Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Large Supermarkets in LA

Large Supermarkets in LA

Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Pump62kin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Large Supermarkets in LA

When I was growing-up in the SF Valley, Gelson's was extremely posh. Before it expanded, the original store was often frequented by various film stars and famous athletes. Back then, my family couldn't afford to shop there, but it was something to aspire to...

My father (a limo driver) often drove celebrities to the SF Valley store in the 1970s, and we lived vicariously through his anecdotes.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I could walk into any Sainsburys/Tescos/Asda... in the UK though, and buy Indian, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, products. Here I have to go to stores serving those communities, it's a little easier here, but LA especially was bad for that, and even going 5 miles could be an extra 30 minute journey.
Same up here more or less except for Mexican, aside from Old El Paso crap it's near impossible to find real Mexican food stuffs of any sort, so I don't even try anymore....

I found it odd you'd have trouble finding Mexican stuff in California, every location of any major chain I have been to in San Diego carries Mexican stuff, but I always lived in mixed diverse area's, maybe in the more affluent area's it could be harder, who knows.

No clue about Asian and Indian, never looked for it.

When I lived in Vancouver, I had to go 5km's out of my way to grocery shop at the same chain that was 1km from my house, but they carried almost nothing but Chinese oriented products and couldn't find much else, but if you want chicken feet, fish heads and so on, good place.

No 2 stores of the same chain are ever the same, the local store now has nearly no Asian/Indian stuff, but go 1 hour away, and it's the opposite.

We have a lot of organic though, more then you'd find elsewhere because of the local demographics.

I miss US grocery stores and the selection of goods. We have crummy selection compared to the US.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 18th 2015 at 6:59 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Locate a Trader Joe's. Buy everything there except for cleaning products and branded stuff if you can't live without your cheerios or coke etc. Locate a Costco. Buy all your branded products and washing powder there in bulk (and I do mean bulk). I've always found Albertsons more expensive than Ralph's/Vons. And don't forget to use your club card each and every time and scan the bottom and top part of the shelves (they put the cheaper goods here rather than at eye level.)
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Same up here more or less except for Mexican, aside from Old El Paso crap it's near impossible to find real Mexican food stuffs of any sort, so I don't even try anymore....

I found it odd you'd have trouble finding Mexican stuff in California, every location of any major chain I have been to in San Diego carries Mexican stuff, but I always lived in mixed diverse area's, maybe in the more affluent area's it could be harder, who knows.

No clue about Asian and Indian, never looked for it.

Mexican stuff is easy here, as is Indian and Chinese, but you can't buy it all in one store, like in the UK, which was my point.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... No clue about Asian and Indian, never looked for it.
And that, I suspect is the reason that US groceries cater mostly only to their local minorities - Americans seem to me to be very conservative in their dining habits, especially at home.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Mexican stuff is easy here, as is Indian and Chinese, but you can't buy it all in one store, like in the UK, which was my point.
All my local supermarkets carry the basics of all these cuisines, plus Thai and Korean. However, if I want a big bag of my favorite Indian hot mix, a few packages of papadums, or a handful of curry leaves, I do have to go to the Indian store.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And that, I suspect is the reason that US groceries cater mostly only to their local minorities - Americans seem to me to be very conservative in their dining habits, especially at home.
...probably because it's cheaper to eat out/whack a frozen/prepped meal in the microwave than to cook from scratch.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
...probably because it's cheaper to eat out/whack a frozen/prepped meal in the microwave than to cook from scratch.
Certainly cheaper that is for sure. I spend double when I buy all fresh and cook from scratch. Not much out there I can make cheaper then buying it already made, doesn't taste as good though.

Lasagna is a big one, can buy a frozen one for 5-6 dollars, if I make it, looking at 20-25 dollars from scratch, the cheese alone will cost 10-12 dollars.

Hamburger's at fast food places 1.39 to 1.79 depending on where, no way I can make a burger that cheap at home, but then it's not as good, but when short on cash, it does fill the belly.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:35 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly cheaper that is for sure. I spend double when I buy all fresh and cook from scratch. Not much out there I can make cheaper then buying it already made, doesn't taste as good though.

Lasagna is a big one, can buy a frozen one for 5-6 dollars, if I make it, looking at 20-25 dollars from scratch, the cheese alone will cos meat to make the hambut 10-12 dollars.

Hamburger's at fast food places 1.39 to 1.79 depending on where, no way I can make a burger that cheap at home, but then it's not as good, but when short on cash, it does fill the belly.
But you could do if you used the fillers (crap) they use to make it. For example very little "cheese" in the cheese used in the lasagna and very little "meat" in the meat used in the lasagna and hamburger. Works out quite a lot cheaper than buying the real thing and making it from scratch at home.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 8:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I don't get this. Buying hamburger meat, a package of buns, a head of lettuce, a few tomatoes, supplies the makings for more than one meal. I have to admit to not having eaten at a fast food place for decades, but I recall the portions as being very meagre and not very nutritious. Doing it oneself seems like a far better bargain to me.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 8:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I don't get this. Buying hamburger meat, a package of buns, a head of lettuce, a few tomatoes, supplies the makings for more than one meal. I have to admit to not having eaten at a fast food place for decades, but I recall the portions as being very meagre and not very nutritious. Doing it oneself seems like a far better bargain to me.
It is. For the same nutritional value, it is much cheaper to eat at home with ingredients from scratch. But you actually have to cook, shop wisely, and keep your pantry stocked, which is more than most people want to do.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Originally Posted by Leslie
It is. For the same nutritional value, it is much cheaper to eat at home with ingredients from scratch. But you actually have to cook, shop wisely, and keep your pantry stocked, which is more than most people want to do.
I think many people have given up juggling all the different uses of perishable foods, such as salad vegetables and fresh meat. If you buy a head of lettuce but can't make productive use of the rest of it having put one leaf on each of two burgers then the rest is going to waste. Similarly with tomatoes.

We might have a regular garden salad, then maybe a Mexican salad with taco meat, then use some beef for burgers and put lettuce and tomato on the burger, then maybe put some meat in a bolognese, perhaps lettuce and tomatoes in sandwich for lunch, make a side salad for a steak. ..... The permutations are endless.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2015 at 8:32 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 8:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think many people have given up juggling all the different uses of perishable foods, such as salad vegetables and fresh meat. If you buy a head of lettuce but can't make productive use of the rest of it having put one leaf on each of two burgers then the rest is going to waste. Similarly with tomatoes.

We might have a regular garden salad, then maybe a Mexican salad with taco meat, then use some beef for burgers and put lettuce and tomato on the burger, then maybe put some meat in a bolognese, perhaps lettuce and tomatoes in sandwich for lunch, make a side salad for a steak. ..... The permutations are endless.
The permutations are indeed endless with most fresh foods. But if someone can't figure out what to do with a head of lettuce other than stick a couple of leaves on a burger . . . then it may be time to give up all hope for the future of mankind!
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As pointed out already, even within a chain, the stock can vary by demand. For example, we like the bottled herring at Costco in Van Nuys. Costco in Los Feliz doesn't carry it.

For Ralphs, look for "Fresh Fare" stores, they are more upscale with better selection. Gelson's is usually quite good.

Every so often one sees mentions of "food deserts" of neighborhoods where one can't buy fresh food at supermarkets. The term is usually used for the poor areas, but it seems to me that Beverly Hills is a food desert.

Whole Foods tend to be large and pricey. My local Ralphs has closed and will be a smaller version of Whole Foods which they will try.

The best big supermarket I've seen is Wegmans. However, they are in Western New York.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Stater Brothers is quite good and has some good special offers at times. It's a bit less pricy than Albertsons. We have a Haggen which took over Vons. I have only been there once or twice. It's ok for fruit and veg, but over the top in it's prices. There seems to be a lot less people using it than when it was Vons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.