affordable property to buy in Northern Ma it's definitely one of the cheaper areas, problem is if you do a city comparison the crime rate is above the national average.
Ain't that bothered by crime rates, it's all relative, as long as the place ain't a complete dive
supposed to be some sort of old mill town, that's about all I know of the place...going to do the research this evening, or tomorrow when the missus is at work.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Bob! Please take a positive attitude about this. Put the negative thoughts aside....
Errr....I could I guess...the guy did email me I suppose...which was a first...I originally asked about work last October when they weren't hiring..very weird place...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
proved him wrong then eh
not really.

I just moved 3000 miles away from a bitter disappointed old man.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:11 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Bob........

I have friends who live in Methuen and Andover who seem to like living in that neck of the woods (they commute from there to Boston).

From what I have heard there is a big immigrant population in Lawrence so good access to lots of ethnic food.....downside, there is a high amount of people living below the poverty line and things like car insurance can be very high - but maybe that means rents are cheap?!!

My best friend is from Lowell so next time I speak to her I'll ask her what she knows about Lawrence. Good luck with it!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:02 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

whoa that was a bit spooky ...she just called me......apparently Lawrence isn't great (she called it a sh*thole! ) and she suggested Andover or Haverill to live and commute in. She said there is a good bus system (mvrta) linking surrounding towns and commuter rail. Hope that helps a bit!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:47 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I just Mr Sibsie "what's Lawrence like". He said "slums" and then carried on cooking. Then he started on about some chick he used to date who lived there. Apparently she growed up mean!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by looselips
whoa that was a bit spooky ...she just called me......apparently Lawrence isn't great (she called it a sh*thole! ) and she suggested Andover or Haverill to live and commute in. She said there is a good bus system (mvrta) linking surrounding towns and commuter rail. Hope that helps a bit!
Hmmm....certainly sounding interesting, but good to know that public transport goes there, and it's not that far from boston, well anything within a couple hours ain't bad...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Lawerance, Mass?

You're right..it is a s*ithole! I lived there for 3 months back in 1998 and never again. There was a large proportion of Peuto Ricans there, in fact probably more there than in Peuto Rico itself!

The sister town Lowell had just the year before had a vote on weather the official language of Lowell should be English or Spainish.

However, the area around there is nice. Lawarence is an old mill town situated on the River Merrimac. Seen better days.

The best areas I saw whilst there were Salisbury, Newburyport and Plum Island all out on or near the coast.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live in Andover, which is just next door to Lawrence. Lawrence is the type of place, if you are driving through, lock the car doors, put the foot down and hope that you don't have to stop at a red light or the rail crossing. LOL. It's a bit run down and has some drug and other crime problems, but there seem to be some new businesses coming there. Andover is really quite expensive, but it has good facilities and a rail station and next to Rt 93 which goes right into Boston. We were in Andover for 2 years until it just got to expensive to buy a house there, and we moved on elsewhere in the state. The local news paper there is The Eagle Tribune and the one local to Lowell is the Sun. No not that Sun. Hope that helps Bob. If you need any more info drop me a pm. Jo.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by joto
...The local news paper there is The Eagle Tribune and the one local to Lowell is the Sun. No not that Sun. Hope that helps Bob. If you need any more info drop me a pm. Jo.
That's awesome, cheers
This place, if it works out, would be on Union St...where ever that is...hmmm...but least I've got plenty to look out for tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.