Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it law to carry your Green Card ?

Is it law to carry your Green Card ?

Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Is it law to carry your Green Card ?

Got stopped in a border check point down near the Mexican border this afternoon and they asked " Nationality", I said British and permanent resident and she asked to see my green card. I said it's in a draw at home somewhere I never carry it.

She said by law you have to - is this true ?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it law to carry your Green Card ?

Actually that does ring a bell...I never do though and it's a bit hmmm...Nazi Germany'ish. Why not just brand us all with a stake lol?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

It is the law. It's your identification, similar to your driver's license. It establishes that you're legally a permanent resident. I'm surprised there isn't paperwork that says somewhere you're required to carry it with you at all times.

And frankly, as a USC required to carry my identification at all times just to use my credit card, I don't find it at all like Nazi Germany.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I've never been asked to show identification when using a credit card...
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Permanent residents of the United States eighteen years of age or older must carry their valid physical green card itself at all times. Failing to do so would be a violation of the Immigration and Nationality Act, carrying the possibility of a fine up to $100 and/or imprisonment for up to 30 days for each offense. Only the federal government can impose these penalties
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Really? I've never been asked to show identification when using a credit card...
Lots of stores do random ID checks when you pay with card. I find it quite reassuring when they do do it, given that chip and PIN still seems pretty rare in the US and half the time they don't even seem to ask for a signature.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree it's a good idea, weirdly I can't recall it happening unless I'm renting a car or hotel room.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:33 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Lots of stores do random ID checks when you pay with card. I find it quite reassuring when they do do it, given that chip and PIN still seems pretty rare in the US and half the time they don't even seem to ask for a signature.
I find it a total waste of my time and theirs. The payment is either authorized by the card company or it ain't.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiekat
And frankly, as a USC required to carry my identification at all times just to use my credit card, I don't find it at all like Nazi Germany.
The British in general tend to have a strong dislike of being required to carry an "identity card" - for my parents "identity cards" evoked memories of the Second World War and therefore had very negative associations - although I wasn't born until 1956 I certainly picked up that feeling from them.

It's part of the idea that if you live in a truly "free" society you shouldn't have to prove who you are to anyone in normal circumstances - and you certainly shouldn't have to carry an identity card just to walk down the street. (Of course if you want to engage in a credit card transaction with someone that is a different matter - then you are entering into a contract and both parties have to agree on certain things and that may include providing some kind of identification)
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by md95065
It's part of the idea that if you live in a truly "free" society you shouldn't have to prove who you are to anyone in normal circumstances - and you certainly shouldn't have to carry an identity card just to walk down the street.
True that but good to know I have to carry the GC I better dig it out of whichever boxs it's in - thanks for the replies !
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:59 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the aversion to carrying identification, unless one has something to hide.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I don't understand the aversion to carrying identification, unless one has something to hide.
I do not, personally, have an aversion to carrying identification - I have an aversion to being required to carry identification.

The idea that the only people who would feel this way are ones that "have something to hide" seems a little naive - do you, by any chance, also think that only guilty people exercise their rights under the 5th amendment to the US constitution - and, anyway, what precisely is wrong with "having something to hide" ...
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:15 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I do not, personally, have an aversion to carrying identification - I have an aversion to being required to carry identification.

The idea that the only people who would feel this way are ones that "have something to hide" seems a little naive - do you, by any chance, also think that only guilty people exercise their rights under the 5th amendment to the US constitution - and, anyway, what precisely is wrong with "having something to hide" ...
If it is a condition of your PR then you can't really complain (well you can, but it makes no difference). Either become a citizen, or go back to the mother land!

It doesn't really matter what I think of the 5th amendment, I don't think that it is particularly relevant to this.

It's also a requirement to have proof of insurance in your vehicle, carry a passport to enter and exit the country, show ID to purchase age restricted products, and to withdraw money in a bank etc. It is just a fact of our modern world that identification is essential both where voluntary or compelled. I don't see it as sinister, or big brother-like, it's just necessary.

It would be lovely to all walk around and never answer or identify ourselves to anyone, but unfortunately there is a percentage of society that believe it or not are dishonest, and spoil things for everyone else.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Got stopped in a border check point down near the Mexican border this afternoon and they asked " Nationality", I said British and permanent resident and she asked to see my green card. I said it's in a draw at home somewhere I never carry it.

She said by law you have to - is this true ?
Yes, it is the law......I too have been asked to produce my Green card near to the Mexico border (notice that you are from Carlsbad and I am from San Diego). The Border Patrol agent said that it was 'advisable' to carry your card when in the vicinity of the border or when it was likely that you would encounter a Border Patrol, as on the freeways around San Diego area.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Originally Posted by fatbrit
I find it a total waste of my time and theirs. The payment is either authorized by the card company or it ain't.
But not all fraudulent purchases are detected (and thus refused) by the card company.

That said, it often is a waste of time in that they don't bother to take more than a cursory glance at the ID.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.