Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Wikiposts

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I wonder what percentage of posters have actually had a liability claim that their renter's insurance has paid? I suspect it's very very small.

I have from last September. The upstairs neighbor flooded her bathroom which came through my ceiling and walls. It damaged the bedroom carpeting, clothing in the closet, linens in the linen closet, the ceiling in both the bathroom and hallway needed replacement as did some of the walls. The wood floors buckled. The landlord refused to reimburse us for the deductible and our renter's insurance company is still fighting it. Our insurance paid for everything less the $500 deductible.

So tell me why I would want the LL named on the policy? So he could be reimbursed for the work done by his people to replace walls and ceilings? That is what he has insurance for.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I have from last September. The upstairs neighbor flooded her bathroom which came through my ceiling and walls. It damaged the bedroom carpeting, clothing in the closet, linens in the linen closet, the ceiling in both the bathroom and hallway needed replacement as did some of the walls. The wood floors buckled. The landlord refused to reimburse us for the deductible and our renter's insurance company is still fighting it. Our insurance paid for everything less the $500 deductible.

So tell me why I would want the LL named on the policy? So he could be reimbursed for the work done by his people to replace walls and ceilings? That is what he has insurance for.
Thank you for giving your situation. This is one of the scenarios I had in mind.

You are concerned about that $500 deductible, as well you should. You think HIS insurance should pay for it. A lot of people don't realize that if two parties to an auto accident have the same insurance carrier and apportionment of liability questionable, the deductibles become irrelevant.

This is why I am puzzled. I think your ability to have been paid the $500 is a "good reason" to influence your insurance choices. However, others think that your concern about that $500 is meaningless. And they have not explained why.

Perhaps you explain your concern.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it was your neighbours issue.

Were they at fault?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Fighting who? Seems to me the liability here is either with the renter above or their landlord.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
A lot of people don't realize that if two parties to an auto accident have the same insurance carrier and apportionment of liability questionable, the deductibles become irrelevant.
I know that as a fact as well. The man who hit me 16 months ago has the same insurance company as I have. There was no issue of deductible. Company just reimburses itself on paper.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:04 am
Concierge

Perhaps you explain your concern.
Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like it was your neighbours issue.

Were they at fault?
Fighting who? Seems to me the liability here is either with the renter above or their landlord.

Yes, yes, and yes. The landlord maintains the co-op owner who flooded the bathroom must pay my deductible and not the building management and/or the co-op management. The owner above has defaulted on her mortgage and has no insurance. Thus, my insurance is going after any and all to see if they can get the deductible. I would like my $500. Hell we were sawing wood when I woke up to use the facilities and found myself wading through water. I was not at fault in any way, shape or form. I'm aware that I will be eating the deductible but my insurance company would like to reimbursed for their outlay as well.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Yes, yes, and yes. The landlord maintains the co-op owner who flooded the bathroom must pay my deductible and not the building management and/or the co-op management. The owner above has defaulted on her mortgage and has no insurance. Thus, my insurance is going after any and all to see if they can get the deductible. I would like my $500. Hell we were sawing wood when I woke up to use the facilities and found myself wading through water. I was not at fault in any way, shape or form. I'm aware that I will be eating the deductible but my insurance company would like to reimbursed for their outlay as well.
They probably are not doing anything.

If the negligent party has no resources, then it would be good money after bad.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of my next door neighbor in IL, He had asked me to park his friends classic car in my garage for a couple of days, we were friends (at the time) and I was happy to do it. Unfortunately, we had a huge hail storm a day later and my car got pretty badly damaged. My ins' cover paid for the repairs, but I had to pay a $500 deductible Neither the neighbor nor the classic car owner would contribute anything towards those charges...just ONE of the reasons we are no longer friends
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The person who was actually negligent and at fault has an "empty pocket" and the insurance companies [yours and the building's] are motivated to point fingers, while you would like to pick [so to speak] the deep pocket.

BTW, as an aside, as you know the co-op apartment arrangement is common to the New York metropolitan area but rare elsewhere. I wonder if that mucks-up the works in any way?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Commentator

Liability is often not an "either/or" proposition. Its complicated.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

Liability is often not an "either/or" proposition. Its complicated.
Which is one of the reasons you have your own first party cover.

Back on subject, at least Rete did not have to deal with them settling her losses in both her name and that of the Co Op.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Boiler
Which is one of the reasons you have your own first party cover.

Back on subject,
at least Rete did not have to deal with them settling her losses in both her name and that of the Co Op.
Out of idle curiosity, what was "the subject" you are referring to? I did not recognize that there was a primary subject other than the one in the original post: is it advisable to list the landlord on as an insured on the tenant's insurance?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Out of idle curiosity, what was "the subject" you are referring to? I did not recognize that there was a primary subject other than the one in the original post: is it advisable to list the landlord on as an insured on the tenant's insurance?
That's the one.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Rete.....

It wasn't my fault I got robbed..... but I still paid my $500 deductible.

that was on the policy.

you're insurance company doesn't give a monkeys' who's at fault.

if they are going to give you money, then they take the deductible off the top.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Rete.....

It wasn't my fault I got robbed..... but I still paid my $500 deductible.

that was on the policy.

you're insurance company doesn't give a monkeys' who's at fault.

if they are going to give you money, then they take the deductible off the top.
That's the bottom line huh? somebody/anybody has to cough that up! Jow's everything going Manc? You guys doing ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.