Lasik

Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Lasik

Anyone on here had Lasik done?

Only asking as I have just been for my annual eye exam and was talking to the optometrist about it. He said he would not have it done, he said although it is a common thing now, they still have not perfected it. Of course you say,he is going to say that, he sells glasses, contacts etc. He said what happens is they make one eye short sighted and one eye long sighted, I guess that sort of balances things out. He also said that if you are over 40 you may still have to wear reading glasses.

I also asked him about the new contact lenses for short sighted people, or people who are eligible for Lasik (they don't do long sighted yet). I saw this on our local news station the other nite here in AZ. Cannot remember if this originated here or what. Anyway, they have now come out with hard contact lenses that you wear overnite and the benefits last for up to 2 days. Apparently the lenses change the shape of the eye giving the same benefits as lasik. He says that this does work, but the cost is a bit prohibitive at the moment, they are $2000 a pair. Still in the beginning stages. He said as long as you follow the regimen of wearing the contacts at nite it works.

Anyhoo, it is bi-focals for me, getting old I guess. My husband laughed and called me an old fart, like I care. If you are lucky enough you will all get to live as long as me.

Just wondered what others experiences with Lasik have been. My husband is thinking about trying it.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I have two rules in life. No operations on my privates or my eyes. They are both too damn valuble if something should go wrong.

Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

One of my co-workers had it done a couple of years ago- it's been a new lease of life for her. She's had to wear glasses since she was 9 (is now in her 50's) and now can see without! She was thrilled with the procedure and results and has had no problems at all since.

A friend of mine in CA had it done and did experience a few problems immediately after procedure but is fine now.

I don't need glasses yet, although the time will soon come- the small print is getting harder to read LOL. I hope Lasik will be an option for me when my sight fails- so far, I haven't heard of anyone having major problems.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Been doing research recently myself. Came across this site http://www.surgicaleyes.org/ . It is one-sided, but I nevertheless found it very interesting after all the hurrah stories I'd heard.
I've decided nobody's touching my eyes. I've only got the pair of 'em!

Elaine
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Elaine (HunterGreen) and Pimpbot. I think that the downside risks are significantly greater than the upside benefits. Also I have worn glasses since I was eight years old and am pretty much used to wearing them all day, every day.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 10th 2004 at 2:18 am.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lasik

Originally posted by effi

Only asking as I have just been for my annual eye exam and was talking to the optometrist about it. He said he would not have it done, he said although it is a common thing now, they still have not perfected it. Of course you say,he is going to say that, he sells glasses, contacts etc. He said what happens is they make one eye short sighted and one eye long sighted, I guess that sort of balances things out. He also said that if you are over 40 you may still have to wear reading glasses.

I also asked him about the new contact lenses for short sighted people, or people who are eligible for Lasik (they don't do long sighted yet). I saw this on our local news station the other nite here in AZ. Cannot remember if this originated here or what. Anyway, they have now come out with hard contact lenses that you wear overnite and the benefits last for up to 2 days. Apparently the lenses change the shape of the eye giving the same benefits as lasik. He says that this does work, but the cost is a bit prohibitive at the moment, they are $2000 a pair. Still in the beginning stages. He said as long as you follow the regimen of wearing the contacts at nite it works.

Anyhoo, it is bi-focals for me, getting old I guess. My husband laughed and called me an old fart, like I care. If you are lucky enough you will all get to live as long as me.

Just wondered what others experiences with Lasik have been. My husband is thinking about trying it.
My wife had the surgery about 4 yrs ago, no problems at all.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 8:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Fiancee had it done last year. Had to go back for a rejig on one eye.

I went to see if it would suite me, I am with Pulaski on principal.

Could not se the point, I would end up longsighted so still need glases but the other way around. Suggested that you had one done so one eye was short and the other long......

No thanks
Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lasik

I had PRK (the forerunner of Lasik) done in the UK about 8 years ago. Best 900 quid I ever spent. I hated glasses and contacts. Now I can read signs further than most people can even SEE them. It gives you a whole new lease of life.
Downside: First it's not too great for people over about 35. Second you will most likely need reading glasses earlier in life (I'm fighting it off now at 43!). But compare how much time you need to read close up versus how much time you need to see further away (see what I'm saying?).
Overall I'd recommend it to anyone.
Andy
Old Apr 9th 2004, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Well looks another problem with my great age, 48. I would have needed reading glasses.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler
Well looks another problem with my great age, 48. I would have needed reading glasses.
My God! Someone older than me here! I was beginning to feel like an OAP in this group!

Andy.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

I think you mean Senior!!

Now that is a term that is guaranteed to confuse here.

Reminds me of when I took my Parents to France, my Mum was showing of her French (O level standard), and thought the Lady in the ticket booth said something about going to the third floor - etage - she asked her if she was of 'the third age', French for OAP.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by AndySmithers
My God! Someone older than me here! I was beginning to feel like an OAP in this group!

Andy.
Sorry, gotcha both by a couple of years.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Obviously! You've got 'Senior member' after your name!
I thought this was down to how many posts you made, obviously it's a sophisticated bit of software that counts how slowly you type and estimates your age!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

And one on me...but none of us are as old as Ray..only he probably won't be able to see this thread at his age. Let me know when he comes online, so I can duck.