British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lawerance, Mass? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lawerance-mass-299076/)

Bob Apr 26th 2005 4:38 pm

Lawerance, Mass?

Well it probably isn't going to amount to anything, but anyway in case it does, just wondering if anyone has been there and knows what the town is like?

The usual questions really, is it worth living there or better to commute in?
Any decent public transport in town?
Rent affordable? Well reasonable rent for say a small apartment or a two bedroom house?

Gonna do all the usual suspects about salary comparisons, google for info and all that, but just wanted to know the feel of the place from others that knew first.

Cheers :)

Manc Apr 26th 2005 4:39 pm

Re: Lawerance, Mass?

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it probably isn't going to amount to anything,

That's what my Dad used to say when he looked scornfully at me.

RoB1833 Apr 26th 2005 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it probably isn't going to amount to anything, but anyway in case it does, just wondering if anyone has been there and knows what the town is like?

Rent affordable? Well reasonable rent for say a small apartment or a two bedroom house?

Gonna do all the usual suspects about salary comparisons, google for info and all that, but just wanted to know the feel of the place from others that knew first.

Don't know too much about it. I've looked on the internet for affordable property to buy in Northern Ma it's definitely one of the cheaper areas, problem is if you do a city comparison the crime rate is above the national average.

NC Penguin Apr 26th 2005 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Bob! Please take a positive attitude about this. Put the negative thoughts aside....

As for the original point, I don't know a thing about Lawrence, MA. Sorry.

NC Penguin

Bob Apr 26th 2005 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
That's what my Dad used to say when he looked scornfully at me.

proved him wrong then eh :D

Bob Apr 26th 2005 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by RoB1833
Don't know too much about it. I've looked on the internet for affordable property to buy in Northern Ma it's definitely one of the cheaper areas, problem is if you do a city comparison the crime rate is above the national average.

Ain't that bothered by crime rates, it's all relative, as long as the place ain't a complete dive :D
supposed to be some sort of old mill town, that's about all I know of the place...going to do the research this evening, or tomorrow when the missus is at work.

Bob Apr 26th 2005 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Bob! Please take a positive attitude about this. Put the negative thoughts aside....

Errr....I could I guess...the guy did email me I suppose...which was a first...I originally asked about work last October when they weren't hiring..very weird place...

Manc Apr 26th 2005 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
proved him wrong then eh :D

not really.

I just moved 3000 miles away from a bitter disappointed old man.

looselips Apr 26th 2005 8:11 pm

Hey Bob........

I have friends who live in Methuen and Andover who seem to like living in that neck of the woods (they commute from there to Boston).

From what I have heard there is a big immigrant population in Lawrence so good access to lots of ethnic food.....downside, there is a high amount of people living below the poverty line and things like car insurance can be very high - but maybe that means rents are cheap?!!

My best friend is from Lowell so next time I speak to her I'll ask her what she knows about Lawrence. Good luck with it!

looselips Apr 26th 2005 9:02 pm

whoa that was a bit spooky ...she just called me......apparently Lawrence isn't great (she called it a sh*thole! :eek: ) and she suggested Andover or Haverill to live and commute in. She said there is a good bus system (mvrta) linking surrounding towns and commuter rail. Hope that helps a bit!

sibsie Apr 26th 2005 9:47 pm

I just Mr Sibsie "what's Lawrence like". He said "slums" and then carried on cooking. Then he started on about some chick he used to date who lived there. Apparently she growed up mean!

Bob Apr 26th 2005 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by looselips
whoa that was a bit spooky ...she just called me......apparently Lawrence isn't great (she called it a sh*thole! :eek: ) and she suggested Andover or Haverill to live and commute in. She said there is a good bus system (mvrta) linking surrounding towns and commuter rail. Hope that helps a bit!

Hmmm....certainly sounding interesting, but good to know that public transport goes there, and it's not that far from boston, well anything within a couple hours ain't bad...

Brit3964 Apr 26th 2005 10:39 pm

You're right..it is a s*ithole! I lived there for 3 months back in 1998 and never again. There was a large proportion of Peuto Ricans there, in fact probably more there than in Peuto Rico itself!

The sister town Lowell had just the year before had a vote on weather the official language of Lowell should be English or Spainish.

However, the area around there is nice. Lawarence is an old mill town situated on the River Merrimac. Seen better days.

The best areas I saw whilst there were Salisbury, Newburyport and Plum Island all out on or near the coast.

joto Apr 27th 2005 2:05 am

We used to live in Andover, which is just next door to Lawrence. Lawrence is the type of place, if you are driving through, lock the car doors, put the foot down and hope that you don't have to stop at a red light or the rail crossing. LOL. It's a bit run down and has some drug and other crime problems, but there seem to be some new businesses coming there. Andover is really quite expensive, but it has good facilities and a rail station and next to Rt 93 which goes right into Boston. We were in Andover for 2 years until it just got to expensive to buy a house there, and we moved on elsewhere in the state. The local news paper there is The Eagle Tribune and the one local to Lowell is the Sun. No not that Sun. Hope that helps Bob. If you need any more info drop me a pm. Jo.

Bob Apr 27th 2005 3:41 am

Originally Posted by joto
...The local news paper there is The Eagle Tribune and the one local to Lowell is the Sun. No not that Sun. Hope that helps Bob. If you need any more info drop me a pm. Jo.

That's awesome, cheers :)
This place, if it works out, would be on Union St...where ever that is...hmmm...but least I've got plenty to look out for tomorrow :)