Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Wikiposts

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Originally Posted by Boiler

I see no point in the landlord being an insured party on a liability policy, the policy only covers the tenants liability not that of the property owner. I can see the point of the landlords interest being noted so that he would have notice if the tenant did not renew etc and cover was required to be in place as part of the letting contract.
I am still puzzled by your conclusion. In fact, I find the post internally contradictory.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I am still puzzled by your conclusion. In fact, I find the post internally contradictory.
And would you care to enlighten us as to why you are puzzled, instead of being so cryptic? I, and perhaps a few others, would like to understand why it would ever be a good idea to list a LL as an additional insured on an RI policy.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:58 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
These are the facts for all of you Desktop Lawyers attempting to use fancy Terminology in trying to dispute my simple explanation I originally posted, but not applying it in the proper context, some are so eager to argue for no other reason then arguing.
It's really obvious that you don't quite understand what's being discussed here. But thanks for playing.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
And would you care to enlighten us as to why you are puzzled, instead of being so cryptic? I, and perhaps a few others, would like to understand why it would ever be a good idea to list a LL as an additional insured on an RI policy.
No problem -- I already said it. There appears to be a dispute over the term "conflict." Inherently, there is a "conflict" between the insurance carrier's financial interest against paying claims and its contractual obligation to do so. On top of that, the carrier is often the gorilla in the room and they set the rules. A lot of insurance law is premised on dealing with the conflict.

I think the existence of the "conflict" between the policy holder and its own insureds is obvious. However, when I brought this up, one of responses was that I was creating a "conflict" where none existed. [To be fair, there was also another post that agreed].

Every particular fact situation is different -- terms of the contract may vary, local practice may vary. In addition, insurance is often a matter of STATE law.

I have no idea whether it is advisable for the OP to add the landlord to the coverage or not. There are too many variables. There are possible benefits and possible risks.

However, I do see that it mayvery well be beneficial to the tenant's financial interests to have the landlord allied with the tenant when it comes time to deal with the claims. I consider protection of one's own financial interest to be a "good reason" to take a course of action.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:07 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

However, I do see that it mayvery well be beneficial to the tenant's financial interests to have the landlord allied with the tenant when it comes time to deal with the claims.
In situations when there is any question over owner vs. tenant liability, the landlord and tenant are natural adversaries. There isn't much reason for a renter to name a natural adversary as an additional insured, while the renter doesn't have it reciprocated vis-a-vis the owner's policy.

I think the existence of the "conflict" between the policy holder and its own insureds is obvious. However, when I brought this up, one of responses was that I was creating a "conflict" where none existed.
You obviously misunderstood the response.

The point was that during situations when there is a question as to which insurance policy applies, the dispute between landlord and tenant is a given. You clearly miss this.

Naming the landlord as an additional insured imposes a duty on the renter's policy, and by extension, the renter that doesn't otherwise exist. The last thing that the renter should want is to be obliged to have his own insurer represent the opposing party.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think of it this way, do you add your clients as joint insured on your PI policy?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In situations when there is any question over owner vs. tenant liability, the landlord and tenant are natural adversaries. There isn't much reason for a renter to name a natural adversary as an additional insured, while the renter doesn't have it reciprocated vis-a-vis the owner's policy.

You obviously misunderstood the response.

The point was that during situations when there is a question as to which insurance policy applies, the dispute between landlord and tenant is a given. You clearly miss this.

Naming the landlord as an additional insured imposes a duty on the renter's policy, and by extension, the renter that doesn't otherwise exist. The last thing that the renter should want is to be obliged to have his own insurer represent the opposing party.
Sigh. Be nice.

We agree on the statements in bold.

I read your response as also containing unsupported conclusions and an insult or two. These are indicated by underline.

I have noted my observations and perceptions. I have a belief that conclusions should be supported by facts and analysis. I have no idea what is advisable for OP. His question is a good one and is entitled to good cogent discussion of the factors. However, I believe that unsupported conclusions are of no help.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 7:07 am
Bloody Yank

Be nice.
You probably should have thought of that before you posted #54.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You probably should have thought of that before you posted #54.
Mea culpa. I will admit that I internally had a bad reaction of the rudeness in post #53. I tried to tone it down, but I guess I should have toned it down more.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:41 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Meadowlands
Thank you for all your replies. You have confirmed what we thought. Very reassuring

My husbands employer has signed the lease and is now asking us to get the insurance. We are going to go back to them and say that we don't think we need it and that it does NOT appear to be a standard clause (we have asked 2 other colleagues and they don't have it).

Will let you know how we get on. Don't really want to fall out with new employers before we get there but not happy to give the landlord equal rights to our insurance. Also want to see his insurance to make sure he has suitable over.
I had lunch the other day with a lawyer friend who practices real estate law. He actually was laughing at the consensus in this thread that you should act against your own best interests.

In fact, he always recommends that, even if the landlord does not request it, the landlord should be named on the tenant's insurance.

I am still puzzled why the people on this thread are adamantly opposed to what seems to be a quite sensible idea.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had lunch the other day with a lawyer friend who practices real estate law.
Now somebody who practices Insurance Law, such observations would be interesting.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:28 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Let me state first that I haven't read this entire thread yet. However, I live in Virginia and my rental lease requires that 1) I have renter's insurance and 3) that the apartment management company (landlord) be listed as an additional insured. This is so they'll be notified if the policy is ever cancelled.

I've lived here for 9.5 years but this requirement wasn't introduced to my lease until 3-4 years ago. Before that, tenants were only strongly encouraged to obtain renters insurance.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I had lunch the other day with a lawyer friend who practices real estate law. He actually was laughing at the consensus in this thread that you should act against your own best interests.

In fact, he always recommends that, even if the landlord does not request it, the landlord should be named on the tenant's insurance.

I am still puzzled why the people on this thread are adamantly opposed to what seems to be a quite sensible idea.
He is a Real Estate Lawyer, he probably thinks, tenant should hand back a fully painted, brand new unit? He probably thinks, there is no acceptable "Wear & Tear"? He probably thinks, tenant should pay, for Landlords building insurance as in "Net Lease" commercial. He thinks, tenant, should pay to maintain, the appliances.
Bit, like asking the the poacher to look after the hen house, he is a Real Estate Lawyer, priority #1, look after, Landlord.

Repeat myself, never ever ever, heard of Renters Policy, naming Landlord. Merely the sight of the said, policy.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by frrussre
He is a Real Estate Lawyer, he probably thinks, tenant should hand back a fully painted, brand new unit? He probably thinks, there is no acceptable "Wear & Tear"? He probably thinks, tenant should pay, for Landlords building insurance as in "Net Lease" commercial. He thinks, tenant, should pay to maintain, the appliances.
Bit, like asking the the poacher to look after the hen house, he is a Real Estate Lawyer, priority #1, look after, Landlord.

Repeat myself, never ever ever, heard of Renters Policy, naming Landlord. Merely the sight of the said, policy.

Reg. Frank R.
Interesting. Personally, I think that "reasonable wear & tear" would be to the benefit of the tenant. You are free to disagree with that.

I see nothing wrong with a tenant acting in his own interest even if it also benefits the landlord.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Personally, I think that "reasonable wear & tear" would be to the benefit of the tenant. You are free to disagree with that.

I see nothing wrong with a tenant acting in his own interest even if it also benefits the landlord.

Think you are miss reading my comments.
Reasonable wear & tear or "Fair Wear & tear, is virtually always the norm, judges certainly agree, but a few unscrupulous Landlords, expect their property back, in perfect condition, UNUSED. They then use it as an excuse, to keep the security deposits.

A 36 month lease car with 36k, mile on the clock, is no longer going to be in perfect condition, there will be wear (Not rips tears & wilful damage), wear, that was priced into the monthly rent.

Same as rental home, carpet, stove, fridge, walls, cannot be perfect after being lived in.

Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.