Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That's the bottom line huh? somebody/anybody has to cough that up! Jow's everything going Manc? You guys doing ok?
yeah sound.

insurance did cough up quite a bit in fact. am very happy with them.

but renters insurance is a contract between you and the insurance company to cough up to the policy limits minus the deductible for a covered loss.

that's the be all and end all.

If Rete wants the hassle of persuing $500 in the court system then that's upto her, but no-one is outright obliged to just give her $500 because she says so.

Personally, I get insurance as I don't want the hassle of persuing people in court.

p.s. I know this thead is way off topic, but the landlord cannot be an additional insured on you renters policy. He doesn't have any financial interest in your Stereo / computer / TV etc etc...... Just as you cannot take out life insurance on a person you have no financial interest in either. it is the same concept.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
yeah sound.

but renters insurance is a contract between you and the insurance company to cough up to the policy limits minus the deductible for a covered loss.

that's the be all and end all.

If Rete wants the hassle of persuing $500 in the court system then that's upto her, but no-one is outright obliged to just give her $500 because she says so.

Personally, I get insurance as I don't want the hassle of persuing people in court.

p.s. I know this thead is way off topic, but the landlord cannot be an additional insured on you renters policy. He doesn't have any financial interest in your Stereo / computer / TV etc etc...... Just as you cannot take out life insurance on a person you have no financial interest in either. it is the same concept.
Insurable Interest and Life Insurance is a bit more complicated.

What am I doing... I spent 30 years dealing with this crap, do not want to go there!!!!!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
yeah sound.

Good to hear
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:51 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to MI, Plenty of Questions...

Originally Posted by _Orpheus_
Hello Everyone,

the thing that I am looking into at the moment is insurance. Obviously I am going to need car insurance (Im not sure whether I am going to buy a car or get a cheap lease through work) as well as renter insurance. I also need to sort out a bank account of some description.
The renters insurance is unnecessary. There are very good consumer protections in the U.S. and the landlord is liable for just about everything so all you'd be insuring is the theft of your coffee table or tv maybe?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

amadge is an unknown quantity at this point

Renters' insurance is only around $100/year though. It's pretty good coverage in case someone steals your laptop/TV or the place burns down and you lose everything.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:20 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Cheers for your reply Drop but I have been specifically told by my apartment rental company that I will need rental insurance.
It's not required by law..Here's another tip- When you do business in America, never believe what the person you're doing business with tells you. They may have said "you'll need to get renters insurance" but what they should have said was "we'd love it if you got renters insurance". It's like buying fraud protection for your credit cards when the banks are by law already completely liable for any fraud occurring on your accounts. Don't do it
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

_Orpheus_ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply again, but I have to agree with Amadge. It would make sense considering it is little over $100 per year, less if I bundle it with car insurance, and would provide me with additional protection.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
It's not required by law..Here's another tip- When you do business in America, never believe what the person you're doing business with tells you. They may have said "you'll need to get renters insurance" but what they should have said was "we'd love it if you got renters insurance". It's like buying fraud protection for your credit cards when the banks are by law already completely liable for any fraud occurring on your accounts. Don't do it
You know Drop, you really should not be giving out any advice,
It may not be required by Law, but if it required by the buildings Management company to have Renters Ins, they have a right NOT to rent to you if you do not supply it.
Why mislead the OP ?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

_Orpheus_ is on a distinguished road

Thank you Oregon, much appreciated
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:53 pm
Banned

Thanks for your reply again, but I have to agree with Amadge. It would make sense considering it is little over $100 per year, less if I bundle it with car insurance, and would provide me with additional protection.
I really hate seeing my mates get fleeced over here...

Some parting words: It's dog eat dog over here, it's every man for himself and it will serve you well to remember that. Good luck my friend.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
You know Drop, you really should not be giving out any advice,
It may not be required by Law, but if it required by the buildings Management company to have Renters Ins, they have a right NOT to rent to you if you do not supply it.
Why mislead the OP ?
It varies greatly by states, cities, and communities but by and large, it's not required by law.

I tell you what- Get in your apartment and then ask your neighbors about it. It's a good ice breaker and I bet none of them have it. Not only that, once they hear your accent they are going to think you're a Babe in the Woods and they are going to want to help you avoid common pitfalls like "Renters Insurance"
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It varies greatly by states, cities, and communities but by and large, it's not required by law.

I tell you what- Get in your apartment and then ask your neighbors about it. It's a good ice breaker and I bet none of them have it. Not only that, once they hear your accent they are going to think you're a Babe in the Woods and they are going to want to help you avoid common pitfalls like "Renters Insurance"
Renters insurance is for your stuff, it would be dumb not to have it. The US has pretty much 0 consumer protection so I don't know where you got that idea from. A landlords insurance will not cover your stuff if something happens to it other than maybe the building falls down because it was not properly maintained. If you get burgled, the landlords insurance will cover the damage to the building and landlord owned stuff but your personal positions are your responsibility.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Renters insurance is for your stuff, it would be dumb not to have it. The US has pretty much 0 consumer protection so I don't know where you got that idea from. A landlords insurance will not cover your stuff if something happens to it other than maybe the building falls down because it was not properly maintained. If you get burgled, the landlords insurance will cover the damage to the building and landlord owned stuff but your personal positions are your responsibility.
You're talking to a landlord
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You're talking to a landlord
So you cover your tenants positions including when they are stored away from your premises or whilst being transported in their car at the same coverage level and loss/damage levels that a renters insurance policy does? You must be a nice landlord.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
So you cover your tenants positions including when they are stored away from your premises or whilst being transported in their car at the same coverage level and loss/damage levels that a renters insurance policy does? You must be a nice landlord.
Like I said, renters insurance only covers the renters possessions and if you just came over from the U.K. with nothing but a suitcase and are moving into a small apartment how many possessions will you have? Nobodies going to steal your bed? And as a Landlord I know all about the consumer protections..I've been awaken numerous times in the middle of the night to fix a furnace, clean a clogged drain and even unplug a toilet. When anything goes wrong renters are right on the phone to the Landlord..It's so bad that at times i've left properties empty rather than deal with the renters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.