Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Large Car Insurance Premiums

Large Car Insurance Premiums

Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large Car Insurance Premiums

Originally Posted by bjf
Hi. I've just moved to Charlotte, North Carolina and I have been shocked by the premiums that I am being quoted for Car Insurance. For a not at all flash car I've been quoted around $1500 for 6 months- liability only. I've been told by brokers this is because they do not recognise my foreign driving experience.
Has anyone else encountered this & found any cheaper providers?
You have to obtain an NC driver's license within 60 days of establishing residency. See:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newn.../newcomers.pdf

Do not hand over/give up your UK license even if the DMV staff ask you for it. They have no jurisdiction over your British license.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:30 am
bjf
Just Joined

bjf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I feel your pain. I assume you hold a full British driving licence? I didn't when I moved to NC which means I had to get my first full driving license in the US. In NC for the first three years of holding a full driving license, you're considered an "inexperienced driver". Age and gender are ignored. So, for the first year auto insurance for me and my spouse was over $3000! It dropped every six months (you pay for six months coverage at a time).

I was with Nationwide for the first two years. The agent was trying to pull a fast one on me and refused to lower the premium when she should have (because of some NC Dept of Insurance ruling) so I switched to GEICO and that's whom I've been with since then.

Be aware of all the minimum coverage that the state of NC imposes on auto insurance. Do not drive under-insured. There a lot of crappy drivers in NC. Are you the only person on the policy? Do you have a USC spouse? Maybe his/her driving record isn't so good and that's one reason why you've been quoted higher premiums.
Thanks for all your replies. I should have mentioned I just passed by North Carolina Driving Test and did a round of quotes which came out higher than before I had the test (don't quite understand that)
Does credit history play a big part in insurance costs?

NC Penguin - are you in Charlotte? The drivers are terrible here (might be related to the driving test being very easy).
Thanks for the advice about not taking the minimum insurance. I think I will take the defensive driving course - it will come in handy anyway.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bjf
Thanks for all your replies. I should have mentioned I just passed by North Carolina Driving Test and did a round of quotes which came out higher than before I had the test (don't quite understand that)

NC Penguin - are you in Charlotte? The drivers are terrible here (might be related to the driving test being very easy).
Thanks for the advice about not taking the minimum insurance. I think I will take the defensive driving course - it will come in handy anyway.
I can only speak for Colorado, really its like different countries.

Farmers charge an extra 10% for a non US License.

But it is highly unlikely that someone with ut a US license would qualify for their best plans.

A good credit rating can knock of quite a bit, but its better to have no record than a bad one.

Try getting a quote in the UK with a US license for some big numbers.

You ned a high liablity limit otherwise you will lose out on decent Underinsured/Uninsured coverage.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sangiano
We're moving to Delaware in late January 2008 and have been investigating insurance quotes.

$1500 / 6 months for liability only seems very high, unless you are very young.

Progressive quoted us $1900 for good liability cover, collision, comprehensive and PIP for 2 drivers on a brand new VW Golf GTi. This was including a surcharge for using UK driving licences. We could reduce that by a further $200 by taking a high deductible on the collision element. They said that Delaware was a relatively expensive State to insure in.

State Minimum liability cover was $557 and decent Liability cover only was $804.

I think we will wait until we have our Delaware licences and save a further 10% by taking the defensive drivers course ($28 each I think).

I think the answer, as others have said, is to shop around.
Hey, how you liking the GTI? I just got a brand new one too through International Autosource. Great for taking off at lights!

Anyway - i just got my car insurance for this too - Got quoted just over $1000 for 6 months with AIG International Services Membership (was quoted twice as much at Gico and progressive). Membership cost me $400, but with the insurance saving, it's paying for its self AND you get some extra stuff thrown in for free. Still, even $1000 is expensive compared to the £350 I was paying a year in the UK for a YEAR - even after writing a car off!

The only reason I can think as to why its so expensive out here is that Americans cant drive (at least in Georgia anyway). They are aggressive, selfish and scary! Probably because they all drive MASSIVE fuel gussling machines which make them feel invincible. OK - I am sure that there are some good drivers out there, but from my experience, they are very few and far between during the hours of 7:30 and 9:00 and 17:00 and 19:00 (sorry, 05:00 PM and 07:00 PM)...

Grrrrr!!!! Lets get rid of some of those traffic-light controlled intersections and replace them with roundabouts... Will make my trip work and back quicker and it will also provide some entertainment watching them trying to figure out how to navigate a roundabout (sorry, circle)... lol
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjf

One's credit score probably does play a part in calculating a premium. So, for newcomers to the country who aren't married to an American, it's a disadvantage.

No. I live in Durham, in the Triangle. When I took my driving test, the practical part, behind the wheel, only lasted 7 minutes. I was so disappointed because I'd expected something more challenging than that.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Just got an insurance quote today from Geico for an s type Jag in AZ, they weren't sure of the exact model so gave a top rate of $750 for 6 months.

So I expect a bit less than that, this is for comprehensive with $500 deductible.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Norri
Just got an insurance quote today from Geico for an s type Jag in AZ, they weren't sure of the exact model so gave a top rate of $750 for 6 months.

So I expect a bit less than that, this is for comprehensive with $500 deductible.
What limits?
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What limits?
Limits? not sure what you mean
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Norri
Limits? not sure what you mean
Liability Limits

UM Limits
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Liability Limits

UM Limits
yeah - you need to watch the limits, you might get a cheap quote but with low limits you may end up with not enough coverage and being out of pocket. Geico were so cheap for us this time that i pretty much maxed out the relevant coverage!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
we originally went with Allstate who (despite no supposed to be able to) took into account our UK no claims! We paid at most about $450 per six months. Just moved to GEICO and now pay a little over $300. That is with fully loaded levels of coverage too.

You are not in NYC and NYC insurance is not $300 per six month period. Perhaps you have a motorized bicycle. We are in Westchester in New York State and we pay $1200 per month for two vehicles; one is a 2007 truck and the other is a 2005 car. Both are fully covered and includes $500 deductible and full glass coverage; roadside assistance and mechanic's coverage. And we, too, have GEICO. In fact I have had the same policy for over 30 years.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You are not in NYC and NYC insurance is not $300 per six month period. Perhaps you have a motorized bicycle. We are in Westchester in New York State and we pay $1200 per month for two vehicles; one is a 2007 truck and the other is a 2005 car. Both are fully covered and includes $500 deductible and full glass coverage; roadside assistance and mechanic's coverage. And we, too, have GEICO. In fact I have had the same policy for over 30 years.
You pay $1200 PER MONTH............ surely not!!!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You pay $1200 PER MONTH............ surely not!!!
Ouch.....!!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I lied - I am in Westchester too. I insure a 2003 Subaru outback for my wife and I (I have a company car on seperate insurance) the premium was $350 once I maxed out the limits. I have a $500 deductible and the roadside cover all in. This is a six month figure - previously with Allstate it was nearly $500 - which went up a lot from when we moved up from Texas.

Thanks for calling me a liar though - appreciate that
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

with minimum coverage my wifes shitty jeep was 120 for 6 months (now at about 175 with much higher liability limits)

even with higher liability limits my porsche is 430 for 6 months with my avalanche being 370 for 6 months

liability limits should not be at minimum unless you rent a house and have no assets for someone to potentially sue to for...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.